PDA

View Full Version : Very much appreciate some advice on floating the Mississippi

Brian Ashton
01-25-2013, 10:19 PM
One of my bucket list items for 50 is to float the Mississippi from the head waters to the delta... I've read a few books on it but most are coming from a story telling point of view or kayaking... whereas I'm wanting to know about the nuts and bolts of such an venture in a more substantial boat. Can any of you offer up some tidbits of knowledge and such they have surrounding the river and traveling along it. Couple questions to start, are there any sections of river where small water craft are banned. And is there licensing I need to look at in different states.

My initial plans are to use a pontoon boat with a few modifications, hopefully keeping it around 20 or so feet... It will be kitted with two outboards: the main for really booking it down the river or back up and a 15ph for backup and manoeuvring when drifting. For food prep and storage a propane fridge and stove. I'm guessing but I don't think I need a large food storage area as civilisation will never be far away. Land transport will consist of bicycles.

My wife wants to name it 50 shades of gray as a celebration of my hair color and my age.

Or! the other option is to buy a stupidly big jet ski and see how fast I can get down it without dying along the way.

Please if you have anything you can offer as food for thought don't hesitate.

Mike Henderson
01-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Well, the source of the Mississippi is Lake Itasca in Minnesota and you're not going to float much of a boat at that location. It's just a small stream leaving Lake Itasca. Maybe further downstream after some other rivers or streams enter the Mississippi you could float a boat. Also, there are a number of dams and locks on the upper Mississippi (see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locks_and_dams_of_the_Upper_Mississippi_Ri ver)) where you may, or may not, be able to traverse in a boat (without taking the boat out of the river).

Once you get down to the lower Mississippi, there's lots of ship and barge traffic so it's a bit dangerous. Also, in high water currents are strong and dangerous. You don't want to get overboard in the lower Mississippi.

And once you get below New Orleans, there's not a lot on the banks of the Mississippi, getting less and less as you go downstream so think about how you're going to get back to civilization after you reach the mouth.

I grew up on the lower Mississippi, in Louisiana.

Mike

[Just a comment about large ships in the Mississippi. The ships move a lot of water with their propellers, especially when going up river. Where the river is narrow, you'll see the water on the banks recede quite a bit as the ship passes. What this means is that there's a strong current of water being sucked towards the ship, so you don't want to get close to a ship or even a tug pushing a bunch of barges up river. You may find that the current pulling you towards the ship is greater than you can overcome.
I was on a boat, about 70 feet long (an oil rig supply boat, called a mud boat), and we were tied up to a dock on the lower river (below New Orleans). A big oil tanker was going up river. We were tied front and back with some big hawsers. That oil tanker pulled us off the dock - broke the hawsers. Once it started pulling, nobody was going to get close to the hawsers because we knew they would break and pop back. Made me really appreciate the power of those ships.]

Brian Ashton
01-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Thx for that. I had an idea the upper river was a bit shallow and narrow so we'll be flexible on where we start. I was planning to kit the boat out with an engine capable of getting it back up stream easily if needed. I'm also going to look for a boat that can be pulled out and put on the back of a crane truck if possible - that way I can traverse any tight spots. At least that's the idea.

Joe Angrisani
01-26-2013, 5:26 AM
If you're not married to the Mississippi idea, consider the Tenn-Tom Waterway as a route to the ocean. Runs from Paducah, KY to Mobile, AL, and avoids the heavy commercial ship traffic of the Mississippi.

http://tenntom.org/

Also, Google "Great Loop Mississippi" if you haven't already. Lots of travel diaries of all sorts.

Brian Elfert
01-26-2013, 8:57 AM
Realistically with a power boat you wouldn't want to start much north of Minneapolis. There is a lock and dam in Minneapolis, but about 10 to 15 miles north of Minneapolis is the Coon Rapids dam that has no lock. You would have to pull a power boat out and trailer it to navigate around the dam. There has been talk about closing the lock in Minneapolis due to invasive species, but it probably won't happen real soon.

Matt Marsh
01-26-2013, 9:19 AM
Brian,

I live about 10 miles from Itasca State Park where the Mississippi river headwaters are. Lived in this area for all but around 5 of my 55 years, and have canoed and duck hunted a lot of the river between Itasca and Lake Bemidji (the northernmost point of the river) in my younger years. This stretch of river is going to involve a lot of portaging, some areas literally being ankle deep and narrow enough to jump across. There was a group of adventurous guys that did the exact trip you speak of, just a couple summers ago. They did an awesome job of video recording the highlights of their trip. If you haven't seen them yet, they're well worth a look! If I remember correctly, there is something like 25 episodes. Here is a link to the 1st. Have an awesome adventure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldg6Sru0ddg

Andrew Joiner
01-26-2013, 11:48 AM
I grew up in Minnesota and spent time fishing and camping on the Mississippi. When I was 12 years old my Dad and I went from St. Paul to Iowa in a 14' aluminum boat. We camped along the shore and slept in " jungle hammocks".

One night we got to shore after dark and hastily set up our covered hammocks. I could not sleep! For some reason bright lights kept shining in my eyes. I tossed and turned all night. The next morning my Dad said he had the same lights in his eyes. My Dad looked up and laughed. We had hung our hammocks from the posts that hold up the channel markers. Every barge that came by looked for those with there spotlights. My Dad laughed even louder when he said '' They probably saw the channel marker, then focused the light even more on us saying ' what's that hanging there?'

My limited experience says:
1- Be ready for lots of mosquitoes and biting flies. Nets and bug spray make it bearable.
2- Read up in detail on each area. Contact the experts in each area of the country and ask questions. Fishing guides may be a source of valuable info.

