PDA

View Full Version : jointer positioning

Lee Alkureishi
01-25-2013, 2:40 PM
Hi all,

I have an old 6" jointer, that I'd like to take off the original stand and mount on/in my workbench as a means of saving space. The old stand's splayed legs take up a lot of room. I have a couple of questions:

1) is there any reason not to Mount the jointer's bed near flush with the bench top I.e. sink the jointer into the bench? Obviously, it would need to be slightly proud for clearance, but the lower profile would help with positioning the other tools on the bench, and also improve access for adjustments on the underside.

2) I know not to stand in line with the workpiece when using the jointer, but is it OK to stand on the other side (back) of the jointer, Behind the fence? Seems like it should be safe, and it would allow me to mount it on the far corner, freeing up the front of the bench for work space.

You can probably tell, space is at a premium in my little shop!

Jeff Duncan
01-25-2013, 3:02 PM
That's going to be an awkward setup as the fence usually sticks up 4" +/- from the outfeed table, then the infeed drops below that. Not to say it can't be done, just to really think it through as there may be some hiccups trying to incorporate that kind of tool into a bench top. As for reaching over I don't know if it's a safety concern but it will be kinda awkward reaching over the fence.

With all that in mind maybe you'd be better off mounting the jointer to a mobile base low enough so you can slide it under the bench when not in use?

good luck,
JeffD

Jim Rimmer
01-25-2013, 3:33 PM
Sounds awkward to me. Are you left handed? I would think standing on the back side would be difficult reaching over the fence plus the reversal of your hands.

Myk Rian
01-25-2013, 8:51 PM
You need to account for the pulley sticking up into the underside of the bench.

I will not use a jointer from the back. Too much going on there with the belt and pulleys, and you'll have a hard time keeping the stock pushed, (or pulled in that case) against the fence.

Got a table saw? Can it be stored under the wing, or the backside of it?