PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Essentials DVDs

Dave Richards
01-30-2013, 6:57 PM
I don't know where to put this and I probably got the wrong forum. If so, I hope a mod will move it to the correct location.

I was poking around through my various woodworking site links today and came across a sale banner on the Workshop Essentials (http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/) site. Well, it's free shipping worldwide but that works out to a pretty good savings. I've already got the entire set of DVDs and I think they are excellent. They are certainly worth the money. Steve, the author, offers a lot of great ideas with jigs and tips for all sorts of woodworking tasks. In one of his Bandsaw DVDs he talks about tuning up your bandsaw. When I've seen videos from others on using bandsaws or read articles on them, the authors always talk about adjusting the fence to compensate for blade drift. Steve shows you how to tune as much of the drift out as possible. Setting the fence to compensate for the drift is fine but how do you adjust the miter gauge slot to compensate for it?

Anyway, if you're looking for some good woodworking videos, check out the link.

This wasn't meant to be an advertisement. Maybe a short review. I just wanted to alert others to the price deal. Nothing in it for me.

Robert Chapman
01-31-2013, 8:19 PM
Thanks Dave - I'll check it out.

Metod Alif
02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Bandsaw Drift

There was an excellent article in FWW a while ago, written by Michael Fortune, that 'explains' the drift - and how to lessen it. I do not think that one can offer a better insight. It makes me wonder about all those for whom angling of the fence is the (only?) help.
Best wishes,
Metod

Peter Kuhlman
02-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Went to a half day bandsaw class with Michael Fortune . He showed us how drift doesn't really exist. He was able to tune the saw with any blade and get straight cuts. He is an amazing guy and wish I could spend a couple weeks with him to learn tips and tricks.

Mark Burnette
02-01-2013, 2:36 PM
Isn't the "fix" for drift you guys are referring to nothing more than adjusting the blade to ride on whatever part of the tire that causes it to cut straight? Makes much more (common) sense to me than setting the blade in the center of the tire & then adjusting the rest of the machine to eliminate the error.