PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR gas

Stephen Tashiro
01-29-2013, 4:14 PM
How is gas standardized at NASCAR races? Do all the cars use the same gas? Do different teams put different additives in it?

(I don't follow car racing or other sports. I bought a Wickes brand fuel filter today and happened to notice the package advertised something about the "the number one NASCAR filter".)

Paul McGaha
01-29-2013, 4:26 PM
Hi Stephen,

Yes, all the cars use the same gas. The gas is provided for the teams by NASCAR.

I don't think the teams are allowed to put any additives in the gas. I've never seen a team use an additive.

The teams are all supposed to be running the same fuel.

PHM

Bruce Page
01-29-2013, 4:32 PM
Sunoco provides all NASCAR teams with Sunoco Green E15. Teams are not allowed to doctor it and face stiff penalties if they try.

Jeff Welch
01-29-2013, 7:49 PM
Yep, there is a big tanker of Sunoco fuel at the track and the gasman takes the gas cans over to be filled. He weighs them before and after he fuels the car to tell how much fuel went into the car.

Fred Perreault
01-30-2013, 7:18 AM
I believe that they now weigh the gas because of an idea that Roger Penske attempted in SCCA, Trans Am Sedan racing in the late 60's. He was in charge of the Camaro team, with Mark Donahue driving the 1st car. I think that it was first done at (formerly) Bryar Motorsports Park in Loudon N.H. GM was supporting the effort through the back door, as Ford, Chrysler and AMC did for their teams. The A-Sedan class had a maximum allowed volume of fuel per race to keep the cheating and speed down. An early form of "restrictor plate" I guess. What Penske did was freeze his stored fuel with dry ice to create a more dense product, and it expanded as it warmed in the bladder filled fuel tank during the race, essntially providing more volume. Whether it provided an advantage or not was debateable at the time, but the rules were changed to stop freezing fuel. Just an interesting anecdote, but may have nothing to do with weight control vs. volume control.

Curt Harms
01-30-2013, 8:43 AM
Fred, there's something to that. Ever wonder why large/turbine aircraft fuel gauges read in pounds, not gallons? That's why. A lb. of fuel has the same energy at +90* F or -40* F. The same is not true of a gallon.

Fred Perreault
01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
....verrry interesting. Actually I had read a couple of research papers where they dyno tested assorted engines feeding the units petrol of differing temperatures. They captured developed horsepower at several different RPM ranges, and there was little to no significant difference in h.p. ratings for any of the temperature variables. But, how much does 55 gallons of Sunoco 260 (remember that..?) weigh at 85 degrees F., versus at -10 degrees F..? Don't forget, fuel up early in the morning.

thanks, Fred

Lee Schierer
01-30-2013, 6:08 PM
....verrry interesting. But, how much does 55 gallons of Sunoco 260 (remember that..?) weigh at 85 degrees F., versus at -10 degrees F..? Don't forget, fuel up early in the morning.

thanks, Fred

Since most gas station fuel tanks are underground, I doubt that the time of day has little if any effect on the amount of fuel you receive at the pump.

Curt Harms
01-31-2013, 9:24 AM
....verrry interesting. Actually I had read a couple of research papers where they dyno tested assorted engines feeding the units petrol of differing temperatures. They captured developed horsepower at several different RPM ranges, and there was little to no significant difference in h.p. ratings for any of the temperature variables. But, how much does 55 gallons of Sunoco 260 (remember that..?) weigh at 85 degrees F., versus at -10 degrees F..? Don't forget, fuel up early in the morning.

thanks, Fred

It might depend on what you're measuring. Energy/unit, or energy/tankful. I doubt a total energy of a lb. of fuel at 90* would be different than a lb. of fuel at -40*. A lb. of fuel at -40* may occupy less volume though so the same tank size would hold more lbs. of cooler fuel. How much difference is there? I have no clue but I'm sure the info is available somewhere.

Myk Rian
01-31-2013, 9:47 AM
I believe that they now weigh the gas because of an idea that Roger Penske attempted in SCCA,
They weigh the gas can so they know how much fuel was put in the car.
Sunoco supplies the fuel, and the teams are not allowed to add anything to it. Nor can they put substances in the intake manifold, as Michael Waltrip's team found out a couple years ago.

