PDA

View Full Version : Which compressor?

Todd Davidson
05-01-2005, 4:03 PM
The Borg closes at 7:00pm est. I have a 10% coupon, a $100 gift card that I got from my little btother today for my b'day, and HD has a mail in rebate on compressors...so....which one do y'all recommend for HVLP use (something Kim and I are entertaining the thought of trying our luck with) or just recommend in general? Thanks!

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 5:21 PM
Bigger is better...the tank size is everything for demanding applications. If you can afford the 60 gallon is going to make you happier in the long run than the smaller units. But if you can't the 30 gallon unit will work fine.

Todd Davidson
05-01-2005, 5:54 PM
Thanks Jim,

HD sells a few different 30 to 35 gallon compressors. Guess I'll go for the largest in that range that isn't oil-less. It'll initially see use framing new shop/basement walls and then, until an HVLP finds its way into the budget, for small pneumatic guns and clean up. Was hoping someone had a particular model from the borg that they were particularly happy with. I believe some of the Husky compressors are made by Ingersol Rand. Have had good luck with their contractor size models for carpentry.

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 6:39 PM
I believe some of the Husky compressors are made by Ingersol Rand.

My understanding is that the Husky compressors are made by CH.

Todd Davidson
05-01-2005, 8:08 PM
Jim, you're correct - Husky compressors are made by CH. The 25 gallon, oil fed compressor that I was just at my local HD to check out was out of stock. The manager said he'd honor my 10% coupon when they come in - which should be before the rebate expires. Do you have any idea how this will compare to the 2 stage, 30 gallon that Craftsman makes (which is what I initially had my eye on)?

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 8:12 PM
Do you have any idea how this will compare to the 2 stage, 30 gallon that Craftsman makes (which is what I initially had my eye on)?

Nope...other than buying a few Bessey K-Bodies at Sears a couple years ago for nearly bubkus during a "Bessey-orgie", I haven't been in their stores. Do be sure it really is "2-stage", too...that's usually something you find on VERY expensive compressors, not pro-sumer models.