PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to MDF board

Chris Edens
01-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Does anyone have any advice on an alternative to MDF board not a fan of the formaldehyde fumes? I have heard eucalyptus is a good alternative but I am having a hard time finding any for a good price. A client wants something they can paint so the cheaper the alternative is the better. I am looking for 1/8 of an inch thick.

Ray Beaty
01-28-2013, 6:13 AM
If you happen to live close to Fort Worth,Texas you can buy 1/8 mdf at Fort Worth Plywood for $8.48 a sheet. This is a 4x8 sheet and it cuts great with little smoke.

George Bokros
01-28-2013, 6:56 AM
Not sure if MDO is cheaper but it paints well.

Martin Boekers
01-28-2013, 9:20 AM
Maybe thats why I have issues with .125 board for dye sub, when it heats it irritates me like formeldehyde used to in my photo processing days....

Steven Cox
01-29-2013, 4:57 PM
Not knowing what your final product is makes it difficult to suggest alternatives to MDF, but seeing as you specify 1/8 (3mm) you might be able to use Matt Board which is a thick dense cardboard that's commonly used in picture framing and available in a range of colours and finishes. Matt Board cuts beautifully and fast with the laser. If you can't use a paper based product like Matt Board did you know that there different grades of MDF?

Here in Australia there are 3 grades of MDF so I'd assume it would be the same elsewhere, MDF Standard, MDF Lite and MDF Moisture Resistant (MR). I've only ever seen MR in thicknesses of 12mm (1/2 inch) and up, the way to tell the difference between MR and Standard apart from the price is that MR has a noticeable green fleck that can be seen in the edge of the sheet.

MDF Lite has the same range of thicknesses as Standard and its available in 3mm (1/8). Lite is about half the weight of Standard and a lot cheaper too. The way to tell them apart from the weight and price is Lite is a very light Tan colour whilst Standard is more of a light Brown Colour.

I've cut both Lite and Standard with my laser, Lite cuts with much less smoke, you can still smell the formaldehyde but its much less than the standard in my opinion. For painting you can also get a precoated white sheet in 1/8, most common use for this is backs of cabinets but some artists use it as well.

Hope this helps,
Regards Steve.

Mel Fulks
01-29-2013, 5:06 PM
How about Italian bending poplar ?About 3mm, 3 ply . Two going one way and one going the other way.Sold 8x4 and 4x8 depending on which bend direction is needed . Also sold in smaller pieces by mail.

Mike Lysov
01-31-2013, 12:13 AM
I've only ever seen MR in thicknesses of 12mm (1/2 inch) and up, the way to tell the difference between MR and Standard apart from the price is that MR has a noticeable green fleck that can be seen in the edge of the sheet...

Hi Steve,

I have never heard of MDF Lite but you can buy MR MDF in thicknesses other than 12mm. A guy from Finewoods from VIC recently dropped me a 18mm thick sample of 18mm thick MR MDF. He also told me they have 4,6,9 and 12mm. The strange thing they do not show 18mm thickness on their website as available option but the sample is 18mm thick for sure. The sample he dropped is not green, it is brownish. Close in colour to the door they show on their website at http://ventech.com.au/pages/products.asp?PID=18

They aslo sell a lot on of other wooden panels. There are also a signboard available in Australia that I have seen only in 9mm thickness. It is kind of MDF but made from hardwood particles. It's primed in white on one side and the same brownish colour at the back as MR MDF I have. Both MR MDF and Signboard still must be painted all the way around if used outdoor. Signboard can be bought in MITRA 10 in Australia. Some MITRA 10 stores stock them but I guess you can pre-order it to be delivered to any store. May be even in Bunnings.

Steven Cox
02-01-2013, 4:01 PM
Hi Mike, Yes MDF MR is brownish but you need to look close at the edge for small green flecks. No flecks? then its Standard MDF. Signboard is a thicker MR version of Masonite you can get it from most Sign suppliers on my laser signboard is too dense to cut in one pass. In Australia, MDF Lite is made by Laminex, CSR. I worked in the Cabinet Supply industry in WA for nearly 10 years most of that time with Laminex Industries and also as a self employed Cabinet Maker for a number of years before my back gave out.