PDA

View Full Version : Scrape or Plane after initial glue up

Glenn Samuels
01-28-2013, 8:34 AM
I've glued up 2 panels 24 x 36 of African Mahogany. I used Hide glue and was able to clean one side but the reverse side has glue squeeze. Will I damage my new LV BU planer to clean the glue or should I go to a scraper?

Brian Ashton
01-28-2013, 8:41 AM
I just use a sharp paint scraper - preferably while the glue is still relatively soft.

David Weaver
01-28-2013, 8:48 AM
Get most of it off with a scraper or a chisel then plane it clean. The plane won't mind it much, but there's no reason to gunk up the sole slowly shaving thin bits of glue off of the boards.

Jim Koepke
01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
This is only one of the reasons some beater tools are in my shop. They can do jobs like this without worries. Most of the time a beater chisel is used if there is heavy squeeze out. It is then followed by one of my beater planes.

jtk

Prashun Patel
01-28-2013, 12:29 PM
This is IMHO a great reason to get a $5 block plane on ebay. I prefer a beater plane to a beater chisel, because you can be a little rougher with it with relatively less fear of tear out.

glenn bradley
01-28-2013, 1:11 PM
I'm in the scraper camp. Once the glue is off the exposed surface, you can plane, sand, scrape or do whatever your final preparation is before finishing.

Jim Koepke
01-28-2013, 4:13 PM
This is IMHO a great reason to get a $5 block plane on ebay. I prefer a beater plane to a beater chisel, because you can be a little rougher with it with relatively less fear of tear out.

My statement should have been a bit more clarified. If the squeeze out is rather light, then a plane is fine. My chisels come out when there is good size blobs of squeeze out or if working into a corner.

jtk

Bobby O'Neal
01-28-2013, 5:54 PM
I'm with Prashun on this one. With minimal or maximum squeeze out I am always comfortable attacking it with a block plane that I don't have a lot of sentiment with.

Chris Fournier
01-28-2013, 6:23 PM
I'd never choose the plane or chisel for this task, I save them for more important and worthy efforts. A paint or card scraper is cheaper, faster to use and easier to sharpen.

Jeff Heath
01-29-2013, 4:24 PM
My small chisel plane excels at this very task. If you don't want to buy one, you can easily make a block of wood that will hold a chisel at the correct angle to be efficient. One swipe and done.

Jeff

Trevor Walsh
01-30-2013, 8:04 PM
For me it depends on the wood, you won't hurt the tools, but I'd rather potentially nick a scraper that sharpens up in a second with a file rather than a plane that it honed perfect. If I have squeeze out it always gets the heavy scraper first.

Harold Burrell
01-31-2013, 12:00 AM
I use one of these:

http://www.reddevil.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=827

It actually is quite a beast when it comes to removing glue.

Bill Fleming
01-31-2013, 1:59 PM
I use one of these from Lee Valley, have had it for some time and love it....

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32664&cat=1,41182

Matthew N. Masail
01-31-2013, 3:47 PM
I say get a 5$ block plane anyway.. it's great to have and you get to buy a new tool! :D

I use mine also on MDF and stuff like that.

Harold Burrell
01-31-2013, 7:08 PM
I use one of these from Lee Valley, have had it for some time and love it....

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32664&cat=1,41182

oooh...I'm thinking that it wouldn't be all that hard to make one of them...

Sam Babbage
02-01-2013, 2:12 AM
At a shop I worked at forr five years we had an old beater #4 dedicated to this purpose, don't think it was ever sharpened...

A paint or card is great if the glue is still soft, but doesn't work if it has gone off, like in the exceedingly common occurrence of getting a panel glued up late so it can be worked the next day.