PDA

View Full Version : Jobsite organization

Steve Rozmiarek
01-27-2013, 9:02 PM
I was working in the new woodshop for a bit this evening, and it dawned on me that I can be a slob. I need some organization badly in there. Tools, hardware and supplies are all over the place. I bought jigsaw blades yesterday, and found two more unopened packs when I was looking for the tape measure.

Question, anybody have any good systems? I need portable within the building, enough space to hold the typical construction power tools, two copies of each or so, and easy to use. Security is unnecessary, I can just secure the building. My existing woodshop is the staging/storage area and building something will take a massive cleanout so I'm ok with just buying. I thought about systainers, maybe a mechanics tool chest, one of those Knaak boxes, etc, each has pros and cons. How do you guys do it?

keith micinski
01-27-2013, 9:29 PM
I have been addressing this same problem with my own business recently. One problem I see with a knack box is that it will hold some bigger items but they usually only have one tray in them so when you start trying to organize a lot of the small things it doesnt work. I recently found some clear plastic totes at Lowes that have hinged lids for 5 bucks. I wish they had a tray in them but what I have started doing is creating Job Tote organizers. I have created a plumbing tote and and electrical tote and a general tool tote so far. I have put every single tool I might need to do a job plus some extra parts so that if someone calls me to come fix a faucet and it turns into replumbing the entire sink I have anything tool I might possibly need for plumbing and I might just have the right fittings or nipples in there to. I also just picked three of these up on Craigslist for 10 bucks and am pretty excited about them http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=ZAG+ORGANIZERS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=014266R&SDesc=Stanley%26%23174%3B+Tool+Organizer. I think for tool storage I am going to get another medium size tote and then for bigger stuff I am going to get one with wheels on it and possibly even a pull handle.

Steve Kohn
01-27-2013, 9:39 PM
I work with a buddy and do "handyman" services on a volunteer basis for the elderly and infirm. So when called to fix one problem we are often asked to solve something totally different also ("hey since you're here can you look at this other problem?). So tool flexibility is required. I use two bucket buddies (one general tools and one for plumbing), a tool box (impact and drill/driver drills, batteries, and chargers), a hardware bucket (with stacking plastic inserts holding the most common hardware), and a battery operated reciprocating saw. Lastly I have a repurposed case from an impact driver with all the driver bits we might need. We also carry a circular saw on the truck.

This works for us.

keith micinski
01-27-2013, 9:48 PM
I tried the bucket buddies at work at the Asphalt plant and one problem I had with them was that it was hard to find the right size pocket for a lot of the stuff other then screw drivers but the biggest problem was that it is a bucket. We would get in a hurry and get lazy pretty soon we would have a bucket with everything we had just thrown into it and it was worse then before!

Steve Rozmiarek
01-27-2013, 10:14 PM
I like the job specific totes, thinking that may work Keith. One other problem with the knack box is that you just bury the bigger stuff at the bottom I'd think. I have three circ saws all setup different, that I need periodically, and they would always be under something tangled up in everything. I have a Dewalt box sort of like that one you posted a link to, but quickly over ran it with all the supplies. If I could just work on this project one layer at a time to completion, it would help, but that's not going to happen, so everything needs a home. The totes seem to make sense. I have some furniture dollys, could set totes on them for the mobility. hmmmmm....

Steve, I use a couple bucket buddys now, can hang them off a ladder and have the stuff for part of the project that I'm working on now in them. A bucket for wiring, one for siding etc. Going to keep using them, but also need a way to stash all the bigger stuff.

Ray Newman
01-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Would this work: http://www.woodstore.net/motoca.html

It is 24" X 24" X 66" and is mounted on heavy duty casters for maneuverability.

One or two for tools, another for hardware?

Steve Rozmiarek
01-28-2013, 9:59 AM
Ray, it would, and that is a clever idea. I can't use my woodshop to build it until the staging area issue is cleared up. Kind of catch 22.

keith micinski
01-28-2013, 3:42 PM
I have been mulling over building a job site tool box that fits my specific needs and can be loaded and unloaded by two people out of the back of a truck for my flip homes since I am usually there for a few months at a time. I wonder how heavy that bad boy would be loaded up with tools

Steve Rozmiarek
01-28-2013, 8:50 PM
Well Keith, if you collect tools at a jobsite like i do, it would be heavy...maybe better build two!

I came up with a temp solution. I had a stack of old 1'x2'x10" deep drawers from the farm shop that I set on two pallets. It gives me 20 boxes to fill, and I can move them around with the pallet jack. I have something in all the boxes and a pile more stuff to "file", but it's a start.

Jim Andrew
01-28-2013, 9:57 PM
A guy can't seem to have too many shelves. I have a shelf where I stack drill bits and sanding belts and other new stuff. And then another shelf for used drill bits and tips and drills and such close to my bench. also have shelves for the hand held power tools I use at the bench. But never enough shelves. Unless you just quit buying more stuff.