PDA

View Full Version : Verizon DSL users : Need help

Bob Weisner
05-01-2005, 3:05 PM
Hi:

I got the Verizon DSL hooked up last night. Took FOREVER!!! to get it running!!! I did exactly as the online instructions said to do, but it just would not work. Finally, I don't know how I did it , but I got it working. This morning, I went to turn the computer on an d the DSL would not work . Took 6 hours and a phone call to tech support( they wanted me to start unhooking this wire then that wire and so on. I finally said no , I am returning it and going to cable. They said fine, call Verizon on Monday and they will give you instructions as to how to return the DSL to them. Well, I thought I would give it ONE LAST TRY :mad: I got a five outlet phone jack and had all the filters hooked into all the outlets. I removed all of the filters except the one that is connected to the DSL modem. I don't know why, but it worked . Now the big question is: Do I turn the computer off or do I leave it on? And what about going off line? Can I get back online or was this just pure luck?

Thanks,

Bob

Tim Morton
05-01-2005, 3:39 PM
The thing about DSL and filters is that you only put filters on the phone lines you are using for phones. Not on unused lines and not on the computer line. It can be finicky to get going but once you get it going it is pretty stable. I would give it some time......

Bob Weisner
05-01-2005, 3:47 PM
I just did a bandwidth test and it said 782.1 Kbps . Is that good or bad?

Bob Nieman
05-01-2005, 4:59 PM
I just did a bandwidth test and it said 782.1 Kbps . Is that good or bad?

It depends on what you are paying for. Generally you don't get what they promise you. On a good day I get about 3/4s, on a bad day 1/2, but my interior phone lines are probably a big part of the problem. You might try the bandwith test several times, including the evening. Personally I'd be happy with it. That is about what I am supposed to be getting. Compared to dial-up I have no complaints.

Now the big question is: Do I turn the computer off or do I leave it on? And what about going off line? Can I get back online or was this just pure luck?

You should be able to get on-line any time. You might want to turn the computer off when you aren't using them if you are using a Windows based computer. Make sure you set your security high, get a firewall and decent (updated) virus/worm protection. It's a hostile world out there.

Tim Morton
05-01-2005, 6:04 PM
I just did a bandwidth test and it said 782.1 Kbps . Is that good or bad? I would be less concerned with bandwidth test results and more interested in how snappy the internet feels. I test out with verizon dsl at about 2800kbps, but in the evenings lately my dsl crawls but the speed tests don't show it. I'm OK on the weekends generally. Verizon now has 3k speeds being advertized, I recently upgraded (its free) but did not notice a change.

Bob Weisner
05-01-2005, 6:13 PM
I did another bandwidth test and it is slightly below 1.5mbps (SP?) I can['t really complaine when I compare it to the old dial up connection that was supposed to be 56kbps . More like 20 Kbps.LOL.

Now, what about the Verizon DSL with MSN premium? I did not select that I selected the one without the MSN premium. Is it any better?

Thanks,

Tim Morton
05-01-2005, 7:09 PM
I did another bandwidth test and it is slightly below 1.5mbps (SP?) I can['t really complaine when I compare it to the old dial up connection that was supposed to be 56kbps . More like 20 Kbps.LOL.

Now, what about the Verizon DSL with MSN premium? I did not select that I selected the one without the MSN premium. Is it any better?

Thanks,

MSN premium comes free and is only available for PC users..my kids think its cool, but it has nothing to do with speed. It only ties your browser and mail and aol and msn app's together...this is a guess since i have a mac and don't use my kids computers. they have a PC and use it all the time.

Tom Mullane
05-01-2005, 7:56 PM
We can't get DSL out here on the farm lanes... too far from the central office or some such garbage... but Verizon is running fiber optic on all the roads around here and we will be getting FIOS... which is Internet over Fiber Optic 15MbDownload/2MBUpload for $40/mo... cheaper than I am paying for lousy cable modem service...
We are supposed to have it by mid-summer... Verizon is also going to be offering TV over Fiber Optic to compete with cable for less money...
And if you have your phone with Verizon also you get a discount on the other services...
I can't wait... already know someone who has FIOS and loves it.. not bandwidth slow downs at night when a lot of people are online either...

