PDA

View Full Version : Golden Rain Tree & Japanese maple

Gene Hintze
01-27-2013, 7:34 PM
I posted a Craigslist ad today asking for maple, walnut, cherry & sycamore because I am flat out of wood to rough turn. Got a phone call from a nice lady named Ruthie this evening offering a Golden Rain Tree and a 50 year old Japanese Maple. Just guessing here but I can't imagine that Japanese Maple is too much different than the good old soft maple we are used to turning. Does anyone have any experience turning Japanese Maple or Golden Rain Tree? I'm going to give it a shot just to see what happens but if anyone has any experience that will inform the process I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Thom Sturgill
01-27-2013, 9:11 PM
Golden rain tree is very pretty, fairly soft and golden in color if turned green. Spalts fairly easily (at least down here in florida)

Nate Davey
01-27-2013, 9:42 PM
If you feel like making the trip down to Southern Pines, I have a buddy who owns a lay down yard with some spectacular wood. Like this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?195782-Ambrosia-Maple-Platter) piece!

Donny Lawson
01-30-2013, 5:54 PM
I posted a Craigslist ad today asking for maple, walnut, cherry & sycamore because I am flat out of wood to rough turn. Got a phone call from a nice lady named Ruthie this evening offering a Golden Rain Tree and a 50 year old Japanese Maple. Just guessing here but I can't imagine that Japanese Maple is too much different than the good old soft maple we are used to turning. Does anyone have any experience turning Japanese Maple or Golden Rain Tree? I'm going to give it a shot just to see what happens but if anyone has any experience that will inform the process I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your insight.

If you are willing to swing by NW Georgia sometime I can load you up with wood. A truck load would not put a dent in my wood pile. I hate to see anyone run out of turning material.