PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Recommendations

Rich Riddle
01-28-2013, 12:09 AM
I just returned from the Kansas City Woodworking Show. They had Woodpecker representatives there selling a router table package.

http://www.woodpeck.com/prp2.html

It also came with the superfence a couple of feather boards and a microadjuster for $929. I'm just wondering if the members like this system or another better? I am also wondering if it's a bit expensive and it's best to wait for a used router table package.

So what are your thoughts?

Rick Potter
01-28-2013, 3:54 AM
To me, that's an awful lot of money. I bought a Rockler table, stand, Jessem (?) lift and fence, and 3 HP PC router used for $300. A few scratches when I got it, but works great.

Granted yours is a step up from the Rockler (I also have a Woodpecker setup), but the deals are out there. Of course, new is nice.

Rick Potter

Bill Huber
01-28-2013, 8:11 AM
If you are looking at a complete kit you may also look at the Jessem. I have the Jessem and really like it, the fence runs on rails that are at the edges of the table and the table is smooth with no T-Track in the back. The lift will take just about any router out there which is nice so you can up grade when ever you need to or want to.

http://www.jessemdirect.com/Mast_R_Lift_II_Complete_Router_Table_Package_p/mast-r-lift%20ii%20kit-3.htm

Robert LaPlaca
01-28-2013, 8:45 AM
I bought a Woodpeckers router table much like the one in your link about 12 years ago.. Love the table, has served me well, my setup didn't include the router lift as I am (ahem) too thrifty. My setup had a Wonderfence, which I just recently added a Incra LS positioner.. Maybe someday I will buy a lift.. And yes $950 is a lot of money

Mike Goetzke
01-28-2013, 8:57 AM
I just returned from the Kansas City Woodworking Show. They had Woodpecker representatives there selling a router table package.

It also came with the superfence a couple of feather boards and a microadjuster for $929. I'm just wondering if the members like this system or another better? I am also wondering if it's a bit expensive and it's best to wait for a used router table package.

I'm currently building that setup into a cabinet. I've had the lift for a few years now and really like it. Last year I sold my cabinet saw and my router table in the wing went with it. So I picked up the phenolic table on special and added the superfence and micro adjuster. I've only used it on saw horses so far but really like the combo. My previous fence was a Incra positioner/wonder fence. For top bearing bits this fence makes quick setups. I have a Milwaukee 5625-20 in mine.

FYI - 1) my 43" phenolic table was bowed downward (about 0.015" in the middle) and needed to be adjusted flat - just like my old laminated top was to start with. So a non-phenolic top may be more economical. 2) the center of the router is set back further to give more front work space - some may not like this, I haven't used it long enough to decide which I like better.

Good Luck,

Mike

Rich Riddle
01-28-2013, 9:04 AM
Mike,

It comes with one of two lifts. Which do you have?

Larry Browning
01-28-2013, 9:14 AM
My recommendation would be to build you own. You will almost always be able to do it for much less money than buying. You can put what ever design features you want. Plus, it is a very satisfying project to build. Do lots of research, take ideas for lots of sources, have fun! I made mine mostly from scrap plywood and hardwoods, so it has a "unique" look to it. One side is oak and the other is cherry, with mostly walnut trim. It has lots of drawers and bit storage. You can make it what ever you want it to be.

Mike Goetzke
01-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Mike,

It comes with one of two lifts. Which do you have?

I was one of the first to buy the PRL-V2. It originally only came with the thumbwheel adjuster. I can't remember exactly but it has a range of I think +/- 3/8" fine adjustment. So if you make many adjustments in one direction you could loose ability to adjust. You can ratchet this back with a coarse adjustment but you loose your starting point (not a big deal). They then introduce the sidewinder to eliminate this possible limitation. I was one of the beta testers and really liked it. My new cabinet with lots of storage drawers may not make it convenient to have the sidewinder (no place to run the cable) so I may revert back to the thumbwheel. One other thing with the thumbwheel. When it was introduced it was advertised as a "tool-less" system, but, especially if you are using a large dia. bit the vibration could cause the thumbwheel to move. There is a set screw to lock it down but that's not tool-less. The sidewinder has a small thumbscrew to lock it in place. Both work good - if it's easy to apply I would go with the sidewinder.

