PDA

View Full Version : Drum sanders

Mike Mastin
02-17-2003, 11:42 AM
I am thinking of purchasing a larger pro type sander (25" width) and the drum sanders are obviously more attractively priced than the wide belt sanders.
I understand that the wide belts allow you to run for longer periods of time due to the longer belt (less material buildup and overheating problems).
If you were using this sander for say one continuous hour at a time, would the drum sanders have problems with overheating of their head(s)? This would be used as a finish sander and not an abrasive planer :-)

Peter Lyon
02-17-2003, 11:56 AM
I've run my Performax (16/32) for up to an hour at a time without any problems. I'll admit the motor does heat up but I suspect that can also occur in a relatively shorter amount of time too depending upon the amount of work you're asking the machine to do.

The lesson I've learned at the expensive of a few burned belts (too hard headed to listen to the many warnings posted over the years!) is to keep each pass light --- and I mean light. You can take up to a quarter turn per pass but I find it works better taking no more then an 1/8th (1/128") of a turn.

I would say, if you can afford it, then by all means, purchase a wide belt type unit. I have no doubt that they aren't superior.

Kyri
02-17-2003, 12:43 PM
I've used both and I like belt sanders better. Having said that I doubt I will ever be able to justify the cost of a belt sander. I agree with Peter about the Performax. Mine does a good job but you can't take very much off in a single pass. By one hour, do you mean one hour every day or one hour once a in a while. A belt is the better design but belt sanders cost a lot more than drum sanders. Either will work for you but if you are planning to use it a lot the belt sander's cost could be less of an issue.

Hovey

Ray Thompson
02-17-2003, 1:44 PM
I have the big Woodmaster and couldn't be happier. I have not used a large belt sander, but then I don't have a large commercial shop either. The Woodmaster has been run for an hour or more on numerous occasions without a problem.

Ray

Jerry Todd
02-17-2003, 2:49 PM
Ray,
Which Woodmaster Drum Sander do you have? I am in the market for one and am looking at the Woodmaster 2675, Grizzly G1066Z, and the Peformax ShopPro 25.
Thanks,
Jerry

Rod Dilyard
02-17-2003, 4:56 PM
I bought a dual drum unit just after Christmas and have been quite pleased with its perfomance and so far it seems like quite a bargain - well made and plenty of power.

According to Greg Leneave at Leneave Machinery it's the same Taiwanese import that General International sells but Leneave sells it with a 5HP motor instead of 3HP. I had a chance to see the General unit in person and other than the motor and color the biggest difference is the base. The General's base is a little cleaner in it's design and seems to have a larger footprint.

Rod Dilyard
02-17-2003, 4:58 PM
Here's another picture showing some of the innards.

Mike Mastin
02-17-2003, 6:01 PM
if I might ask. It looks very similar to one that Extrema Machinery sells. Most all of these companies are importing Taiwanese machinery and upgrading motors, electonics, etc. Just curious if you would not mind sharing. Email me if you would prefer.

Thanks.

Ray Thompson
02-17-2003, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Todd
Ray,
Which Woodmaster Drum Sander do you have? I am in the market for one and am looking at the Woodmaster 2675, Grizzly G1066Z, and the Peformax ShopPro 25.
Thanks,
Jerry

I have the 38" I don't remember the model number. I thought about trading down for a smaller one but after using it for a while, no chance. I have made some 34" table tops and it sure is nice to just run it through the sander.

Ray

Jim Tobias
02-17-2003, 11:18 PM
I bought the Woodmaster 38" a few years back and have never regretted it. It is easy to use, set up and change paper. I have not had any problems with overheating, but I rarely run for more than an hour at a time.

Paul Kunkel
02-19-2003, 8:02 PM
:) I've been using this one hard for almost 2 yrs. The bigest fault with a dual drum is loading of the fine paper ans they spin so fast. I limit cuts to abt a 128th and never use finer than 100 grit on the second drum-60 on the front:(

J.R. Rutter
02-19-2003, 11:36 PM
I've been using the 22-44 hard for about a year and a half, mostly to flatten glued up panels. I've run it for 3-4 hours at a time with no overheating of the drum. The motor does better after rewiring for 240v, just had to keep the conveyor motor @ 120v. But it still seems underpowered. In hindsight, the ShopPro 25 might have been a better choice. Nice to be able to take a double pass for wide stuff though. I've used a couple of wide belts, and the Halsty did better than a similar import.

-JR

Rob Sandow
02-20-2003, 9:55 AM
I think 1 hour at a time is fine for a drum sander. I ran my Performax 22/44 for that long last weekend with no problems.

Rob

Herb Blair
02-26-2003, 7:54 AM
I'm thinking about buying a Performax 16-32 Drum Sander for the shop. Does anyone have any specific complaints about Performax?

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-26-2003, 8:25 AM
I've had the 16/32 for a couple years now. It works okay. I've not had any motor isues. The only thing that I'll 'complain' about is that having one will spoil you...I put practically everything that'll fit through it. A bigger belt sander would be more appropriate and quicker for my use.

KC

Ian Barley
02-26-2003, 8:09 PM
I have a 25" unit similar to the one shown above - UK supplier which wouldn't mean musch to most of you but Taiwanese origin.

I use it commercially (adirondack chairs) and my observations would be.

1 - Cut a template and cut your own loadings from an roll of abrasive paper. I use a heavy paper grade because I find that the grit goes a long time before the backing. My supplier over here charges £14 ($22) for a single loading - cutting my own they cost meabout £2.50 ($3.75).

2 - You really are talking about very light passes 1/8th of a handle turn is about right. I use oily timbers like Iroko and Tatajuba and any more than this creates burning on the loadings, ruining the pass.

3 - Dust extraction is vital. If you are not clearing all the dust away burning is inevitable.

4 - Despite what the above points might look loke - I love this tool. It saves me time and improves the quality of what I produce. You just have to know it's limitations.

If I hade the space and appropriate power source (three phase) I would be looking to upgrade to a belt sander to try and deal with the above issues.