The mosquitoes and biting flies can make it rough even if your prepared. You might look up another mighty river, the Columbia. Minimal bugs and more beautiful than the Mississippi in many ways. I've slept next to the river in the Columbia Gorge many times with no netting or bug repellent.

Rick Potter
01-26-2013, 12:13 PM
I would suggest you contact the Army Corps of Engineers, who maintain the waterway. They may have info for you.

Rick Potter

Ruperto Mendiones
01-26-2013, 1:45 PM
You might consider some form of powered cycle or scooter. Distances to "civilization" may be more than you want to cycle.

Ruperto

Brian Brightwell
01-26-2013, 2:08 PM
To me this would be a more enjoy able trip.

Stephen Cherry
01-26-2013, 2:23 PM
I don't know anything about the Mississippi, but I do have plenty of experience of small boats around ships and barges. I've lived all my life around the Chesapeake bay, and there are plenty of ships rolling up and down the bay. They are really nothing to worry about if you take caution; you need to stay out of their way. First of all, they move a lot faster than you might think, and as the water shallows, they throw up powerful wakes. If you get in their way they cannot slow down of maneuver to avoid. The channel gives them only a small lane to drive through.

I don't know that I have ever seen a pontoon boat in the main chanel of the bay (where the ships are), and I don't know if they have the reserve boyancy to deal with a huge ship wake. My impression is that a 18-20' aluminum boat (maybe a Lund, but others are good as well), would be safe enough, fast enough, and roomy enough. I've had a 13' boston whaler for a long time, and in the past I had it set up for a little tent with an air mattress. It may seem impossible, but it was very comfortable.

Maybe not as romantic, but the Chasapeake would offer a big area for exploration, with plenty of towns to explore, and it's a pretty forgiving body of water. Wide enough the the ships have their space and leave room for others.

Ed Aumiller
01-26-2013, 8:11 PM
Had a 21' Inboard/Outboard on the Mississippi about 40 miles north of St Louis.. the wake from an idiot in a 40-45' vessel almost capsized me...he deliberately came along side me at about 15 knots or so...
If you are serious about it... get something capable of heavy wakes and PLENTY of power to get out of trouble...
There are a lot of locks on the Mississippi....
There is a series of books put out on the river, think by the Corps of Engineers, that gives you the info you will need to navigate it..
They cover it in sections and in my opinion a must have.... do not remember formal name/terminology for them...

Jim Laumann
01-28-2013, 1:42 PM
Realistically with a power boat you wouldn't want to start much north of Minneapolis. There is a lock and dam in Minneapolis, but about 10 to 15 miles north of Minneapolis is the Coon Rapids dam that has no lock. You would have to pull a power boat out and trailer it to navigate around the dam. There has been talk about closing the lock in Minneapolis due to invasive species, but it probably won't happen real soon.

There is also the dam in St Cloud, one in Little Falls, and I believe there is one N of Little Falls, possibly 2. So of St Cloud, the channel is very rocky - and the depth of the channel can go from 10-15' to nothing in a very short stretch. I've floated that stretch by canoe and had my aluminum boat out there - it can be hell on a motor's lower unit.

Also - The Missy can be very ugly at high water - even that far north.

Jim

Brian Ashton
02-03-2013, 4:08 AM
I don't know anything about the Mississippi, but I do have plenty of experience of small boats around ships and barges. I've lived all my life around the Chesapeake bay, and there are plenty of ships rolling up and down the bay. They are really nothing to worry about if you take caution; you need to stay out of their way. First of all, they move a lot faster than you might think, and as the water shallows, they throw up powerful wakes. If you get in their way they cannot slow down of maneuver to avoid. The channel gives them only a small lane to drive through.

I don't know that I have ever seen a pontoon boat in the main chanel of the bay (where the ships are), and I don't know if they have the reserve boyancy to deal with a huge ship wake. My impression is that a 18-20' aluminum boat (maybe a Lund, but others are good as well), would be safe enough, fast enough, and roomy enough. I've had a 13' boston whaler for a long time, and in the past I had it set up for a little tent with an air mattress. It may seem impossible, but it was very comfortable.

Maybe not as romantic, but the Chasapeake would offer a big area for exploration, with plenty of towns to explore, and it's a pretty forgiving body of water. Wide enough the the ships have their space and leave room for others.

Thx for the the food for thought. I was at first thinking of a pontoon boat because of the platform style where it would be easy to set up for living and sleeping but... More research need I suspect.

Ted Calver
02-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Interesting spot on CBS Sunday today about this guy:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57567256/sentimental-journey-canadian-canoes-to-new-orleans-to-honor-uncle/

Ben Hatcher
02-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Thx for the the food for thought. I was at first thinking of a pontoon boat because of the platform style where it would be easy to set up for living and sleeping but... More research need I suspect.

Have you considered a houseboat? You might be able to buy one upriver and sell it in New Orleans. One popular boat reselling site in the US is boattrader.com.

David Warkentin
02-06-2013, 3:41 PM
If you end up coming down the Tenn Tom stop and see me.

Brian Ashton
02-07-2013, 7:47 AM
Have you considered a houseboat? You might be able to buy one upriver and sell it in New Orleans. One popular boat reselling site in the US is boattrader.com.

No I haven't but it's now something I'll investigate. Will have to see how they fair against large wakes from the barge and ship traffic

Brian Ashton
02-07-2013, 8:01 AM
If you're not married to the Mississippi idea, consider the Tenn-Tom Waterway as a route to the ocean. Runs from Paducah, KY to Mobile, AL, and avoids the heavy commercial ship traffic of the Mississippi.

http://tenntom.org/

Also, Google "Great Loop Mississippi" if you haven't already. Lots of travel diaries of all sorts.

thx for that. have been doing a bit of reading on it and it sounds pretty good