Mike

Keith Hankins
01-28-2013, 11:18 AM

Build your own. While you cant beat their lifts, (I have the PRL) build your own. I used Norm's plans and put the PRL in it with the Incra LS120 Fence bought used, and I think I may have 2 sheets ply maybe and the top is two 3/4 pieces of mdf sandwiched and covered in formica bandded in oak. Threw a pc7518 in it (most expensive part). I may have 600 in it including the router. One of the most used and its going on 9 years old. Man that's hard to believe. (top is still flat)

Prashun Patel
01-28-2013, 12:34 PM
I have the Incra table, lift, and LS Positioner/Wonder Fence. The lift is comparable (even same manufacturer?) as the Jessem. Really precise.

I'm only recently learning to appreciate the LS Positioner and Wonder fence. They really make precision work like dados in boxes and shelves really simple and accurate.

I'm sure you can make your own, but the precision setting is really wonderful.

Matt Meiser
01-28-2013, 12:55 PM
I have the Woodpecker table, fence, and a V2 lift converted to a sidewinder with their retrofit kit. I have it all on a Kreg stand because there's really no practical difference and the Kreg stand was a slightly better deal that day. I have a PC 7518 motor in the lift. Absolutely no regrets on any of it.

glenn bradley
01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I have seen some really cool, expensive, commercial router tables. All of them were missing something that would make them perfect for me and for that kind of money, I would want perfect. The feasibility of my table, Keith's table or anyone else's table being right for you will depend how closely what you do matches what we do. I recommend deciding on your motor, lift and fence in that order. Then decide on a table that will meet the needs of those devices and build a cabinet (you can build tha table too if you like but, they are pretty reasonable) under it that suits your needs. JMHO.

Craig Behnke
01-28-2013, 1:22 PM
If I had enough time to build one, I'd do that. If I wanted to get started making other stuff right now, I'd buy it.

The people that suggest the build are correct in that you can customize it, but the trade off is time and ability. When I was relatively new to woodworking, I didn't really know what custom features i would want or need....so I went with a purchased setup and as I have gained experience, I now know what features I would include when I eventually build my custom setup.

I also recommend Jessem. I have their lift, phenolic router table and their dowel jig. all are top notch, high quality products.

my purchased set up is an incra router stand, incra fence system, jessem phenolic table, and jessem router lift.

Larry Browning
01-28-2013, 3:28 PM
If you are a hobbyist, then you do have time to build one. You may not want to, but that is a whole other thing.
If you are not sure of all the features you want, then build a minimal one and use it. You will soon discover the features you want.
I think the router table falls into the same category as the workbench, building your own is by far the preferred way to acquire it. It will develop a sentimental value that can never be achieved with store bought one. There is a certain pride you will feel every time you use it.

Of course, if you are a professional making you living at this, then you don't have time to mess with it.

Larry Browning
01-28-2013, 3:43 PM
Build your own. While you cant beat their lifts, (I have the PRL) build your own. I used Norm's plans and put the PRL in it with the Incra LS120 Fence bought used, and I think I may have 2 sheets ply maybe and the top is two 3/4 pieces of mdf sandwiched and covered in formica bandded in oak. Threw a pc7518 in it (most expensive part). I may have 600 in it including the router. One of the most used and its going on 9 years old. Man that's hard to believe. (top is still flat)

Keith, that is a awesome looking table! I'd bet you had a blast building it.

Gary Petrauskas
01-28-2013, 4:31 PM
I think building you own is the way to go but it's not for everyone for various reasons. I liked Norm's table and planned on building it but just never got around to doing it, so many projects and so little time kind of thing. If you're leaning towards buying I suggest taking a look the RT-1000 (knock-off of Norm's), a solid performer with good dust collection. I've been very pleased with mine and doing business with Joe was a pleasure.

