PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Flying Rib Vase

John Beaver
01-25-2013, 1:20 PM
Walnut / Zebrawood, 5"x5"

My wife does not like this piece so I'm curious what you think.

Sometimes I get so stuck on the execution that I have a hard time looking at it objectively. My goal was to have two colors, two textures and two forms all working together.

c&c's please

Brian Kent
01-25-2013, 1:43 PM
It is fun and interesting, but not attractive to me personally. I admire your work in fitting the pieces and think that whatever techniques you used are valuable assets. On this particular piece the non-functionality of the wings interrupts my perception.

Robert McGowen
01-25-2013, 1:46 PM
uhmmmmm...... I think your wife has a good eye? :)

To me, it simply looks like you glued pieces of wood onto a vase for no apparent reason. To other people, it may seem like an artistic statement though, so only you know for sure.

Chris Studley
01-25-2013, 1:52 PM
I think if there were more ribbs, closer together to give it a look that it was a round, donut shape and the concave vase portion would be seen more upon closer look... if you follow?

Ryan Mooney
01-25-2013, 2:48 PM
Its cool, very well made and I'm sure it was fun to make, but yeah it doesn't appeal to me visually very much either.

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2013, 3:23 PM
Unique and interesting but to be honest it doesn't appeal to me. Wife has a good eye.

jwjerry w kowalski
01-25-2013, 4:26 PM
I agree with your wife, the shape is not very interesting, although it looks like a very well done piece.

Tim Leiter
01-25-2013, 4:31 PM
To me, if you removed the wings you would have a nice goblet. (I have to agree with the wifey too) :D
Tim.

charlie knighton
01-25-2013, 5:10 PM
if that is one piece its awesome, if its two different pieces its pretty good, its very hard to turn something unique but you did it again John, very nice