PDA

View Full Version : Some shop ideas

Jay Knoll
05-01-2005, 7:31 PM
Hi everyone

Here are a couple of shop ideas for you.

Here’s my version of dust collection when you’re using a pocket hole jig. I made a small “bird house” that slips over the jig. It doesn’t get in the way when I’m drilling, and the vacuum holds it in place. It doesn’t budge when I’m drilling, and debris is nonexistent. I think it is a big improvement.

Here’s what it looks like when it isn’t attached to the pocket screw jig

This is my version of a cutting table – I put dowels in the underside of the 2x4s that fit into the holes for my bench dogs. I can lean a sheet of plywood against them, and then slide the sheet onto the bench. Combined with my Festool guide rails it works great. When I’m done they store underneath the bench

I tried to get the pictures to line up with the text to no avail, if anyone can give me some hints they will be appreciated! I tried typing the document in Word with the pics inserted in the proper location, then cut and pasted, but the pics didn't come though to SMC window.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure them out.

Thanks for looking

Jay
Thanks for looking

Jay

Mike Cutler
05-01-2005, 7:51 PM
Nice innovation Jay. Proof positive that necessity is the mother of invention.
I don't have a pocket hole jig, but I like the cutting table idea.

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 8:40 PM
Jay, that last one is really a winner for me! I can make those crosspieces with dowels to fit the dog holes on my bench. Voilà! The ability to cut down sheet goods in the space I have without any chance of damaging my bench. And by lowering my Adjust-A-Bench down to the minimum it also makes material handling for this even easier! Thanks for the idea!!! :D

lou sansone
05-01-2005, 8:58 PM
I agree with jim... good idea

lou

Jeff Sudmeier
05-02-2005, 8:16 AM
Those are two great ideas! That is one of the problems with the Kreg jig, no dust collection. Looks like you solved it nicely!

Tom Hurlebaus
05-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Jay,

Thanks for the ideas. I've used the Kreg Jig for a number of projects and your idea for dust collection is exactly what's needed. I'm going to build one tonight.

Thanks ... Tom

JayStPeter
05-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Good ideas. I will definitely do the kreg jig DC.
The other is a good idea. It'll get thrown into the options for my future bench and assembly table projects.

Jay

Mark Singer
05-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Jay,

I love the Kreg dust baby! That is a winner! Gene Collison uses a mattress pad the cut on...I haven't tried it yet:confused:

Dan Stuewe
05-02-2005, 1:40 PM
I must be missing something. I have this kit but I've only used the Rocket Jig part of the kit, so maybe I just don't have a grasp on how the K2000 works. Anyway, how does the dust/chips get to the vacuum? My understanding is that the chips would all come up with the drill bit, but the roof of the bird house covers up that area? What am I missing?

Thanks for the help - must be Monday.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-02-2005, 2:01 PM
Most of the chips/dust are ejected out the back of the Pro Jig. I just set a vacuum hose near the back of the jig and that gets a lot. I will probably be building the "bird house" for better collection though.

Jay Knoll
05-02-2005, 3:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the kudos

Dan: The chips get sucked out of the back of the jig, the "birdhouse" holds the hose down near the base. If you look at the jig you'll see that each drill hole has a "port" near the bottom. That is where the chips get sucked out. When I'm using it I get very little debris coming out of the top where the drill enters the jig. Frankly it works better than I could have possibly imagined.

Jay

chris toomey
05-02-2005, 8:00 PM
i really like your bench.........