PDA

View Full Version : Experience with a engraver

Chris Edens
01-29-2013, 8:12 PM
Does anyone have experience with a Gravograph m20 engraver or similar machine? If anyone has other suggestions let me know. I am looking to personalize jewelry.

http://www.gravograph.us/engraving-machines/M20.php

Mohammed Issa
01-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Does anyone have experience with a Gravograph m20 engraver or similar machine? If anyone has other suggestions let me know. I am looking to personalize jewelry.

http://www.gravograph.us/engraving-machines/M20.php

hey Chris,
i havent used it myself, but if you do decide to buy it, i would check out chewbarka.net. they have a refurbished one on sale

https://www.chewbarka.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

how that helps!

Rodne Gold
01-30-2013, 1:27 AM
I have generally found the Gravograph machines do do the job well , however their prices are VERY STEEP. Have a look at the roland range of engravers , we use a small one like this one for the same stuff.
http://www.rolanddga.com/products/engravers/egx350/

Mike Null
01-30-2013, 6:10 AM
Many report problems with their customer support but machine are well built.

Dan Hintz
01-30-2013, 6:36 AM
Many report problems with their customer support...

If memory serves, don't they also charge an arm and a leg for updates (like when people wanted to upgrade their ancient Win95 machines to XP), almost to the point of it being worth it to purchase a new machine?

Paul Phillips
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Chris, you can do a search here for Gravograph, New Hermes and should find some good info, I've had an IS8000 for about 10yrs, it's an excellent piece of equipment for what it does, they're work horses, however my experience with the software and customer service is what I found sorely lacking, I see that particular model comes with the entry level software but I'm sure you can upgrade for extra $. The software though is very expensive compared to other similar ones and although it may have improved since I last used it, it always felt like it was poorly converted from the french made version rather than built from the ground up for English speaking people. Also, I had a bad experience with the local rep but that just happened to be one bad apple and I'm sure there are good ones out there. I would look at the Rolands that Rodney recommended. My 2 cents.
Paul

Mark Ross
01-31-2013, 9:56 AM
The machines are great, but customer support and the robbery that passes for upgrades is ridiculous. We did not have our machine on maintenance. When we wanted to get a software upgrade, we were told that not only did we have to get on maintenance, but we had to pay ALL the back maintenance fees while we were not on maintenance. It was double what the machine costs new. Needless to say, since we only needed the software upgrade because our WIN95 machine died, we went to a ham radio swap and build a new WIN95 machine for under a hundred bucks. I would say avoid these guys at all costs.

Mark Sipes
01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
The 20 series looks to be very limiting as to what it can handle. small charms, bracelets and rings. What about baby cups, coins and picture frames.......just look past your current needs to the future of where you want to go.....for the money and support.....just saying!

Mike Null
01-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Mark is right. If your budget doesn't permit a new machine which can handle most of the work you're likely to get then look at a used machine. Newing Hall, Visions and Xenetech all make excellent mechanical machines.

Generally, tech support does not transfer with used mech. machines so be aware of that. Also be sure that the software comes with it and that you can use it without paying a fee.

Frank barry
01-31-2013, 1:32 PM
Hi
We do some rotary engraving and I have looked at most engraving machines and I have found the newer machines are not that well built as the older machines so I would suggest you look at an older machine it won’t look as pretty but I bet it is much better built and a fraction of the cost
You need to decide what you want to engrave and what budget you have and give some taught to how much engraving you will have to do to pay for a new machine as they are a lot of $$
Frank