PDA

View Full Version : Used Bandsaw

Jim Foster
01-30-2013, 7:44 AM
Started looking at Bandsaws on craigslist, saw this. Does not seem like a gloat a this price.

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tls/3572554196.html

John McClanahan
01-30-2013, 7:57 AM
I like old machines, but not that well.

John

Craig Regan
01-30-2013, 8:01 AM
Thats a great saw. If all the parts are there, with a little work, you could have a real gem.
Its not always about gloat pricing, sometimes its the final product and how it performs, that counts the most.

Jim Foster
01-30-2013, 8:15 AM
I agree... to a point. In this case, it might be cheaper in the long run to get a high end saw, or one that's already restored. Looks like it's missing the cast pulley cover, and needs some serious TLC.
Thats a great saw. If all the parts are there, with a little work, you could have a real gem.
Its not always about gloat pricing, sometimes its the final product and how it performs, that counts the most.

Rod Sheridan
01-30-2013, 8:21 AM
I agree... to a point. In this case, it might be cheaper in the long run to get a high end saw, or one that's already restored. Looks like it's missing the cast pulley cover, and needs some serious TLC.

I agree, that looks like a "purchase by the pound" type to me.

That's a lot of money for a rusty, incomplete saw that's not very big or capable. A bit more money would buy much more saw..........Regards, Rod.

David Kumm
01-30-2013, 8:33 AM
It will be interesting. The 16" is pretty rare and highly sought after. They do tension pretty well and and restored is stouter than all 16" except a couple of resaw machines. I think the table trunnions are a weak spot so they need to be checked. It may be a 500 saw though. Dave

Cary Falk
01-30-2013, 8:36 AM
That would be a nice saw when cleaned up. I agree that everything should not be about a gloat price. I do believe that it should be about a fair price. It is debatable if that saw is priced right if it were fully restored.

Kevin Bourque
01-30-2013, 8:39 AM
I'd like it a lot more for $350.00:)

Craig Regan
01-30-2013, 8:50 AM
Not all old machines were created equally. There were some lousy products made past but, The Walker-Turner 16" band saw is one of the best band saws ever made (for that particular size class). With new crowned tires and greased bearings, you will have a really nice machine. I may be opinionated though, I own two Walker Turner band saws. Much better than anything new coming out of the Asian market.

Carl Beckett
01-30-2013, 8:53 AM
Jim,

There was one of these listed a while back in pristine condition at $600. I dont know how often one comes up, but this is the third I have seen and it seems a little steep at the price (but remember asking price is just asking price). At the same time I have no idea of the collectability factor.

Jim Foster
01-30-2013, 9:06 AM
I need to watch the used listings a little better. I suspect I will end up getting a new machine. I am not in the machine restoration business :) as much as I'd like to tackle a project like this, I don't have time.

Jim,

There was one of these listed a while back in pristine condition at $600. I dont know how often one comes up, but this is the third I have seen and it seems a little steep at the price (but remember asking price is just asking price). At the same time I have no idea of the collectability factor.

Jim Foster
01-30-2013, 9:08 AM
The gloat comment was meant as sarcasm. I could be wrong, but I think a fair price would be in the $250-$300 range. My time in the shop is worth something to me. The hours and money into this tool would not be a well traded opportunity cost for me. And, I'm sure if I acquired a saw like this one, in this condition, it would end up needing some machine work I could not do that would balloon the price above the cost of any new tool that is comparable to a restored version of this saw. (My karma is this area is a known quantity)

That would be a nice saw when cleaned up. I agree that everything should not be about a gloat price. I do believe that it should be about a fair price. It is debatable if that saw is priced right if it were fully restored.

glenn bradley
01-30-2013, 9:23 AM
Keep looking, oh mighty wanderer :). Or offer him a realistic "I'm not a collector and its not a museum piece" price.

David Kumm
01-30-2013, 10:30 AM
While I'm on record that the price is a little high, keep in mind that the closest new comparable is likely the new PM 15 at 3K. Even with a new motor, upgraded spring, and bearings and tires you are in for about half. Dave

Rich Riddle
01-30-2013, 10:50 AM
If you think that one is expensive, look at this 14" model:

Jeff Duncan
01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
I would have to agree that the price is on the high side. However I also agree that it's hard to find new replacement machines of the same quality that are affordable. Used stuff is certainly not for everyone, but does offer some real opportunity to buy much better quality equipment for a fraction of what a new equivalent would run.

As an example, I bought a basket case shaper not too long ago for $800. It looked bad, had surface rust and paint spills on the top, not to mention marks from having been used as an anvil. It needed bearings and I wasn't even sure if the lubrication system needed to be rebuilt, plus the cutterhead that was on it was frozen solid to the spindle! So I brought it back to the shop and invested close to 4x what I paid for the machine to get her up and running. I now have one of the best industrial shapers ever made, and though I spent a chunk of cash and several days of my time in labor, I could not buy an equivalent machine for under $10k.

