PDA

View Full Version : Why Rep?

Dave West
05-01-2005, 8:21 PM
If I can ever get the money together, I'm gonna buy a laser. I read the posts that suggest going with a rep over a dealer. The reason I ask is I have a dealer (with tech support and help desk) about 90 minutes from me. What else would I get from a rep?

Thanks,

Dave

Bob Tate
05-02-2005, 8:19 PM
I think that is a good question. I called Epilog to get prices and they would only give me a local distributor name and number. I have not been able to get hold of this guy (due to my work schedule).

I hope someone answers this one.

Rodne Gold
05-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Dave
I'm not sure where it was stated a REP is the better or worse way to go , however it has been stated many times that backup and service are a prime consideration in choosing a laser. Whichever co can provide that , whether its a REP or a nearby distribution centre should be worthy of consideration. A Rep might facilitate service , much like dealing with a broker rather than the parent insurance company. If the REP is very conversant with the machine and any issues , it might be quicker to go thru them to solve any problems , however the REP is only as good as the co that supports them.

Bob , the parent co should have taken your details and had a local distributor contact you immediately the moment you expressed interest. Im not sure how the call went , but fobbing you off and making you do the leg work is not a good start assuming it went that way.

Roy Brewer
05-03-2005, 12:15 AM
>>I read the posts that suggest going with a rep over a dealer. <<

I, like Rodney, must have missed the post. Hard to say what was meant since almost every company has a <!--StartFragment -->slightly different definition of those terms. I can tell you that with the two companies with which I work (Epilog & Xenetech) there is no distinction between distributor and rep (they are one in the same).

Possibly the thought is that a rep or sub rep might work from a location nearer to you. As most on this board suggest, service and support is incredibly important. *But,* I think most will agree that a huge percentage of support will *not* be on site. Serious problems are almost always handled by the manufacturer's tech support team and "how to" issues are typically handled by the distributor/rep over the phone.

Bob Tate
05-03-2005, 9:59 AM
Thanks guys, that is the explanation I was looking for. I need to contact the rep, I cannot have him calling me at work. That is looking for trouble. I am OK with the scenario. I was just wondering why they were getting a third party involved. Now I understand.

Dave West
05-03-2005, 11:56 AM
I could've sworn I read that here somewhere. Anyway, I guess all that matters is who's giving the best support regardless of their title.

Dave

Jeanette Brewer
05-03-2005, 12:55 PM
I think that is a good question. I called Epilog to get prices and they would only give me a local distributor name and number. I have not been able to get hold of this guy (due to my work schedule).

I hope someone answers this one.

Bob:

Most Epilog distributors will gladly email you their price list if it's difficult/impossible for you to receive calls. I believe your distributor is Tom Doran. By removing the spaces, you can reach him via email at icsystems2 @ qwest.net (icsystems2@qwest.net)

I'm certain that Tom will get back to you very quickly re: prices & etc.