PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Pecan- a bowl with character or....

Michael Stafford
05-01-2005, 7:40 PM
an ugly POS! You decide...

Here is a bowl made from a piece of spalted pecan given by the LOML at Christmas.

I cannot decide if it is the color or if it the fact that this bowl is so "busy". I do not care for the yellow color. :(

The bowl is 8" in diameter and 3" tall.

What do you think?

Jerry Clark
05-01-2005, 7:55 PM
I personally like it and do not think it is to busy. It does have a lot of pattern in it, but the form is nice. :D

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 8:58 PM
It's a fine bowl, Mike. You did good by keeping the form simple so it didn't compete with the spalting.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-01-2005, 9:12 PM
I agree with Jim. Good use of the wood. Give it a little time. I think it will grow on you.

Cecil Arnold
05-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Looks like a good'n to me.

John Miliunas
05-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Yup, looks like a "keeper" to me, too!:) Also, most woods change color after time. The yellow on that may indeed mellow out some with time. Nice job, Mike!:cool:

John Hart
05-02-2005, 7:40 AM
Personally, I like how "busy" it is. It has life. Nice bowl! More inspiration. :)

Jeff Sudmeier
05-02-2005, 8:37 AM
I really like it as well! Mike, I think you did a great job on this one. Sometimes you just have to let the wood to the talking. Other times with more bland woods, it is better to create a great form. I think you chose the right path here...

Glenn Hodges
05-02-2005, 8:45 AM
Hey Mike, if you made it for your wife, the question is, how does she like it? I love spalting, the only time I don't care for it is when it gets so punky and difficult to turn. This is a beauty with nice form.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2005, 9:01 AM
Mike....beauty is so subjective! I personally like the bowl. It has character! As said by others the simple form doesn't compete with the spalting. Great work!

Raymond Overman
05-02-2005, 9:16 AM
Lot's of spalting is one of my favorites. It's a gorgeous piece to me and the yellow will darken to a richer brown eventually. At least that's what I've seen in some other spalted pecan. Give it time and it will grow on you or set it out for sale and see how fast someone grabs it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Steve Inniss
05-02-2005, 10:16 AM
...character

Kurt Aebi
05-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Character! That is my vote, Mike!

Definitely not an ugly "Pecan Orbital Sander" - or whatever you meant! :D

I really like all the busy-ness of this piece, you got nice smooth form and let the piece acuentuate itself. Nice work and again a superb finish - ya sure got that down!

Fred LeBail
05-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Love the bowl, of course I like Spalted wood as you can see in my last posts.
Certainly doesn't look busy to me.

Carole Valentine
05-02-2005, 2:43 PM
I like it. I'm glad you posted it because I have a piece of spalted pecan which in blank form, looks pretty ugly to me. You have inspired me to give it a turn and see what happens. Keeping it simple was the way to go with that much spalting.