PDA

View Full Version : A couple of new HF

Steve Doerr
01-25-2013, 3:01 PM
These are a couple of HF that I recently finished. The first one is a piece of oak that came from the Joplin tornado. I used Inlace turquoise to fill cracks and grub holes. It is 9 1/4 “ T x 8” W. I notice that the curve is not as smooth as I thought it was. (Don’t you just hate noticing it after you have it all done:mad:) The second one is a piece of curly redwood. The curl is really iridescent—moves as you move. It is 3 5/8” T x 7 ¾” W. Both were dipped in an oil blend and Beall buffed. C & C welcomed.

Happy Turning,
Steve

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2013, 3:25 PM
I like the both and both of the forms. Really nice curl in the redwood. Well done.

Ted Calver
01-25-2013, 4:07 PM
Nice pieces and some nice wood too. Good job Steve.

charlie knighton
01-25-2013, 5:30 PM
very nice, the oak was probably green and moved on you, the redwood is nicely done, is it a fairly soft wood?

David DeCristoforo
01-25-2013, 6:16 PM
The oak form, I'm not too hot on. But the redwood one is very sweet.

Steve Doerr
01-25-2013, 6:37 PM
Charlie, the redwood is very soft. I have one more blank of it and will be thinking of a way to get a harder finish on it.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Michelle Rich
01-26-2013, 6:08 AM
I sure like the natural edge on the top of the first one..can you get it back on the lathe? take out the flat and round the bottom a bit? If so, I think it would be quite a stunner.

Eric Gourieux
01-26-2013, 9:23 AM
I'm with Michelle on this one. You could use a jam chuck to remount it.

I really like the inlay.

Are you from the Joplin area? Our daughter was going to school at OCC, so she knew several victims. Our family made several trips out to Joplin to help with the cleanup and rebuild.

Thanks for posting.

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Steve - I am not a huge fan of the Oak form but it does have a folk art appeal to it. The use of colored inlace compliments the color of the wood nicely. The Redwood form is about as nice as they come! Love all that curl and your photo captures it well! Nice work!

Brian Kent
01-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Charlie, the redwood is very soft. I have one more blank of it and will be thinking of a way to get a harder finish on it.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Have you or anyone tried waterlox as a hard finish for turning?

Steve Doerr
01-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks for your comments--
Brian--I've never used Waterlox, so I don't know anything about it.

Michelle--It has already been sold. Besides, it was 3/16 thick and I'd be afraid that end up with two halves to that HF.

Eric--Yes, we live in Joplin. Our home was about a mile and a half from the devastation. It was really amazing all of the people that have come to volunteer to help restore our community. Thanks for coming and helping.

Steve--I have a ton of wood that came from the tornado. Most of it is oak. I have used it to make a lot of pens, bowls and HF. Some of it has some really nice spalting and thus has what I think is great character.

Steve