You can hear it click in, like it does when it starts
dead or dying?
capacitor?

time for a new one?

Thanks
Phil

Myk Rian
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
If it starts, the cap is good. Might be a shorted run winding.

phil harold
01-27-2013, 12:21 PM
If it starts, the cap is good. Might be a shorted run winding.
Toast then?

maybe time to upgrade to 3/4hp? or 1hp

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G2530-Motor-Single-Phase-1725/dp/B0000DD15I/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G2532-Motor-Single-Phase-1725/dp/B0000DD15K/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1359307153&sr=1-2&keywords=1+HP+Single-Phase+1725+RPM+TEFC+110V%2F220V
unless someone else know of a good inexpensive source

Bryan Cramer
01-27-2013, 7:56 PM
HF has a motor like this. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=electric+motor Adda 20% coupon and it is $80.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2013, 8:22 PM
It might be worth checking the centrifugal switch if it has one to disengage the starting capacitor. If the switch is dropping out, it might be putting the starting capacitor back into the circuit.

phil harold
01-28-2013, 1:38 PM
It might be worth checking the centrifugal switch if it has one to disengage the starting capacitor. If the switch is dropping out, it might be putting the starting capacitor back into the circuit.

how do i check this?

this motor I can not find any info on it, is pre 74 motor

thanks

phil harold
01-28-2013, 1:39 PM
HF has a motor like this. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=electric+motor Adda 20% coupon and it is $80.

that is one option
I am thinking if I have to buy I might as well get a higher HP just because
the bigger the better!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-28-2013, 2:03 PM
Phil,

Obviously all this is done with the drill press unplugged!

Most motors have cap over one end that can be removed. Under this cap will be the centrifugal switch that looks very similar to the old points in the distributor of classic cars. This switch has a set of contacts on it. The contacts should be flat and can be burnished like the centrifugal advance on classic car ignitions.

The centrifugal switch must be able to move and not hang up in the process. They function to put the starting capacitor (cap) or starting winding in the circuit when the motor is shut off. Then when the motor is turned back on, once it reaches approximately 75% of it's normal speed, the starting cap is removed from the circuit by the contacts on the centrifugal switch opening.

John McClanahan
01-28-2013, 4:50 PM
If you replace the motor, be sure the new one has the same size shaft, or your pulley won't fit. A more powerful motor could have a bigger shaft.

John

Charles Lent
01-29-2013, 1:11 PM
Before you go to replacing the motor you should check the bearings, pulleys, and belts to be sure that something isn't dragging. Remove the belt and see if the motor turns free without turning the rest of the drill press. Check the drill press arbor by hand to see if it turns free. If your drill press has 2 belts and an idler pulley, be sure that it also turns free. If all checks out OK, are you trying to run at too high of a speed for what you are doing? The higher you run the chuck speed the less torque you will have. If you really need to go that fast and under those loads it may be time to not only upgrade the motor, but the whole drill press.

Charley

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2013, 1:39 PM
Charley.....Thanks! Slap my face! An increase in mechanical load due to a bad bearing could slow the motor down and cause the centrifugal switch to come back into play! It could be bearings in the motor or in the pulleys or the arbor!

A dry bearing heating up and then slowing down would do it!

Excellent thoughts!

Rich Riddle
01-29-2013, 1:51 PM
I cannot post eBay links here, but there are several new/rebuilt American motors with the correct frame priced less than the Grizzly ones posted here.

phil harold
01-30-2013, 12:05 AM
South Bend Drill Press cira 1962
only a four step pulley and lately I have only been able to use it on the lowest speed
And that got worse I could not could not handle a 5/8th fostner bit
Temporarily replaced with a 1/3 horse smaller shaft so only has a single pulley
After truing the pulley with a file while running she is working. Has more power with the 1/3hp then i ever remember with the 1/2 hp
I might get to the old motor apart this weekend, but maybe not...

I like the idea of a TEFC motor it is in a dusty wood shop

I cannot post eBay links here, but there are several new/rebuilt American motors with the correct frame priced less than the Grizzly ones posted here.
Rich you can post the auction item number from ebay
;o)

thanks