PDA

View Full Version : Vector cutting Rowmark "mates" material?

Don Williams Michigan
01-30-2013, 5:14 PM
Has anyone had experience with vector cutting out Rowmark Mates material?

This is the sublimation stock that can be used as labels.

I have a customer that wants a unique shape cut out of this material.

First of all, is it safe for the laser to vector cut?

Secondly, will the heat of the laser degrade the adhesive backing on this material?

Thank you in advance for you help with this.

Tucker Alford
01-30-2013, 7:23 PM
I vector cut the material and then apply paper by lining up sheets on a sunny window. The cut will yellow or burn along edges with to much power. Hold sheet down with magnets to help with curling. Also the backing paper likes to stick to the heat press, add a sacrificial piece of copy paper. I press at 350f for 5 minutes or so. If you see spots that look like delamination of the material it needs to cook longer, almost counterintuitive but the material needs more time.

Martin Boekers
01-30-2013, 7:44 PM
I cut it all the time, First I put masking over the front of the sheet, this keeps the "edge burn" from cutting down. I press at 400 degrees for 4 minutes,
face side up, teflon release pad, yellow felt pad (about .125") I found it necessary to go the extra time and it definatily needs the felt pad. I cut the white,
silver and gold. The main thing when vectoring is to use masking and hold the material flat. I just did 45 inserts for medallions today. There are many uses for
this material, I just wish it were cheaper....

Also I get a hardboard stock from Conde, that laser cuts and transfers well, you may want to check it out..

Tony Lenkic
01-30-2013, 7:53 PM
Rowmark has two lines of matte plastic. ABS is rotary engravable and modified acrylic is laser material. Both are safe to laser cut.

Don Williams Michigan
01-30-2013, 9:39 PM
Thank you for the assistance.

However, I am curious as Conde recommends putting the Mates material in the press for about 60 seconds. Both of you suggested much longer heat times so I just want to be sure that I am understanding this correctly.

I did some test pieces on clear mates before posting here at 60 seconds and they appeared correct?

I appreciate your knowledge in this area.

Martin Boekers
01-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Don, I think a few years back, I was told that to, it didn't seem consistant and was splotchy at times so I kept bumping up the timeuntil it got consistant. I find that with hardboard stock also, if it looks splotchy lengthen the dwell time. If you are doing a lot you maybe able to cut the time down a bit, as the felt has already heated up. I use about 15-20 sheets a month. This stuff has opened new marketsand comes in handy for special projects. The White is heavier that the gold or silver. I have a Roland GX24 and haven't been able to get a good cut on it.Let me know if you try your cutter and if you get it to work!