PDA

View Full Version : Flattening Old Oil Stone

George Bokros
01-30-2013, 3:37 PM
I have and old oil stone that was my father-in-laws and would like to flatten it so I can use it. How would you recommend doing so? I was thinking of doing so using some coarse say 80 grit sand paper using the table saw as the backer for the sand paper.

Should I just scrap it and buy a new one? If a new one is the best way to go is a water stone a better alternative? What grits would you recommend if new is the best alternative?

Thanks

George

Gary Herrmann
01-30-2013, 4:27 PM
George, try posting this on the Neanderthal forum - or ask a mod to move it. You'll get a lot more responses.

In terms of flattening or buying new, like everything else, the answer is - it depends:

How out of flat is it?
How important is it to you that you use this stone?
I think I'd go with a diamond stone for flattening before sandpaper. I'm thinking even 80 grit could take awhile if it's badly out of flat.
In terms of water or oil, that's a personal preference. There are also diamond and ceramic choices - just to muddy the waters.

What will you be sharpening and how often?
Will you be starting from very dull or just honing?

Lots of things to consider, potentially.

Kevin Bourque
01-30-2013, 4:59 PM
I did this recently. I used various grits of sandpaper glued down to a sheet of 1/4" plate glass. It worked amazingly well and it was fast too.

HANK METZ
01-30-2013, 5:02 PM
I used to get these next to free at flea markets, I simply ground them flat on my concrete driveway using water as a lube, keep it flooded and in no time done!

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Myk Rian
01-30-2013, 5:36 PM
My belt sander worked great.

ken masoumi
01-30-2013, 5:46 PM
I have heard "dry wall screen" ,you know the black mesh screen that you can buy from HD for removing /sanding dry wall repairs works very well for flattening sharpening stones,I just bought some recently but have not tried it yet.

Paul Saffold
01-30-2013, 7:43 PM
That drywall screen works for water stones, not oil stones.