PDA

View Full Version : Iffy combination- Ambrosia Maple/curly redwood

Roger Chandler
01-28-2013, 8:21 PM
First off, let me apologize for the less than stellar pics! My photo setup is put away at the present, so I just put this on top of the wood stove and took some pics! :o

I am also trying to utilize some of the many small pieces of wood that I seem to be a magnet for, as they just keep on finding me.......not a problem however! The redwood lid is from a small piece that Scott Trumbo sent along in the flat rate box when I got my Ultimate Gouge and handle from Serious Toolworks.

I did not have a suitable piece of ambrosia maple or even walnut [which I would have preferred] to make the lid, but that piece of redwood was the right size to do what I needed, so I went for it! I did not know I was going to uncover such figure on this piece of Northwestern redwood...............I might have held on to it for something else, but once started it is too late!

The lidded dish with pedestal is 5 inches in diameter and 4.75" tall at the knob...........will be great for M&M's or such!

I think it is okay, but not an ideal combination of woods.........but the redwood did provide some contrast.

Comments always welcome!

Justin Stephen
01-28-2013, 8:24 PM
I have to admit. I don't really care for the color combination. I think for those two pieces to mesh well, there needs to be more color contrast. The redwood lid is beautiful though and I'm sure you can create something that it would compliment very well, a dyed/painted bowl perhaps.

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2013, 9:03 PM
I like the form but not a fan of the wood combo.

Roger Chandler
01-29-2013, 8:24 AM
I like the form but not a fan of the wood combo.

Thanks Bernie.......I think the fact I did not have my photo setup available and the dark background, it certainly is not photographed in the best light .......my opinion is the same as yours, but it does look better in person......the redwood picks up on the ambrosia markings some.......still this lid would do better on a different piece for the bottom.

Chip Sutherland
01-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Singularly, the woods are nice. The form is nice, too. But in combo, it is too confusing. Simple to fix...turn another form-matching vessel and ebonize (dye black) the whole thing then swap lids. You will have 2 nice vessels with contrasting components. Form-matching is probably the hard part. I use large coping templates tools to get close to the wante shape then sneak up on the final shape.

Harry Robinette
01-29-2013, 7:33 PM
+1 for what Bernie said.