Like I said, used is not for everyone, and that asking price is on the high side. Just don't be fooled into thinking a new Asian machine is automatically a better "value";)

good luck,
JeffD

phil harold
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Walker turner 16",
Sweet!
the price could be better
I love the base!

might be a little high but even still you drop another 700 or a grand into it, be worth the money!

Jim Foster
01-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Value is in the eyes of the beholder for sure. :)

Walker turner 16",
Sweet!
the price could be better
I love the base!

might be a little high but even still you drop another 700 or a grand into it, be worth the money!

Mike Cutler
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Jim

To me, it all depends on if it runs. If that saw currently runs, and there is nothing broken on it, it would be up and running in a day or two.
I see a weekend of disassembly, cleaning, rust removal, greasing and realignment. But, I also know that not everyone has time for doing that stuff.
For the right person, it's a nice saw.

Mike Hollingsworth
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
go check it out and get friendly with seller.
saw will eventually sell for market price.

Gus Dundon
01-30-2013, 12:36 PM
I like vintage band saw and that band saw is decent but the price is pretty too high . If you will keep on looking for used band saw , try reading this blog (http://bandsawblog.com/what-to-look-for-in-a-used-band-saw/)
. But I think it would be best to keep looking.

Jim Andrew
01-30-2013, 12:46 PM
I've been looking at Craigs list fairly steady, and find that the good buys are gone very quick, and the high priced stuff gets relisted over and over. Try talking to the guy, he probably just started high, as you can't raise your price as easily as dropping it.

Jim Foster
01-30-2013, 1:26 PM
I dropped the fellow a message to see if he has any room to move, but I suspect he'll pass on responding. I don't need another project right now, and that affects the amount I'd pay. I suspect someone out there may want this project more than I do and be willing to pay more.

Jack Gaskins
01-30-2013, 7:03 PM
Not worth the asking price. Maybe $150 to $300 but that is pushing it. $750 plus restoration could equal anywhere from a $1000 bs to a $1500 bs. Best to go get a Grizzly for $1400. When looking at vintage tools you have to decide what your real hobby is. Is it woodworking or tool restoration. IMO it is a PITA to do both.

Jack

Mike Heidrick
01-30-2013, 7:43 PM
I'd like it a lot more for $350.00:)

You would not get the 14" model for that. This saw has some serious heft to it.

David Kumm
01-30-2013, 8:01 PM
Jack, you are the guy I want to buy my used stuff from and sell my new stuff to. A $1400 Grizzly isn't even close to a decent WT. you are right that machine work can be a PITA though. Dave

Jim Foster
01-30-2013, 8:26 PM
+1 on that.

Where were you stationed. A long time ago I worked at Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY. SAC Base. Lot of fine military people there.

Not worth the asking price. Maybe $150 to $300 but that is pushing it. $750 plus restoration could equal anywhere from a $1000 bs to a $1500 bs. Best to go get a Grizzly for $1400. When looking at vintage tools you have to decide what your real hobby is. Is it woodworking or tool restoration. IMO it is a PITA to do both.

Jack

Arthur Damaskos
01-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Jim,

Same saw was listed for $900 a few weeks ago. Good luck getting an answer. I responded to the ad last Sat and still haven't received a reply.

Jack Gaskins
02-01-2013, 4:51 PM
Jack, you are the guy I want to buy my used stuff from and sell my new stuff to. A $1400 Grizzly isn't even close to a decent WT. you are right that machine work can be a PITA though. Dave

Hi David. Well I must say that yes I do sell tools for cheap. Why? To get them out of my garage as fast as possible. I dont like to haggle over prices. I know a good old WT will cut just as good as the rest but having to get it to that point, IMO is a pain and life is just to short and shop space is a premium.

Jack

Jack Gaskins
02-01-2013, 4:53 PM
+1 on that.

Where were you stationed. A long time ago I worked at Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY. SAC Base. Lot of fine military people there.

Hi Jim, I retired at the end of 2006 out of Hurlburt Field AFB in Fort Walton Beach Florida. My first base was Blytheville AFB from 1986 to 1991 then went over seas for a while.

Myk Rian
02-01-2013, 5:24 PM
Best to go get a Grizzly for $1400.
What. Is Grizzly the only brand made anymore?

Matthew Hills
02-02-2013, 2:09 AM
IMO it is a PITA to do both.
This is very true, especially when the order doesn't come out right.

There are some things I like about old tools... but I dislike exposed belts, blades, and lack of dust collectors on many vintage tools. (and jerry-rigged guards offset the charm of old-iron patina)

Matt

Jack Gaskins
02-02-2013, 10:49 AM
What. Is Grizzly the only brand made anymore?

Nope but it is the best value for money,,,OR the Rikon. Just my opinion though :).

Jack Gaskins
02-05-2013, 7:36 PM
Started looking at Bandsaws on craigslist, saw this. Does not seem like a gloat a this price.

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tls/3572554196.html

Check this one out for comparison. http://dayton.craigslist.org/tls/3555600689.html

Zach Callum
02-05-2013, 8:09 PM
Thats what I paid for the 14" version, and it needed some work. Great saw once tuned up.