PDA

View Full Version : Is this antique multi-plane worth restration attempt?

Kesh Ikuma
01-30-2013, 12:09 PM
I just saw this posted on my (close-to) local CL:

Antique Multi-Plane $30
neworleans.craigslist.org/tls/3581942319.html

It looks to be in a poor condition, lots of rust. The multi-plane mechanism seems a lot more complex (a lot more parts) than single-purpose hand plane. Could it be restored to withstand real woodworking usage? What should I look for to make judgement?

I've never done any restoration work before, so I'd appreciate any inputs!

Matt Radtke
01-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Isn't that a Miller's Patent plane? I'd buy it if only to put it on a shelf or resell to a collector. If it actually can be made to work, I'd probably use it. Though I'd confirm any collectable value first.

David Weaver
01-30-2013, 12:25 PM
miller patent plow (I think, I'm not collector) with some unrelated stuff. That said, I'd buy it for that money, clean the rust off of it and see what I had. You could probably sell the router plane irons for close to $30, 9 times out of 10, the old stanley router planes arrive for sale with one iron and it never hurts to have a couple.

If the miller body cleaned up nice, I'm sure you could get a few bucks for it on ebay.It's in pretty tough shape, but you're not going to lose money on that deal in the long run.

Jim Koepke
01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Kesh,

There are a lot of parts in there that are not from that plane. Some of those parts would likely clean up well and be useable or sellable for more than your original investment.

If it were local to me, my wife would be buttered up to allow me to jump on this.

On the other side, the plane is mostly an early plow plane in sad shape. It could likely be sold on ebay for parts with a buy it now that would bring more than the $30 being asked.

The fence alone might bring more than that.

If you are interested in a multi-plane, let me know. NO, none of mine are for sell, but there are many links that you may find to be of interest.

Here are two:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?116419-Planes-and-a-Few-Things-to-Look-For&p=1176704#post1176704

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?121761-Specialty-Planes-for-quot-Neanderthal-Wisdom-quot&p=1239963#post1239963

jtk

Kesh Ikuma
01-30-2013, 1:26 PM
Thanks for info!

It sure looks like Miller's Patent Plane: http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/mp/mp.htm

and miscellaneous parts... It just never occurred to me as the parts from multiple tools are in the lot. I did notice the router plane irons and was hopeful that one of features of the "multi"-plane is to route... I guess not :rolleyes:

Jim, your planes look fantastic. I don't know if I can restore it to the perfection of yours, but I think I'll see if I can get it.

Now, what is this fence for? Any idea of what it is?

Also, comparing images on the tooltip site and the listing photos, I notice that it appears to be only 1 iron for this plane is present (the far right, skinny one). Other irons obtainable today?

Jim Koepke
01-30-2013, 2:01 PM
Now, what is this fence for? Any idea of what it is?

That is a jointers fence. It is attached to a bench plane to help hold the cut to a set angle.

I notice that it appears to be only 1 iron for this plane is present (the far right, skinny one). Other irons obtainable today?

When they are listed on ebay, they are not cheap. My knowledge is limited on these planes, but it may be possible to fashion a set from other plane irons like those from a wooden plow.

My intention of buying a lot like this would be to clean up everything, save the router bits and sell the rest. With a little luck enough money could be raised to invest in another tool that would be more of a user than a collectable.

jtk

Kesh Ikuma
01-30-2013, 2:15 PM
That is a jointers fence. It is attached to a bench plane to help hold the cut to a set angle.

Ah huh. That makes sense.

My intention of buying a lot like this would be to clean up everything, save the router bits and sell the rest. With a little luck enough money could be raised to invest in another tool that would be more of a user than a collectable.

That sounds like a good strategy. I'm about to put my foot into the world of woodworking (as you can tell from my post count :D) so the last thing I need is something that will detracts me from the hobby. Your linked post indicates Miller's Patent planes do exactly that. I've been fascinated by router planes, so I can follow your strategy exactly.

Jim Koepke
01-30-2013, 3:06 PM
I'm about to put my foot into the world of woodworking (as you can tell from my post count ) so the last thing I need is something that will detracts me from the hobby. Your linked post indicates Miller's Patent planes do exactly that.

That is why often my purchases are set into my First National Bank of Tools until the time comes to raise some revenue.

Restoring old tools hasn't kept me from the hobby. On the contrary, it has enhanced my knowledge of the tools and how they work wood. Cleaning rust can be fairly passive. The money saved or raised can then be spent to buy lumber or tools.

jtk

Greg Wease
01-30-2013, 3:31 PM
I notice that it appears to be only 1 iron for this plane is present (the far right, skinny one). Other irons obtainable today?

St. James Bay sells irons for the Millers Patent planes. He lists them on eBay often.

The fence looks like a Stanley 386.

Kesh Ikuma
01-30-2013, 4:04 PM
St. James Bay sells irons for the Millers Patent planes. He lists them on eBay often.[\QUOTE]
Whoa, St. James Bay Tool Co. sells "#41, #42, #43 or #44 Cutter Set 1/8" TO 3/4" and T&G $140.00" :eek: If I get this lot, I can now safely say it'll be used as a decoration or to be sold.

[QUOTE=Greg Wease;2051807] The fence looks like a Stanley 386.
I agree the fence design looks a lot like Stanley 386 although the design of the tilt adjust screw looks a bit different.

Greg Wease
01-30-2013, 6:47 PM
Hey, the question was "are other irons obtainable", not "are the prices justifiable". I have a formerly-rusty Millers Patent plane just like yours. It also has only one iron and its likely to stay that way.