PDA

View Full Version : Retirement

Bobby McCarley
01-29-2013, 9:37 PM
Well, today was my last day at work and as of Feb. 1st I will be offically retired after 38.7 years. My last day left a lot to be desired as it seemed everyone wanted everything done today, but it also reminded me of the the reason I was retiring. The hardest part though was saying good bye to my fellow co-workers and friends. There are a lot of unknowns in the road ahead but life is too short and precious to put off enjoying life. I plan on doing a lot more of my woodworking and making pens and just enjoying not having to do shift work any more.

The one good thing after a rough last day at work is when I got home I had my stub from my first retirement check in the mail.

Retired
Bobby
Louisiana

Mike Cutler
01-29-2013, 9:40 PM
Bobby

Congrat's, and enjoy life. You've earned it.:)

Jim Tobias
01-29-2013, 9:41 PM
Congratulations!! You're gonna love it! Been retired for 2+ years now and have no regrets at all.

Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2013, 9:55 PM
Congrats Bobby! Enjoy the time for yourself!

In 2 days, I will have been retired 2 years. I miss the people I worked with daily but I don't miss the job!

Ted Calver
01-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Well done Bobby. I hope you find retirement just as hectic as I have.:)

Lee Schierer
01-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the club. I've been retired for not quite 2 years. I was asked to do some consulting work about 6 months after I retired, which I accepted. The consulting money was good, but it convinced me I had made the right decision retiring. Having to show up someplace every day and stay for 8-9 hours is not for me.

Gary Hodgin
01-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Congratulations! I retired last spring and am just beginning to really enjoy it after a few health problems are starting to improve. My wife retired about 3 years ago and she keeps me busy. Enjoy yourself.

Keith Outten
01-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Bobby,

Welcome, although I am new at it and don't have a clue what to expect yet since I retired on January 9th, 2013.

Larry Whitlow
01-30-2013, 12:00 AM
I retired 1/1/2012 after 36 years on the job. What I can honestly say about retirement isthat it is a lot better than I thought it would be.
Congratulations. Don’t be surprised at howbusy retirement can be.

Brian Libby
01-30-2013, 7:48 AM
Congratulations! I retired last September and the first couple of weeks seemed like vacation and as has been stated by others, you will be busier than ever! Enjoy:)

Rod Sheridan
01-30-2013, 8:48 AM
Good for you Bobby, I'm jealous.

I have 5 years left to go..........Rod.

Paul McGaha
01-30-2013, 9:34 AM
Congratulations Bobby,

Good luck on your retirement. Wish it was me. I'd retire today if I could and spend all my work time in the shop. I have about 10 years left to work.

PHM

PS-Who dat?

Jerry Thompson
01-30-2013, 9:38 AM
It's a great feeling. The only thing I miss in my retirement is my days off.:)

Thomas Canfield
01-30-2013, 9:40 PM
Congratulations. I consulted the last 10 years working and then the work just stopped - no retirement date about 5 years ago. I tell people that I am retired (old enough for sure) since it sounds better than unemployed, but then I am not looking for work. Having a workshop has been a good way to get out of the house and stay busy, but then there are also some volunteer activities. Enjoy and stay busy.

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Congrats Bobby! Enjoy life! Looking forward to seeing some of those pens!!

Michael Weber
01-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Congratulations. Best wishes for a long and productive retirement. It's not too far off for me.
Mike

Bruce Page
01-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Congratulations!! You're gonna love it! Been retired for 2+ years now and have no regrets at all.

Jim

Ditto what Jim said. I retired two years ago and love it. Pretty soon you'll wonder how you ever had enough time for work!

Myk Rian
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
I retired almost 9 years ago on April Fools day, 2004, at 55 yo. I loved the job and people, but not the 1 hour drive there, and 1.5 hours home.
I started taking walks around my neighborhood to relearn it, joined a softball team, and am very active in our senior center.
It's a new life, and I love it.
Enjoy.