Keith Hankins
01-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Actually I did. I had gotten out of woodworking for 4 or 5 years. All my tools were in a shed rusting. I moved to a house with a two car garage and decided to get back into it. This was my first project. The wife did the stained glass from a pattern a guy did from Texas. It's hard to believe its been that long but seriously is one of the most used tools in my shop. I've been very satisfied with the 7518 its been a real workhorse. I'm glad I took that reccomendation.

John Sanders
01-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Look at the Incra tables. Makes dovetailing sort of idiot proof.

Ole Anderson
01-29-2013, 12:56 PM
I agree with Larry on building your own, and don't ignore good dust collection, particularly at the back of the fence as that is where the bit wants to throw all the chips. Here is mine, from magazine plans, using an Hitachi M12v router, a Woodpecker lift and a Freud fence:

Peter Kuhlman
01-29-2013, 1:24 PM
I originally purchased the complete Woodpecker setup. Decided later that I wanted a full cabinet under the top to store my ever multiplying router collection and accessories. Ended up building a huge 32" by 48" top on a rolling cabinet with lots of drawers and am so happy with it. If you purchase, I recommend the Jessem or Incra positioners and lifts. The top can be whatever works for you. I used 1" thick phenolic coated baltic birch and reinforced it especially arround the lift plate.

Rich Riddle
01-29-2013, 1:31 PM
I originally purchased the complete Woodpecker setup. Decided later that I wanted a full cabinet under the top to store my ever multiplying router collection and accessories. Ended up building a huge 32" by 48" top on a rolling cabinet with lots of drawers and am so happy with it. If you purchase, I recommend the Jessem or Incra positioners and lifts. The top can be whatever works for you. I used 1" thick phenolic coated baltic birch and reinforced it especially arround the lift plate.You owned the Woodpecker but recommend the Incra or Jessum?

Marty Gulseth
01-29-2013, 2:55 PM
Thanks to all who posted previously. This is a great read, and timely. I have been lusting after some sort of router table setup for a while now. I just bought a PC 7518 (Woodcraft had a sale, I've never seen the '18 for that low a price!) and I've decided on either a PRL or Sidewinder (probably the latter) as soon as I save up a few more $$. I have a piece of MDF left over that will become the first top, and a utility table in the gargage that is roughly the right size and will be converted to a temporary stand. I have (almost) enough stuff "in inventory" to build a simple fence. I figure I'll kludge all that together and get some experience with it, then, as Larry mentioned, I'll fine-tune and build/buy as needed toward a "proper" table, fence, etc.

This forum is a great place for inspiration, "how-to", and general encouragement. I appreciate that!

Oh, and to Rich - please pardon me partly hi-jacking your thread!

Regards, Marty

Peter Kuhlman
01-29-2013, 3:25 PM
Well Incra makes the positioner and fence and Woodpeckers makes the lift and sells them under their name and Incra's.
The Jessem stuff is very high quality and oh so smooth operating - they just don't have a positioner. Love their miter slider attachment.
I had a Woodpecker MDF type top and sold it as wanted something larger and had purchased a piece of 1" phenolic coated multi-ply plywood 32x48" from Woodpeckers a few years ago and it works great as a top. Still using my Incra positioner mated to a Woodhaven fence and a Woodpecker V2 lift with PC 7518 in a dust box.

Stew Hagerty
01-29-2013, 3:28 PM

Let me start off by saying that I love Woodpeckers. I have... Well, right now I don't want to think about how much money I have wrapped up in their stuff. But, lets just say that I have a whole wall pretty much dedicated to their stuff.

That said, I have the Incra LS Super system. It's mounted on their large 27x43 offset table that I then completely enclosed and fitted with dust collection. I do have the Woodpeckers V2 lift with Sidewinder add-on under the hood (NOTE: if you get the Incra Table, buy the Woodpeckers lift from Incra. Incra has Woodpeckers make it so that the Incra MagnaLock Plates fit. I HIGHLY recommend!). And there's a DW 7518 running the show.

That setup, less the DW7518, is about the same price as what you're looking at with WAY more versatility, with the famous Incra accuracy plus the ability to do all of the famous Incra joinery.

