PDA

View Full Version : FIRST SHOW?!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-01-2005, 9:43 PM
I've done craft, etc. shows in the past, but this weekend was the first time, I set up and worked an arts show.

First off, it was outside at an Open form mall (Where you have to go outside to go from store to store). :eek:

There were 15 artists yesterday. Only twelve returned today. :rolleyes:

The high yesterday was 54 with sustained winds of 10 to 15 mph and gusts of 20 mph. Today was a high of 56, but the wind was sustained at almost 20 MPH with gusts of 30-35 mph. :eek: :eek:

I sold 1 Piece yesterday and one piece today. Total 85.00, for two days time. Thanks to the promoters for not charging us anything for booth space. :rolleyes:

Actually, I was one of the lucky ones, I sold something and didn't lose a tent or product. A Potter lost three pieces valued at about 300.00 even before he got set up. An Oil on Canvas Artist lost three pieces when the wind litterly ripped them from the display. :eek:

One artist sold about 500.00 yeasteday, but most sold nothing.

I guess I did well. Did learn that I don't want to do shows outside this early in the year.

Bruce ;)

Cecil Arnold
05-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Bruce, I've only done one show, but a friend who manages to make one or two each year tells me that it is importaint to pick & choose where you display. Another item that you might find interesting is that she always has some inexpenseive items in the $10-20 range for those people who would like to buy something but don't want to spring for $50-75 ceremic bowls. I think I made my rent plus about $20 on that show, but I'll be back in the fall to test the water again.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-02-2005, 8:19 AM
Bruce,

Keep trying there! Crappy weather and an outdoor display make for no customers :(. We have a craft show near us every year in the end of July. The first year I went (as a shopper), it was cold and windy. There was no one to be found. The next year it was perfect weather and there were hoards of people.

Glenn Hodges
05-02-2005, 8:50 AM
The crowd at arts and crafts shows are determined in a large part by the weather which over which we have no control. Keep at it, and you will beat the bad weather.

Raymond Overman
05-02-2005, 9:08 AM
Bruce,

Sorry to hear about your tough weekend. I like the format of our outdoor show but it's hard to grind them out when the weather doesn't cooperate. Don't give up on them though. They can be profitable and fun.

I've got a local spring festival I'm working this coming weekend. I just looked at the weather for Friday and Saturday and we're looking at t-storms Friday and showers Saturday. I sure do hope they're wrong because the rent has already been paid and the show must go on.

Last year was the first year my father and I did this show, or any show for that matter. We cleared about $400 after paying for the booth, lunch, and all of the strawberry shortcakes that the booth next to us were selling. Not bad for hobby income, $15-$40 pieces, and having a good time. We even did pen turning demos on a mini so we got in some turning. I think we're going to do tops for the kiddies this year.

A funny story that came out of last years show:

A little boy who had obviously laid down in the dirt and rolled around at some point due to his disheveled appearance, came up and was fascinated by the lathe and our pen turning. After watching for a while he left for about an hour and came back and asked my father, "Hey mister, do you have a pen for $2," while holding his life savings in his hand. We had all of our pens, mostly euro and cigar styles marked at $25 but dad made him a slim line pen out of some scrap cherry for the $2. You couldn't have made the kid any happier and we made $.46 for the labor if you count the pen kit at $1.49 and the shellawax at $.5. It was well worth the look on the kid's face. He held onto that pen like it was solid gold.

Chuck Nickerson
05-03-2005, 1:15 AM
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. If the promoters are giving you the space for free, how much advertising could they do, and how in-demand can the spaces be?

Bart Sharp
05-05-2005, 7:12 PM
Bruce,

Sorry to hear about your tough weekend. I like the format of our outdoor show but it's hard to grind them out when the weather doesn't cooperate. Don't give up on them though. They can be profitable and fun.

I've got a local spring festival I'm working this coming weekend. I just looked at the weather for Friday and Saturday and we're looking at t-storms Friday and showers Saturday. I sure do hope they're wrong because the rent has already been paid and the show must go on.

Last year was the first year my father and I did this show, or any show for that matter. We cleared about $400 after paying for the booth, lunch, and all of the strawberry shortcakes that the booth next to us were selling. Not bad for hobby income, $15-$40 pieces, and having a good time. We even did pen turning demos on a mini so we got in some turning. I think we're going to do tops for the kiddies this year.

A funny story that came out of last years show:

A little boy who had obviously laid down in the dirt and rolled around at some point due to his disheveled appearance, came up and was fascinated by the lathe and our pen turning. After watching for a while he left for about an hour and came back and asked my father, "Hey mister, do you have a pen for $2," while holding his life savings in his hand. We had all of our pens, mostly euro and cigar styles marked at $25 but dad made him a slim line pen out of some scrap cherry for the $2. You couldn't have made the kid any happier and we made $.46 for the labor if you count the pen kit at $1.49 and the shellawax at $.5. It was well worth the look on the kid's face. He held onto that pen like it was solid gold.

This reminds me of something we saw at the Feast of the Hunters Moon here in Lafayette last fall. There's a guy who has been there forever (20 years maybe he said?) turning on an old hand-cranked lathe. It has a big wheel and a long leather belt. The deal is, if you crank the wheel, he turns you a little knick-knack (a top, a Christmas tree, etc). There were kids lined up 20 deep all day for the chance to turn that wheel. There were people there who had gotten a little turning every year since he started, and now were bringing their own kids to take a turn cranking. Talk about cool!