Bruce Page
01-31-2013, 11:46 AM
They weigh the gas can so they know how much fuel was put in the car.
Sunoco supplies the fuel, and the teams are not allowed to add anything to it. Nor can they put substances in the intake manifold, as Michael Waltrip's team found out a couple years ago.

Poor Mikey, he'll never live that down.. :)

Rick Potter
01-31-2013, 12:32 PM
They use Sunoco fuel in all races even when they don't sell it in many states? I don't think I have ever seen a Sunoco station.

Rick Potter

Myk Rian
01-31-2013, 2:19 PM
They use Sunoco fuel in all races even when they don't sell it in many states? I don't think I have ever seen a Sunoco station.

Rick Potter
We have one a couple miles up the road. The most expensive gas in the area. I never go there.

Fred Perreault
01-31-2013, 3:57 PM
When we had early and mid 60's big block 396/ 427 GMs, and a 302c.i. 69 Z28, we always bought 103 octane Sunoco 260. It probably didn't make a hoot of a difference, but it was great for the wow factor. Detroit lied like a rug about true brake h.p. so as to try to keep the Feds at bay.... but of course that didn't work. Now we have 2 liter 4 cylinders that handle, start and stop well enough to put the old iron to shame. But gosh, wasn't it fun and noisy then.... :( :(

Rick Potter
01-31-2013, 4:42 PM
OK, I looked it up.

Sunoco website says they market in 23 states, all in the east or midwest. So, do they really ship gas from there to racetracks in the west where they don't even sell it?

Rick Potter

Jerome Stanek
01-31-2013, 5:23 PM
OK, I looked it up.

Sunoco website says they market in 23 states, all in the east or midwest. So, do they really ship gas from there to racetracks in the west where they don't even sell it?

Rick Potter

I would say yes they do the cars travel to the west but Nascar is located in Florida. Also the advertizing is worth it.

Brian Elfert
01-31-2013, 8:41 PM
Most gas stations just buy their gas from a nearby refinery regardless of who runs the refinery. The major difference between brands of gas is the additive package added to the tanker at the tanker terminal.

My best guess would be that Sunoco ships their additive to each track and mixes it into gasoline purchased from a local refinery. Sunoco doesn't even own any refineries other than a small remaining interest in a Philadelphia refinery.

Myk Rian
01-31-2013, 9:18 PM
It doesn't matter one iota that Sunoco doesn't sell in all the states. It's a non-issue.
Some people want to make a big deal out of nothing.

Curt Harms
02-01-2013, 7:44 AM
We have one a couple miles up the road. The most expensive gas in the area. I never go there.

Around here Sunoco is usually the cheapest of the 'name' brands. I think Sunoco is headquartered in Philly, I'm don't know if that matters or not. BP & Lukoil tend to be the most $ in this part of the world.

Jeff Monson
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I think they should make them pull up to the pump on the way out of the pits. That would make for some interesting pit strategy.

Joe Angrisani
02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
I think they should make them pull up to the pump on the way out of the pits. That would make for some interesting pit strategy.

And break out the credit card to pay for it! :p

I think they should make them turn right AND left on EACH lap. And use the whole gearbox (except maybe 1st) on EACH lap. Sure would make NASCAR more exciting than painting numbers on a ceiling fan and watching it go 'round.

Jerome Stanek
02-01-2013, 2:32 PM

I think they should make them turn right AND left on EACH lap. And use the whole gearbox (except maybe 1st) on EACH lap. Sure would make NASCAR more exciting than painting numbers on a ceiling fan and watching it go 'round.

I always thought that they had a white dot painted on their left shoe to remind them they have to turn left. We did that as a joke to our sprint car driver at where I used to work.

Jeff Monson
02-01-2013, 3:26 PM

Yep, pay at the pump, credit card with a $100.00 limit, plus the driver has to fuel his own car, no "full service". Make them boys earn some of the big money they get paid for driving in circles.