PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting Ebay sale on those knockoff Lie Nielsen planes

William Ney
01-25-2013, 4:17 PM
[B][B]Looking around on Ebay and noticed what appeared to be a Woodriver (Lie Nielsen knockoff planes made by CIXI city Qiangsheng tool co) No 6 fore plane for $26 including free expedited shipping. I've not really been interested in the Woodriver Planes as they are just a bit too much to pay for a Chinese knockoff (and I realize they have received favorable reviews) honestly more of an ideological issue rather than a logical one..although I doubt they will hold their value like a LN will, and does. Anyhow, Qiangsheng has been selling these planes under numerous names, Woodrvier (US), Juuma (Germany), Dictum (Britain).
Well, Could not help myself and ordered the #6 and #3; 14$ and 26$ respectively. So 40$ dollars all in, which includes shipping...I don't know, pictures and description are pretty much dead-ringers for the Woodriver improved V3 series. I guess I'll just wait and see what actually comes in the mail. Anyone else encounter these? Here is a link to the Ebay store where I found them. I have nothing to do with this store, and know nothing about these planes beyond what I could rustle up in a few minutes through Google. I'm certainly not advocating purchasing them, just curious.

ebay item 321055153207

David Weaver
01-25-2013, 4:22 PM
YOu tell us when you get them. They're claimed to be shipped priority in a medium flat rate box. They're longer than a medium flat rate box, so you'll have to tell us if you actually get anything.

William Ney
01-25-2013, 4:30 PM
haha nice did not catch that, yeah, I have no Idea what to expect, perhaps they will bend it a little to fit in the box......

Joe Angrisani
01-25-2013, 5:57 PM
YOu tell us when you get them. They're claimed to be shipped priority in a medium flat rate box. They're longer than a medium flat rate box, so you'll have to tell us if you actually get anything.

There's more than one Medium box. Positive, Dave....Positive. :)

David Weaver
01-25-2013, 8:17 PM
Yeah, if it's 6 size, it won't fit in either of the medium boxes - just checked a stanley 6 against both. I'm a big medium flat rate box fan. Big big fan, I guess.

Interesting idea, though, if a seller does start selling them direct over here, that'd be good. God knows the unit cost of them is probably next to nothing. Even if they do a crappy packing job, they're cast steel, nothing will happen to the metal parts.

I'd bet it would fit in a small USPS tube though.

Brian Elfert
01-25-2013, 8:26 PM
The seller's shipping choices are a little strange. Free Priority Mail or you pay $14 for slower Parcel Post or $18 for UPS Ground. I highly doubt this guy is gong to rip anyone off just because the shipping description describes a certain flat rate Priority Mail box. The seller has lots of sales and a good rating.

David Weaver
01-25-2013, 8:31 PM
Give it a rip. The people who bought the 9 that have sold so far have left positive feedback, at least the ones who bought long enough ago to have gotten it.

Dave Lehnert
01-26-2013, 2:40 PM
Keep us up to date.
Could one make a scrub plane out of the #3?

William Ney
01-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Well I got them in the mail today and simply could not be any happier. The packaging was superb, the solid bubinga knob and tote are beautiful, brass fittings, squared bedrock sides, all in all just a great experience. I have tried to share this wonderful experience with the seller but he has yet to respond to my message. Anyhow, for your viewing pleasure.Perhaps the most striking feature was the proud 'China' stamp on the iron-cap, nice to see them celebrating this finally. 252902252903252904252905252906252907 If for some reason these picture don't load, please do not purchase these planes they are JUNK.

Rick Moyer
01-31-2013, 4:35 AM
It took me a while before I realized you were being sarcastic. You may want to use some modicons for effect. Granted it was 4:30 am when I read this. Maybe the "Chinese" were too proud to put they're country on it so they stamped it "India"?:o

David Weaver
01-31-2013, 7:57 AM
That's not the quangsheng planes. If you get functional planes out if it, that's fine, but the indian copies are not nearly as good as the quangsheng planes. I'd notify the seller he needs to change his listing, or there are going to be some really angry customers.