Yes, it's a lot of money. But if you're considering spending that much for the Woodpeckers system, which by the way is top notch in its own right, then you should at least check out the Incra LS Super System.

http://www.incrementaltools.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RTCOMBO%2D3&CartID=1

And here are some pics of mine:

Rich Riddle
01-29-2013, 3:49 PM
Stew,

I just looked at Inra's website. That's one huge mess. I can't even figure out where there packages are located on there.

Stew Hagerty
01-29-2013, 5:21 PM
Stew,

I just looked at Inra's website. That's one huge mess. I can't even figure out where there packages are located on there.

Follow the link I posted.

http://www.incrementaltools.com/Prod...O%2D3&CartID=1 (http://www.incrementaltools.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RTCOMBO%2D3&CartID=1)

Actually, that's a link to Fence & Table Combo #3 which is the one I happen to have. Here is a link to the combo choices:

http://www.incrementaltools.com/Router_Table_Combos_s/37.htm

And here is a link to the LS Super System just so you can get a good look at the really cool stuff. Oh, and make sure to look at the videos.

http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_LS_Super_System_17_Range_p/ls17wfncsys.htm

Actually that was a link to the 17" LS system. They also make a 25" system, but unless you do really large panels that you need to route the center of on a regular basis, then you probably don't need that one.

Let me know if you have any questions. I absolutely love mine. It is some of the best money I've spent on my shop.

Hank Hill
01-29-2013, 6:10 PM
I've got the top end model of the Woodpecker at a woodworking show and it works quite well. The sidewinder lift is excellent and they recently released a micro-adust for the fence that also works quite well. The table is solid and the stand is quick to put together. The Woodpecker lift is pre-drilled for a Wixey so you can add a digital gauge in less than 5 minutes if you like. I'd rather focus my woodworking on projects that make it out of the shop than spending every working hour I'm in the shop building more shop projects.

Brian Brightwell
01-29-2013, 9:49 PM
I think any woodworker should make his own router table. Take all the features you like and go for it. This is mine, made it last summer. The base and top is oak and ash. The fence is Joint tech with a Jessem lift. I am working on dust collection now.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/P1010057.jpg
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/DSC_0110.jpg
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/Sept2012070_zps608dd15d.jpg

This is what I used to have.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/DSC_0741.jpg

Prashun Patel
01-30-2013, 9:13 AM
I am impressed with the quality of the tables these guys have built. However, I don't agree with the declarations that building is preferred to buying. I think the good news is that you can end up with *perfect* solutions either way you go. The bad news is that either will likely cost a pretty penny to reach perfection.

Ole Anderson
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Brian, that is one massively overbuilt router table! Very cool. Looks like Lincoln Logs on steroids. Could you give us some particulars and a few more shots?

Larry Browning
01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Prashum,
There is a feeling of pride and pleasure each time I use my router table knowing that I built it and it works flawlessly that you will never get from a store bought setup. For me, there is also a great satisfaction and fun in building something for me, that I know I will use on a regular basis. I also know every nook and cranny of mine and what it took to get it that way. It can be a way to practice new woodworking techniques such as new types of joints or finishing. I do not believe any of these things can be achieved with a store bought model. Now, if these things are not important to you, then for you, building might not be preferred to buying. But for me, all of these thing are important and go to the heart of why I love my hobby.
Ole's table is exactly what I am talking about. Go try to buy that! I can guarantee you that he is incredibly proud of that table, and loves using it. There is no way anything that he could have gone out and bought could even come close to that table.
For me, it's the journey, not the destination that is important. I suppose that is one of the main things that defines the difference between the hobbyist and the professional.

Prashun Patel
01-30-2013, 2:15 PM
First, Larry, I love your signature. We had a t-shirt in computer league in high school that said "1+1=10" and elicited a lot of nerdy chuckles when people looked at us perplexed.

I get it. I appreciate the journey too - and take nothing away from the spectacular built tables that've been posted. All I'm saying is that the tone of some of the posts seemed to imply that they were superior in quality or features to the store bought ones. I just wanted to point out that it's not universally accepted that the store bought ones are lacking in anything but personal pride. I would have loved to make mine, but just didn't have the time when i needed one. If the OP's in the same boat, then just didn't want him to have to spend a few hundred $$ on a Jessem or Incra solution AND to feel like he was settlin' or sinnin'.

