PDA

View Full Version : A Reason to Celebrate

Kathy Marshall
01-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Will be here any day. It's been 40 days (the longest 40 days of my life) since I've seen wood spinning on my lathe :eek:. Last week, the tech at Teknatool finally agreed that my main board needed to be replaced. They shipped the board on Thursday (along with a new display board), and I expect to see them any day now :D. I'm pretty sure I'll have something to post by the weekend!

By some strange turn of fate, I've managed to survive the withdrawls and the resultant oblivian that followed. That alone is reason to celebrate, and once my lathe is quietly humming along once again, I'll be sharing the celebration.

This coming weekend (weather permitting), I'll be going through my wood stash and I'm sure I'll be able to find something big enough to cut a large flat rate sized box blank from. I'll seal the blank, take some pics and then I'll be posting a "celebrate with a box of wood giveaway contest". Some lucky winner will be celebrating with me :D.
I'll post rules and details along with a pic of the prize, once the blank is cut, sealed and ready to go.

Brent VanFossen
01-29-2013, 1:43 AM
Wow, that's a long time. I know you'll be relieved and happy to have it working again.

Reed Gray
01-29-2013, 2:24 AM
Well, did you get your shop cleaned up and organized? I do have some of that to do.......

robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2013, 7:39 AM
Kathy - I sure hope that takes care of the problem for you! Looking forward to seeing the first thing you turn when you finally get back on the lathe!

Fred Belknap
01-29-2013, 7:49 AM
Forty days is a heck of a long time to make a corporate decision about your lathe. I doubt they realize how many advertising dollars that wipes out. I think I would be camping in their front yard.:(

Thom Sturgill
01-29-2013, 8:31 AM
I hope everything works out. I don't know how I'd handle that long a dry spell, but then I have a back-up.

Aric Krueger
01-29-2013, 8:38 AM
Hmmm ... "40 days and 40 nights" ...if I'm not mistaken, that appears a few times in the bible. I can't say for sure, but I think you have been tested, been found worthy and things are about to get really good for you! :D

Roger Chandler
01-29-2013, 8:46 AM
I hope you are able to get up and running quickly.......here's to the return of Kathy to the ranks of those who spin wood! ;)

Tim Rinehart
01-29-2013, 8:48 AM
I know you'll be happy to have your lathe back.

Peter Blair
01-29-2013, 9:07 AM
Hey kathy. I don't know how you are doing it. I would have gone absolutely mad!

Don't quite understand why it took so long but as long?

I had wondered a little about the slow down of you posted pieces though.

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Hope you get it up and running smoothly. You have more patiences than I. I went and bought a Jet 1220 just so I would have something to spin on.:D

Ted Calver
01-29-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't know, 40 days to restock the wood stash...should be about 40' high by now. Be careful and take it slow. Maybe turn a tooth pick first and work your way up:):):)

Richard Madden
01-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Kathy, hope the problem will be solved soon and you'll be turning again. I gotta say, you have more patience than I. It will be interesting to hear your opinion of both the lathe and customer service when this is resolved. I have a Nova (1624-44), and (knock on wood) I haven't had any serious problems I couldn't fix myself. This just seems like an awful long time to get things fixed. Hopefully, Teknatool has some people reading forums like this, and realize things have got to improve. Could have an effect on decision making when someone is considering purchasing a new lathe. Anyway, keep us posted, and good luck!!

Justin Stephen
01-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately, I know how she feels. My 46-460 has effectively been a brick for more than a month now with no real hope of it getting fixed anytime soon since there are no replacement parts available. I have dropped it off at the local DeWalt service center where it will probably gather dust in a closet for several more months.

I went ahead and bought a lathe upgrade much sooner than I had expected to (or had budgeted for) so I could start turning again. Still waiting for 220 line.

Bill Bolen
01-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Delighted to hear a fix is finally on the way! Nova customer support is the one thing that worries me about having bought the DVR myself. It has been a fine lathe for me but Nova sure needs to go to the Jet school for customer support.

Scott Hackler
01-29-2013, 11:23 AM
That stinks! As much as you are on the lathe, this 40 days has to be terrilble! I guess you could have justified a mini lathe to "get you by"!! :)

allen thunem
01-29-2013, 11:29 AM
wonder if kathy marsahll got her tech. problems fixed on here lathe yet???

allen thunem
01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
oppps maybe i should have read the whole post thought it ws scott who had to wait 40 days

Steve Mawson
01-29-2013, 7:58 PM
Good luck, can't come too soon.

Curt Fuller
01-29-2013, 9:12 PM
Say Hallelujah! Do you realize it's also been about 40 days since we've gotten to see any of your new work?

Kathy Marshall
01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the votes of confidence!
You all might be happy to know that I got a call from the tree trimmers this afternoon! She says she's got a couple of big chunks and I'll be picking them up tomorrow. I just hope her idea of a big chunk matches up to mine because that wood (I will reveal the type later) is some really nice stuff and if it's big enough it just might be the prize :D.

Well, did you get your shop cleaned up and organized? I do have some of that to do.......

robo hippy
Ummm.....wellll...... you'd think I would have used the time productively, but I did manage to clean up the shavings (about 8 loads worth) :eek:.

Kathy - I sure hope that takes care of the problem for you! Looking forward to seeing the first thing you turn when you finally get back on the lathe!
Thanks Steve, I think the 1st piece will just be a practice piece to see if I still remember how to turn :eek:.

Hmmm ... "40 days and 40 nights" ...if I'm not mistaken, that appears a few times in the bible. I can't say for sure, but I think you have been tested, been found worthy and things are about to get really good for you! :D
I sure hope you're right Aric!

Kathy, hope the problem will be solved soon and you'll be turning again. I gotta say, you have more patience than I. It will be interesting to hear your opinion of both the lathe and customer service when this is resolved. I have a Nova (1624-44), and (knock on wood) I haven't had any serious problems I couldn't fix myself. This just seems like an awful long time to get things fixed. Hopefully, Teknatool has some people reading forums like this, and realize things have got to improve. Could have an effect on decision making when someone is considering purchasing a new lathe. Anyway, keep us posted, and good luck!!

Delighted to hear a fix is finally on the way! Nova customer support is the one thing that worries me about having bought the DVR myself. It has been a fine lathe for me but Nova sure needs to go to the Jet school for customer support.
I love the lathe, but it couldn't have picked a worse time to go down, just before the holiday with shorter work weeks. The tech was pleasant to work with, but I don't think they felt the same urgency to get my lathe going as I did.

Say Hallelujah! Do you realize it's also been about 40 days since we've gotten to see any of your new work?
It's actually been longer since the last piece I was working on is only half done :eek:.

Rick Markham
01-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Kathy, Congrats! I too feel your pain... my lathe has been without power for somewhere around that time too... 'lectrician came today... lights are on! :D Now if I can just work all the other bugs out lol

Sid Matheny
01-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Wow you are tough! And you are still able to type. Don't think I would even be able to talk so that anyone could understand me.

Sid

robert baccus
01-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Take a valium or two and a couple of deep breaths and stick a gouge in it. You deserve it.