Joe Angrisani
01-31-2013, 8:53 AM
I have e-mailed the Seller asking about the India-China thing. Will keep you posted.

Myk Rian
01-31-2013, 9:54 AM
Those got good reviews? Really?
The castings look like c**p. Handle finishing is no better.

William Ney
01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
sorry if my post was confusing, honestly these planes are in very very poor shape. They shipped the no6 and no3 together in one box without any additional protection to the planes inside the box. the no6 might be turned into a user but it will require a LOT of sole lapping. this guy is warped badly. They are quite honestly the worst new planes I have encountered. Although I must admit that I stick to Emmerich and Ulmia for all my bench planes, so not extremely knoweldgeable on metal planes. My rebate planes are metal, Clifton, and they are a delight to use, talk about tight. I don't think you will have any luck with communicating with the seller.....
-Will

Augusto Orosco
01-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Well I got them in the mail today and simply could not be any happier. The packaging was superb, the solid bubinga knob and tote are beautiful, brass fittings, squared bedrock sides, all in all just a great experience. I have tried to share this wonderful experience with the seller but he has yet to respond to my message. Anyhow, for your viewing pleasure.Perhaps the most striking feature was the proud 'China' stamp on the iron-cap, nice to see them celebrating this finally. 252902
If for some reason these picture don't load, please do not purchase these planes they are JUNK.

Well, at least the seller wasn't lying about using a medium box :eek: Sorry you ended up with such ugly paperweights!

David Weaver
01-31-2013, 11:24 AM
William - we didn't know yet that you were tugging our leg. You never know who on these boards comes by and is happy about something for reasons that aren't disclosed.

But we catch your drift now. I thought it was too good to be true. I'd imagine heads would roll if quangsheng planes were available over here all of the sudden, and without going through woodcraft to get them.

David Weaver
01-31-2013, 11:25 AM
There's more than one Medium box. Positive, Dave....Positive. :)

I almost forgot Joe, you're right, he did fit it in a medium box. We forgot about the third size of flat rate box "medium with hole in the end". :)

Don Morris
01-31-2013, 1:13 PM
Sell them on Ebay for double the price as is. Who knows?

Joe Angrisani
01-31-2013, 1:38 PM
....I don't think you will have any luck with communicating with the seller.....

I wrote them the following:

A friend ordered one and it arrived clearly marked that it was made in India. The quality, fit and finish of the India planes is clearly much lower than the Chinese planes in your photos. Can you ship planes made in China as stated in your eBay listing?

They wrote back:

Hello,
I apologize but a mistake was made when we restocked these planes. We currently have Indian made plane. We will be taking the listing down. We will re-list these items when they become available. Thank you for your interest in our product and please check back as we are expect the China made plane to arrive soon.
Regards,

Joe Angrisani
01-31-2013, 1:43 PM
I almost forgot Joe, you're right, he did fit it in a medium box. We forgot about the third size of flat rate box "medium with hole in the end". :)

The Diagonal Flat Rate Box?

But it did fit inside. It's a packing error that made it grow a hole. Properly packed, it would've made it.

Charles McKinley
01-31-2013, 2:17 PM
l wouldfile a grievence with Ebay and Pay Pal right away!

Sorry you got burned.

Harry Hagan
01-31-2013, 3:46 PM
l wouldfile a grievence with Ebay and Pay Pal right away!

Sorry you got burned.

Ditto on that.

If I can't talk with you on the phone about your product—you don’t get my business; and I prefer to look you in the eye as you take my money.

David Weaver
01-31-2013, 4:36 PM
The Diagonal Flat Rate Box?

But it did fit inside. It's a packing error that made it grow a hole. Properly packed, it would've made it.

Nah...I checked a 6 the other night. Not only is a 6 18 inches long, but it also has a tote that sticks up in the middle, but more importantly a knob on the front end that sticks up pretty high. There was no way I could get my 6 to fit in an empty box.

Mike Cogswell
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Is it April First already?