PDA

View Full Version : I saw the movie Lincoln today.

Paul McGaha
01-28-2013, 9:04 PM
My next door neighbor and I went to see the movie Lincoln today. I really liked it. Highly recommend it. Takes you back in time.

I think I might try to see it again in the cinema, pretty rare for me.

PHM

Phil Thien
01-28-2013, 9:41 PM
I haven't seen it, but everyone seems to be talking about it. I look forward to watching it when it becomes available via streaming.

Kevin Bourque
01-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Check out Django Unchained.

Jim Rimmer
01-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Now you need to read the book. The book starts before Lincoln's election and goes to the assassination. The movie is, obviously, a very small part of the book. Otherwise it would be two days long. The name of the book is "A Team of Rivals" and is very good reading. Titled so because after the election, Lincoln named his opponents to his cabinet. Can't do a book review here but highly recommend it.

Rich Riddle
01-29-2013, 1:14 PM
My wife read the book, and reads hundreds a year. We went to the movie. She said, "It's hard to make Lincoln boring, but they succeeded." The movie seemed to drag. I would have been fantastic with more content in the same time or about 45 minutes shorter. They portray Mrs. Lincoln different than any other movie I have seen. My wife said the way the characters spoke to one another was more informal than how it happened in reality during that period. I was tempted to ask how she spoke during that time frame, but common sense or fear saved the comment from happening.

Larry Browning
01-29-2013, 1:35 PM
I really like the movie as well. It is not your typical modern movie, with lots of special effects and action. Rather there was lots of dialog and character development. Some might find that boring, but I found it to be refreshing. I do agree that the dialog was less formal than was actually spoken in that time period.
BTW: If you have not seen the True Grit remake, the dialog in that is much more realistic to the time period. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there was one contraction used in the whole movie. Everything was cannot or they are instead of can't or they're. It is really noticeable. This has gone my short list of my all time favorite movies.

Mike Henderson
01-29-2013, 1:57 PM
I saw it and like it, also. Let me contrast it to Argo on one aspect. In both movies, we know the outcome. But I found Argo very slow - I was impatient for it to move along. And many of the plot devices were unbelievable - in fact, I checked on the real story and they said the passage through the airport was uneventful.

When I was watching Lincoln, I believed that I was watching what actually happened, and it held my interest throughout - even though I knew the outcome. When the final vote came on the 13th amendment I felt and believed the celebration. When the Americans got out of Terran (in the movie) I did not feel the same sense of relief and accomplishment that I felt in Lincoln.

So, yes, I really liked Lincoln.

Mike

Larry Browning
01-29-2013, 2:12 PM
I saw it and like it, also. Let me contrast it to Argo on one aspect. In both movies, we know the outcome. But I found Argo very slow - I was impatient for it to move along. And many of the plot devices were unbelievable - in fact, I checked on the real story and they said the passage through the airport was uneventful.

When I was watching Lincoln, I believed that I was watching what actually happened, and it held my interest throughout - even though I knew the outcome. When the final vote came on the 13th amendment I felt and believed the celebration. When the Americans got out of Terran (in the movie) I did not feel the same sense of relief and accomplishment that I felt in Lincoln.

So, yes, I really liked Lincoln.

Mike

I really agree with you on Argo, I thought is was entertaining, but about half way in I realized it was not going to be a realistic account of a true event. I mean, really? police cars chasing down an airliner on the runway? I was about half expecting a fire fight as the plane takes off ahead of bullets and bombs. But it was fun to watch anyway:) I heard an interview with Ben Afflack. He was saying he knew it wasn't true to the actual events, but he liked his ending better anyway.

Mel Fulks
01-29-2013, 2:15 PM
I don't consider it great ,but I liked it . Never been a big fan of Spielburg just because he often uses a big hammer where a smaller mallet would work better. The thing that surprised me is that the cabinet being composed of ambitious rivals was the focus of the book .Where is that in the film? Truth in opining statement: Did not read the book,have read the reviews and heard Ms Goodwin discuss it .

Prashun Patel
01-29-2013, 2:29 PM
Nicely put. Enjoyed reading this.

I saw in interview with Ben Affleck - who always goes up a notch when I hear him speak in person vs when I see him act - and he openly admits that he took a good deal of dramatic license in Argo.

Paul McGaha
01-29-2013, 3:03 PM
Now you need to read the book. The book starts before Lincoln's election and goes to the assassination. The movie is, obviously, a very small part of the book. Otherwise it would be two days long. The name of the book is "A Team of Rivals" and is very good reading. Titled so because after the election, Lincoln named his opponents to his cabinet. Can't do a book review here but highly recommend it.

Thanks for the tip Jim, I just ordered the book from amazon.com

PHM