Larry Browning
01-30-2013, 3:19 PM
A router table is one of those rare tools that can be built to at least the same or better quality of anything that can be purchased. I think I would be hard pressed to say anyone could make their own table saw or jointer that could match the quality of what is available to purchase. So, with the router table, you can have the joy of making it yourself and top notch quality, it is a shame when you don't make your own, you are missing out on quite an opportunity. BTW, a good workbench falls into this same category.

I am glad you enjoyed my signature. I see that you fall into the group that understands binary:)

BTW: I wonder how binary 10 is pronounced??? One Zero just seems wrong.

Brian Brightwell
01-30-2013, 3:51 PM
Brian, that is one massively overbuilt router table! Very cool. Looks like Lincoln Logs on steroids. Could you give us some particulars and a few more shots?

Well I had left over two bys from when I built my barn that I needed to do something with. Most of the boards had defects after all they were kulls from the barn but I didn't need long stock for a router table. The square hole in the front with the plug is to allow speed adjustment of the router PC7518. I wanted to use the same Joint-Tech fence that I had on my Dad's Crapsman table saw but I wanted a longer table so I routed the big rabbit and dado for the Joint-tech fence. The Crapsman table saw is pretty much dedicated to box joints. I was hoping the mass would cut down on vibration and noise. The thick top I hoped would remain flat. So far it is. I flattened the top on my wide belt sander.

The top was to thick for my portable saw. The top was to long to safely use the fence. I needed to use my table saw and I remembered this trick from somewhere. Tacked a miter-slot runner to the bottom of the router top.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/DSC_0107.jpg

I built the base small so to have toe and knee space when standing close to the top. I hate bumping my knees and feet. However,it I had it to do over again I would have done it differently because to me it does not look wright.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/Sept2012056-Copy-Copy_zps6d8ec117.jpg

Christopher Manns
01-30-2013, 4:19 PM
Dude...that's a hella setup!
What does the final build weigh? How do you service the router? remove the top? or is there a door not visible in the pictures?

Ole Anderson
01-30-2013, 4:35 PM
Prashum,
There is a feeling of pride and pleasure each time I use my router table knowing that I built it and it works flawlessly that you will never get from a store bought setup. For me, there is also a great satisfaction and fun in building something for me, that I know I will use on a regular basis. I also know every nook and cranny of mine and what it took to get it that way. It can be a way to practice new woodworking techniques such as new types of joints or finishing. I do not believe any of these things can be achieved with a store bought model. Now, if these things are not important to you, then for you, building might not be preferred to buying. But for me, all of these thing are important and go to the heart of why I love my hobby.
Ole's table is exactly what I am talking about. Go try to buy that! I can guarantee you that he is incredibly proud of that table, and loves using it. There is no way anything that he could have gone out and bought could even come close to that table.
For me, it's the journey, not the destination that is important. I suppose that is one of the main things that defines the difference between the hobbyist and the professional.

Larry, I couldn't have said it better myself, thanks. But readily admit that it is not of my own design, right from a magazine article with only a few mods. But that does not diminish my pleasure in building and using it. (And my willingness to show it off :o)

Well I had left over two bys from when I built my barn that I needed to do something with. Most of the boards had defects after all they were kulls from the barn but I didn't need long stock for a router table.

Brian, tell me you weren't using maple two bys to build your barn, they sure don't look like pine or fir.

Brian Brightwell
01-30-2013, 4:40 PM
Dude...that's a hella setup!
What does the final build weigh? How do you service the router? remove the top? or is there a door not visible in the pictures?

Chris, the router comes out the top with the Jessem lift. I cut this hole for changing speeds without lifting it up.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/080_zps045ee27d.jpg

The hole plugged.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/Sept2012072_zpsaff501b1.jpg

Brian Brightwell
01-30-2013, 5:01 PM
"Brian, tell me you weren't using maple two bys to build your barn, they sure don't look like pine or fir."

