PDA

View Full Version : Router on Leigh Super FMT

Carl Lavigne
01-26-2013, 11:59 PM
I just purchased a Leigh Super FMT, which I haven't received yet. I'm trying to determine which router to use on the jig. I have several Porter Cable 690 and 890 series routers, as well as Hitachi, Bosch, and Dewalt routers, I'm considering. Leigh's website states the PC 690 must be mounted to the sub base versus using the fence rods through the base. So, my question to the FMT users is which method is best? I have plenty of plunge routers where I can dedicate one to the jig, but I prefer to use the best mounting method.

Would appreciate any suggestions, recommendations and feedback.

Mike Heidrick
01-27-2013, 3:00 AM
I used the rods on a Bosch and it worked perfect and never moved on me. You will be fine with whatever you choose. Id go with a smooth action plunge model I owned the least accessories for.

Glenn Samuels
01-27-2013, 8:28 AM
I also have the FMT and had poor results with the rods. I finally ordered a PC plunge router (not sure of the model number as I am not at home) that I could screw in to the base. It made all the difference in the world and it worked fantastically from that day on. Just my 2 cents.

Phil Hansen
01-27-2013, 10:25 AM
I have a DW625 mounted on rails. Has been permanently mounted for 6-7 years. No problems.

Michael Heffernan
01-27-2013, 11:01 AM
I have a Bosch 1617EVS plunge base mounted with the rods to my FMT Pro. No issues after 4 years and I use it quite often. Once centered on the opening in the plate, it works flawlessly. I imagine that the Super FMT has the same mounting layout as the Pro version.

Charles Lent
01-27-2013, 11:13 AM
I have the FMT Pro and use a DeWalt 618 plunge brouter with it, mounted by screws. I tried the rods with another router, and although it worked out fine, I prefer the direct mounting with screws. Whatever router you use, you will be happier with a lighter router if you have many joints to cut. Lifting a heavy router on and off the jig will give you a significant workout if you do it all day. Most any 1/2" plunge router will work OK if it has precise plunge capability and an accurate depth stop.

Charley

Carl Lavigne
01-27-2013, 9:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like there isn't an advantage of one method over the other. I was leaning towards permanently mounting the plunge base from either my Dewalt 618 or my PC 893.