PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a reliable web host?

Derek Cohen
01-28-2013, 7:16 AM
I need a new host for my website. My current provider is down again and backup service appears to have declined to zero.

Any recommendations?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jacob Nothstine
01-28-2013, 8:44 AM
I have had good luck with Host Monster. I have used them over 5 years. They are cheap to.

http://www.hostmonster.com/?gclid=CNSX5YiXi7UCFY9DMgod2UsAiw

john davey
01-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Derek, I have used Hostmonster for 4 years now as well with very good results.

Phil Thien
01-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Derek, I have used Hostmonster for 4 years now as well with very good results.

I'm using Bluehost, which I believe is a sister company to Hostmonster. I've only been using it a few weeks, but it has been very good. Inexpensive, too.

Mike Henderson
01-28-2013, 10:39 AM
I've been using DreamHost and have been satisfied. They've been reliable and have responded quickly when I had problems -even when the problems were because I'm not a web expert.

Mike

Ron Bontz
01-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Not to hijack Derek's thread but I just signed up with 1&1. My problem is I am clueless about web sites. I am already disappointed it doesn't appear to do what I want without "upgrading" to a more expensive package. Hence is there a good source of "how to". I may pull the rest of my hair out. Well, all five of them anyway. :):) Thanks for posting this, Derek.

Phil Thien
01-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Not to hijack Derek's thread but I just signed up with 1&1. My problem is I am clueless about web sites. I am already disappointed it doesn't appear to do what I want without "upgrading" to a more expensive package. Hence is there a good source of "how to". I may pull the rest of my hair out. Well, all five of them anyway. :):) Thanks for posting this, Derek.

I'd get off 1and1 if you're still under their 30-day trial.

I tried them and found numerous problems with their service.

Jacob Muldowney
01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Hostgator has never let me down.

Bill Edwards(2)
01-28-2013, 1:03 PM
I've used bluehost for years. I think they do a good job and provide good service.

Rick McQuay
01-28-2013, 2:11 PM
Been using Hostgator for years with no complaints.

Don Kondra
01-29-2013, 2:06 AM
I use a paid service with iPage.com for my woodworking site and a free service with weebly.com for my photography site.

Oddly enough the free site with weebly seems to have more features but their domain name cost is slightly higher...

Both use the same free site builder.

Cheers, Don

Derek Cohen
01-29-2013, 9:53 AM
Thanks for all the references. I've been using a US-based host company, ReadyHosting, because my website is a .com. However I have found (this may be new) that Australian hosts will accept a .com as well. Consequently I have decided that it would be best to use a Perth-based company if I can or, at least, one that Australian for ease of communication (time differences make telephoning difficult).

My website is up again (for those that noticed it was down). I managed to sort this out myself - the present host's support was totally missing, which is the reason I must leave for a reliable company.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Becker
02-01-2013, 9:29 PM
I've used myhosting.com for many years. Totally satisfied.

Chuck Wintle
02-02-2013, 5:13 AM
I went from bluehost to Simply Hosting for my genealogy website because they were less expensive by about half. So far its working well and the few problems I had initially were handled quickly by the staff there.

paul cottingham
02-02-2013, 11:09 AM
There is a local company here in Victoria called islandnet that has superb hosting. quite reasonable, and the main techs are still the owners.