PDA

View Full Version : Hollowform Question

Richard Jones
01-28-2013, 3:17 PM
For you guys that do taller HF's, i.e., >10", and you use an endgrain orientation, are you drilling out the pith in the base if you have to leave the pith in? Hard to get the diameter I need without utilizing the pith.....................

Thanks.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2013, 3:27 PM
Richard, I leave the pith in and hit it with a little CA if needed to keep it from checking.

Richard Jones
01-28-2013, 3:30 PM
Steve,

OK, then next question. Are you turning it green to finish, or roughing it like a bowl, allowing it to dry, re-turning it? Bagging it if you can't finish it in one sitting, er, standing?

Thanks.

Harry Robinette
01-28-2013, 3:33 PM
Richard
I've only done maybe 10 or 15 and I leave the pith in and seal it with thin CA as soon as I put the foot on I seal the whole bottom with CA. Then as soon as I hollow it I seal the inside just drench the whole bottom.Then when i take the foot off I drench it again. I haven't had any crack except 1 that was apple the rest have warped some but haven't cracked. Just what I've been lucky with.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2013, 4:29 PM
Richard, I twice turn everything. So, I rough it out while green, DNA soak it and then after a couple of months to totally dry, finish turn it. I know some turn green to finish, just not something I have tried yet but it sure would save a lot of time!

Robert Henrickson
01-28-2013, 6:47 PM
For you guys that do taller HF's, i.e., >10", and you use an endgrain orientation, are you drilling out the pith in the base if you have to leave the pith in? Hard to get the diameter I need without utilizing the pith.....................

Thanks.

I leave the pith, even with oak. Damp/wet oak requires lots of monitoring. I simply put on a coat of dilute lacquer, out it in a paper bag WITHOUT shavings, and keep an eye out for cracks. Rarely problems except with oak, but when something begins to crack, I hit with CA and then check it frequently for a week or two. By that time, the worst has passed.