PDA

View Full Version : dust collector impeller removal

Kenny hill
01-30-2013, 8:22 PM
I am having trouble removing the impeller on my dayton blower 5hp 3ph model 4c330. i removed the set screws on the side of the shaft and loosened the key up but can not seem to be able to wedge the impeller off? This is on a oneida cylcone with a 13 1/2" impeller. Anyone know how to get this off. I need to change the motor bearings so this needs to come off.

thanks kenny

David Kumm
01-30-2013, 8:28 PM
Did you check for two set screws, one on top of the other? My Oneida impeller had that set up. Even with both out I had to drill and tap the collar and install a piece of 1/4" steel for my bearing puller. All impellers should come with taper lock bushings. I've never had one come off easily. You can also try heating the collar with a torch but be careful. Dave

Brian Brightwell
01-30-2013, 8:33 PM
I would drill and tap a couple small holes in the flat part of the impeller and use a bar puller. Put something between the bar and the shaft (large nut-pipe nipple ect.)and crank down on the newly tapped bolts. If you don't have a regular puller you can use key stock or something like it. Put a little lub on the threads. Use never-seize on the shaft when going back and you will not have this problem again.

Kenny hill
01-30-2013, 8:40 PM
thanks David and Brian, i was prying and wedging but did not want to start too aggresive until i checked. I could see that impeller in two pieces in a heart beat. I have a 8" pulley puller, i tap and give it a shot.

I appriciate the help!

paul dyar
01-31-2013, 10:50 PM
I would try a little heat.

Joseph Casbarian
08-18-2014, 7:31 PM
Did you have any luck with this? I'm in the same boat with mine.

Ole Anderson
08-19-2014, 8:37 AM
Yea, the world would be a better place if every OP would make a final post to let us know how things worked out.