Ole,I think I used one Maple board, the rest is Oak and Ash in the router table. I don't have much Maple.
The barn consumed 28 6x6 cedar posts, most were dead or damaged trees. All the nailers and plates are hardwood off the farm. I cut most of it after hurricane Ike came threw. And then we had a bad ice storm that same year. I wanted to sell the logs put prices were way down so I had a guy come here with a Woodmizer and saw them for 23cents a foot. But there is less waste with a band mill and I didn't have to haul them. The whole barn was screwed together with 5"x 1/2" lag bolts.
I have more logs to be sawed. I have a bur oak that is 36 inches and at least 50 feet to the first limb. I will get to use my Husky 576AT on it. It is starting to die at the top.
After I finish my dust collector and a few projects for my wife I want to build a workworking bench. I still need to do my research on it like the OP. is doing on his router table.

Joe Angrisani
01-30-2013, 5:20 PM
Rich....

You're overthinking this. While everyone has posted some fine suggestions and great information, I think you've forgotten that the best setup - one worthy of starting your own business and making a fortune - is right under your nose.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?197713-Can-anyone-read-this

:D

Brian Brightwell
01-30-2013, 5:39 PM
Hey Joe, could you mount a reloading press on there someplace?

Rich Riddle
01-30-2013, 5:41 PM
Rich....

You're overthinking this. While everyone has posted some fine suggestions and great information, I think you've forgotten that the best setup - one worthy of starting your own business and making a fortune - is right under your nose.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?197713-Can-anyone-read-this

:D
Joe, If he was just one mile closer to me, I'd have to purchase that one, but I had to draw the line somewhere and it was one mile. Too bad for my luck. Thanks for thinking of my financial future though.

Steven Hsieh
01-30-2013, 10:25 PM
I believe by the time you finish building one your self, it will be the same price as buying one. But better.

If you need one right now I would buy one.

Rich Riddle
01-31-2013, 9:03 PM
I believe by the time you finish building one your self, it will be the same price as buying one. But better.

If you need one right now I would buy one.

That sounds like an extremely accurate statement.

Denny Rice
01-31-2013, 9:49 PM

252626I love the stained window (or the plastic window to look like glass). I couldn't agree with you more, if you build your own router table you will be much happier than one of these stamped steel router tables for 400 bucks plus the 300 dollar router not including the lift. Keith, where did you get the the stain glass made? Very cool.

Steven Hsieh
02-01-2013, 12:29 AM
I already spent 800 bucks in it already.
You can get away with smaller router table, but full size router table it will cost you around 800-900 at least.

If you are going to buy it, I would buy 6 router tables, because you don't need to change router bits.

Ole Anderson
02-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Let's see what I have in mine (2005 prices):

One and a half sheets 13 ply 3/4" Chinese birch, $40
Laminate and glue, $35
Braces, hinges, pull, $30
Woodpecker plate and lift, $200 IIRC
Router plate template, $15
Hitachi M12V 3.25 hp router, $127
Freud router fence, $110
Aluminum miter slots, $25
Rockler switch, $25

Totals $607, but with some incredible router and lift pricing.

Larry Browning
02-01-2013, 11:34 AM
I have about $400 in my Norm design, but I was able to use up scrap plywood from several previous projects so the cabinet had no-cost. I even had enough MDF laying around to make the top from 2 3/4 pieces. I caught the Triton 3.25hp onsale for $199. It has a built in lift so I did not add a lift. I did get the Woodpecker plate and template. There is no way I could have even half the router table I have for if I had bought it. If I felt I needed a router table right away, I think I would buy with the idea of building my own later, but get the minimal setup and then later build a proper table.

Steven Hsieh
02-01-2013, 5:47 PM
This is the best I've seen so far

http://www.rt1000.com/id53.html

pat warner
02-01-2013, 6:11 PM
Made an adjustable fence.
Then put a Bench dog lift under the MDF (http://patwarner.com/images/bdpwf.jpg).
A continuous unbroken path for the work.

Michael W. Clark
02-01-2013, 9:01 PM
Made an adjustable fence.
Then put a Bench dog lift under the MDF (http://patwarner.com/images/bdpwf.jpg).
A continuous unbroken path for the work.

