PDA

View Full Version : Convert a Sierra Laser Blank to an Executive

James Combs
01-29-2013, 11:42 PM
I had a Laser cut cross inlay blank for a Sierra/Wall St. II and was going to use it for a present for our Pastor. However, when I went to make it I did not have any Sierra component sets. His Birthday was coming up in two days, what to do? I had a nice looking chrome Executive but the hole size in the blank was way too big. Here is what I did to convert it.

Using a pipe cuter that I purposely dulled the blade on I creased a Sierra tube so that it was a press fit over the Executive tube and CA them together. The creases keep the two tubes concentric.

I then added short pieces of BOW to each end of the tube assembly with Executive size tube holes. What you see here is me trying to decide which way I preferred the striations in the BOW to run, I settled on circular.
252795 252796

This was the result. A notable, the wood around the sierra portion of the barrel is only about 0.010" thick by measurement but it is reinforced with two coats of thin CA and 10 Coats of medium with NO sanding between coats.
252797 252798

C&C Appreciated.

Dick Mahany
01-30-2013, 9:42 AM
Great idea and useful tip for the conversion! I recently turned a few pens for the first time and decided to turn several blanks ahead of time using spare tubes as I wanted to have a variety to chose from before committing to the final hardware. Your modification could open up some fun possibilities. Oh, and great job on the pen too :).

Steve Busey
01-30-2013, 9:43 AM
Good save, James!!

Is that a homebrew laser blank? Doesn't look like some commercially avbl ones I've seen.

James Combs
01-30-2013, 9:14 PM
Great idea and useful tip for the conversion! I recently turned a few pens for the first time and decided to turn several blanks ahead of time using spare tubes as I wanted to have a variety to chose from before committing to the final hardware. Your modification could open up some fun possibilities. Oh, and great job on the pen too :).
Thanks Dick, like they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention", however my failure to note that I was out of Sierras created the necessity which shouldn't have happened. I really would have preferred giving him an Elegant Sierra.

Good save, James!!
Is that a homebrew laser blank? Doesn't look like some commercially avbl ones I've seen.
Thanks Steve, nope not home grown(or brewed). I have had it for near to two years, I believe If my memory serves me right and lots of times it doesn't:o, I picked up up out of a clearance box at a local Woodcraft Store.