Bob Weisner
05-01-2005, 8:37 PM
I tried turning the computer off and restarting it. It works fine. The only thing is, I did not turn the DSL modem off. I left it on when I turned the computer off. Can the DSL modem be turned off as well when not in use? Or, does the DSL modem have to be left on even when the computer is off? Sorry for all the questions, but I never had DSL before and it gave me a really hard time trying to get the system hooked up.

Thanks,

Jim Barrett
05-01-2005, 8:41 PM
I leave my DSL modem on all the time. There is no need to turn it off at all.

Jim

John Shuk
05-01-2005, 9:09 PM
Different bandwidth test sites give different results. I don't know of a reliable one.

Tim Morton
05-01-2005, 9:55 PM
I tried turning the computer off and restarting it. It works fine. The only thing is, I did not turn the DSL modem off. I left it on when I turned the computer off. Can the DSL modem be turned off as well when not in use? Or, does the DSL modem have to be left on even when the computer is off? Sorry for all the questions, but I never had DSL before and it gave me a really hard time trying to get the system hooked up.

Thanks,

Having a mac I haven't turned my computer off in over 10 years, so i can't answer that question...I'd leave it on if i was you.

Michael Perata
05-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Bob

You should get a hardware firewall if your DSL modem doesn't have one. I would not rely solely on a software firewall like ZoneAlarm although they will provide some protection.

Bob Nieman
05-02-2005, 12:58 AM
The only thing is, I did not turn the DSL modem off. I left it on when I turned the computer off. Can the DSL modem be turned off as well when not in use? Or, does the DSL modem have to be left on even when the computer is off?

Do not turn your DSL modem off if you can help it. Mine sometimes takes awhile to reconnect (again, probably a house phone line issue). I only recommended turning off the computer because it's a lot safer that way (assuming you have a PC).

(I'm one of those gloating mac users. Can't say I've never turned it off or had a crash, but I don't worry about viruses, worms or spyware. I do have and strongly second the suggestion of a hardware firewall)

Tim said:

Having a mac I haven't turned my computer off in over 10 years, so i can't answer that question.

go ahead and turn it off and get yourself a newer mac. Mine are 5 and 7 years old and I love 'em, but I'd sure like to try OSX (graduating daughter will beat me to it with a powerbook from my parents)

Curt Harms
05-02-2005, 8:52 AM
Hi Bob

I've had Verizon DSL for a couple years. I started out using Verizon's software and hooking the 'modem' directly to the computer. I spent 30-45 minutes on hold waiting to talk to their tech support. I was finally able to get things to work. Once I assured myself that this was indeed a viable service, I went out and bought a wireless router. I removed Verizon's imperfect :rolleyes: software. I hooked everthing up and powered things up in sequence 1) DSL 'modem' wait til the lights quit blinking rapidly 2)router. wait a minute 3) computers. Enter logon info and wireless security. Configure any wireless devices. 4) go to http://grc.com and run shields up! There are some other utilites there as well to enhance security.

In several years' internet use I've gotten exactly 1 virus (through momentary stupidity) no spam to speak of (use mozilla/firefox popup blocking) and excellent uptime. I would recommend a router right off the bat to save installing then uninstalling Verizon's software.
HTH

Curt Harms

Bob Weisner
05-02-2005, 9:03 AM
What is a "hardware firewall" ? I know what software firewalls are , like Norton, but have not heard of hardware firewalls.

Thanks,
Bob

Tim Morton
05-02-2005, 10:05 AM
What is a "hardware firewall" ? I know what software firewalls are , like Norton, but have not heard of hardware firewalls.

Thanks,
Bob

I hardware fireware is ussually a "router" when talking residential use. You can use a router even if you only have one user attached to it. it will go btween the modem and any comuters you want to use. I believe verizon has a wireless roter/modem combo with the latest offer. This would be a hardware firewall.

Bob Weisner
05-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Did another bandwidth test. Is 37092 kbps fast?

Thanks,

Bob Weisner
05-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Typed it in wrong . It said 2736.5 kbits. is that good?

Thanks,

Chuck Wintle
05-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Your connection speeds are dependant on the distance from the phone central and the quality of the telephone lines.

There is a website
http://www.broadbandreports.com/

where you can do speed tests and compare to others in your area with the same service