Pat, I really like the absense of the router plate. Is the Bench Dog lift easily attached to the bottom of the top?

Peter Hawser
02-01-2013, 9:18 PM
Prashum,

I'm sorry Larry but this is coming off to me as a bit pretentious, overly dramatic and highly subjective. Did you make your own table saw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, drill press... screw drivers...sand paper? Where does it end or begin? Some of us want to make furniture for the house, family or friends, not for the shop. If you want to build tools that's fine, but please don't get preachy about all this. The cuts coming off my commercial router table (bench dog extension actually) are indistinguishable from the cuts coming off your home made love fest table. The rest is what makes you feel good.

Denny Rice
02-01-2013, 10:03 PM

That is by far the coolest router table I have ever seen! And probably the heavyist too......LOL Way to go Brian.

Denny Rice
02-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Rich,

JMHO if you have the time to build a quality router table, go to www.newyankee.com (http://www.newyankee.com) and drop the 24.95 for the plans and the video. They are both well worth the money.

Larry Browning
02-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm sorry Larry but this is coming off to me as a bit pretentious, overly dramatic and highly subjective. Did you make your own table saw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, drill press... screw drivers...sand paper? Where does it end or begin? Some of us want to make furniture for the house, family or friends, not for the shop. If you want to build tools that's fine, but please don't get preachy about all this. The cuts coming off my commercial router table (bench dog extension actually) are indistinguishable from the cuts coming off your home made love fest table. The rest is what makes you feel good.
Where was it that I said that I made my own table saw, bandsaw, etc??? I said that I made my own router table and workbench and that it brought me great satisfaction in doing so. I was pointing out that there is something very satisfying about using a tool that is made with your own hand that cannot be achieved with store bought. For me, woodworking is not so much about what I produce, it is about the process of doing it. If you cannot understand that, then I feel sorry for you. What is it about woodworking the you like so much if it is the the pleasure of doing it?
Can I get an AMEN?

Larry Browning
02-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Rich,

JMHO if you have the time to build a quality router table, go to www.newyankee.com (http://www.newyankee.com) and drop the 24.95 for the plans and the video. They are both well worth the money.
Check out this link before dropping 25 bucks on Norm. http://crestonwood.com/router.php
Even though I did get Norm's plan and video. It didn't feel right not doing that.

pat warner
02-01-2013, 10:43 PM
A marathon, heavy upside down work, not recommended if your frustration tolerance is boarderline. But very nice whence done.
That one was for a client. Now using this fence (http://www.patwarner.com/images/rtf_opener.jpg) on my table.

Denny Rice
02-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Check out this link before dropping 25 bucks on Norm. http://crestonwood.com/router.php
Even though I did get Norm's plan and video. It didn't feel right not doing that.

Didn't even know those plans exsited...I do like the red laminate on the drawer fronts, kinda makes the cabinet "pop"

Denny Rice
02-01-2013, 11:42 PM
A marathon, heavy upside down work, not recommended if your frustration tolerance is boarderline. But very nice whence done.
That one was for a client. Now using this fence (http://www.patwarner.com/images/rtf_opener.jpg) on my table.

oh, nice.........

Ole Anderson
02-02-2013, 8:40 AM
This is the best I've seen so far
http://www.rt1000.com/id53.html

I wonder if Norm is getting a cut of the action on the look-alike cabinets?

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/abarb/xl1.jpg (http://www.rt1000.com/id36.html)

Gary Crompton
02-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Larry, AMEN brother. I might have the money to buy it but what fun would that be. It is individual desire, building something vs. buying. I get more satisfaction out of making it, but i am not a production shop nor do i do it for the money. I do it for the fun of it, and to push myself to improve for my personal satisfaction.

Prashun Patel
02-02-2013, 3:07 PM
This is what i object to. I respect the guys who build their own and am sure they are top notch. But the fact remains that there do exist some quality store bought aolutions that you will be very happy with. So dont go believing e hype that if you choose to buy, you missed out on quality (experience, yes). But quality no.