PDA

View Full Version : Is this motor fried beyond repair?

Dan Friedrichs
01-27-2013, 7:50 PM
I have a two-speed, 240V induction motor (from a hot tub) that has been starting intermittently - works fine sometimes, other times it just hums until the overcurrent/temp shuts it down. I replaced both the start and run capacitors, with no obvious improvement. I pulled the end off and checked the centrifugal switch - seems to be fine, but I cleaned the contacts, anyways. Tested it on the bench, and all appears well - I can hear the centrifugal switch opening and closing. But in the course of checking it over, I saw some windings that appear to have darker enamel than the others - have these burned? Or is it just typical variation? Beyond a burned open winding, I can't think of any other reason the motor would be intermittent (given that the centrifugal switch and caps are good).

Brian Elfert
01-27-2013, 9:07 PM
Most cities of any size have shops that rebuild electric motors. I had a treadmill motor rebuilt for about $200 a year or two back. It may or may not be cheaper to rebuild than to just get a new motor.

MY treadmill is a very expensive commercial grade treadmill so it was worth the $200. I wouldn't have spent $200 on a treadmill that cost less than $500.

M Toupin
01-27-2013, 9:43 PM
Since the binding and plastic warping on the windings doesn't appear charred I'd say it's normal. The intermittent sounds like a centrifugal switch problem. Sometimes they get a small piece of grit or crud in there, sounds like you probably cleaned it out and it's fixed now. Put it back in and try it, what do you have to loose?

Mike

Jerry Bruette
01-28-2013, 8:13 PM
Is it possible that you have pump problems and not motor problems? How's the pump impellor look, anything blocking the inlet or outlet of the pump?

Jerry

Dan Friedrichs
01-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Well, hopefully cleaning the centrifugal switching contacts is all that it took - I disassembled it, cleaned it, and put it back in (no obvious problems with the pump end either - works fine if/when the motor starts). It appears to be working, but I guess I'll have to give it some more time to see if it even fails to start, again. Thanks, guys!