PDA

View Full Version : Paint Application Help Desperately Needed

Tom Hurlebaus
05-01-2005, 6:37 PM
I could really use some help from the members regarding the finishing of a current project.

My daughter and I are working on some wall hanging shadow boxes and a number of wall mounted tea light holders. She provided the design ideas and together we constructed everything from 1x4 pine.

Based on her desire to have everything painted, we were able to perfect everything with wood filler and everything was thoroughly sanded. I’ve been a fan of Sherwin Williams paint, so I picked up a quart of Latex Sealer (ProBlock) and a quart of Latex Satin Black (both recommended, based on my description of the project, by the store clerk).

I was a little surprised at the thickness of the sealer, having used some thinner water consistency primers in the past, but dealt with it my performing some light sanding in spots where it seemed to collect. We used good 1in. latex brushes and after this primer coat had dried, we caught a couple of imperfections we missed with wood filler, sanded lightly and applied a second coat of primer. This second coat of primer went on terrible and also required some minor sanding.

After a couple of days, we applied our first coat of black latex top coat and, maybe I was trying to spread it a little thin to limit the problem we had with the primer, but the brushes seemed to be dragging. Adding more paint gave us a better brush flow, but with all the corners, interior half shelves and face rim, it was difficult to maintain an even coat. We kept on having to brush out spots in an attempt to maintain an even coat. The paint can indicated a “dry to touch” in an hour, but every time we brushed into a previously painted area (to remove or smooth paint buildup), the brush would drag and leave deep brush marks.

After some light sanding to remove some bad spots from this first top-coat, we applied the second coat and experience the exact same problems. I concluded that it had to be the paint, it shouldn’t go on like this and it should be self leveling (trying to look like I knew what I was doing in front of my daughter). I took the paint back to Sherwin Williams and they exchanged it with a new quart, but this time latex enamel. They also suggested that I use a wider brush, so I picked up a good 2 ½ in. brush.

We lightly sanded (320) everything and put on our first coat of latex enamel yesterday (3rd top coat). This enamel application was more difficult than the original and currently looks worse than the original paint, still had the same problems.

I’m wondering now if I should re-sand and try one of those small rollers or maybe a paint pad. I’m not a big fan of spray painting due to it getting on everything, but it’s possible option. Is my problem complicated more by the color (Satin Black)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I’m out of ideas … thanks in advance .. Tom

John Miliunas
05-01-2005, 7:33 PM
Tom, I'm NOT a finishing expert on TV or in real life, but here goes anyway. Two things I'd consider doing. First and foremost, grab some of the same material scrap and mess around on that. Duplicte your original applications to the point of where you're at now on the current pieces. Theoretically, you should experience the same problems. Once prepped the same, you should be at the same base line. Then, I would try to thin a bit of the paint with whatever is recommended. That may help the flow and allow it to level itself. While you're at it, I may try another test piece with just the sealer but, this time, after it cures up, try sanding it real, real smooth and applying on top of it. It almost sounds like that may have been your original culprit, because I don't believe it should go on thick. Well, at least, I've never encountered sealers that are thick!:cool:

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 9:01 PM
Since this is latex paint, try a little Flotrol in it to thin it slightly and help it flow out. And don't over-brush it...load your brush appropriately and get the paint on in a smooth motion. A quick tip off and walk away.

Tom Hurlebaus
05-03-2005, 2:50 PM
John & Jim,

Thanks for the advise. I gave the Flotrol (I had never heard of it) a try last night, after thoroughly re-sanding a couple of pieces, and was amazed at the difference. The paint flowed perfectly .... now if I can break my over-brushing habit, I can get this project off my bench.

Thanks again .... Tom