PDA

View Full Version : Z AXIS belt

Albert Nix
01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
My table shutters as it moves up and down and I think the belt on the z axis has jump a few teeth. How is the best way to know for sure that you have it lined back. Just use the focus probe on different spots??????

Albert Nix
01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
I pulled the covers off of the z belt and now I do not think it has slipped. I can a little pressure on one corner of the table as it moves up and down and it will stop the shutter. Does anyone lube the lead screws on the z? When I bought it to just keep it all clean and not to lube anything. But there seem to always be traces of something like molly grease on the screws.

Nick Michalares
01-25-2013, 1:06 PM
Yes, those do require lubrication and are very often overlooked. I find many binding at the bottom of the travel because it has been so long since it was down there. I use something like Break Free CLP or Tri Flow spray lubricants. Coat the screw liberally and take it through the limits of the focus movement a couple times making sure it moves freely. I'll usually wipe the screws down as they move, then spray it again until it comes through clean. The tables do get out of level occasionally and what you said is the best way to check it unless you have a dial indicator.

Albert Nix
01-25-2013, 1:39 PM
My table only has three screws. When I check the left side (two screws) front to back with the probe it looked pretty level and from left to right on the bottom side look ok but left side(single screw) top to bottom it may have been off .040 or .050 but I didn't think that was enough to cause that problem. I used a little light oil on them and it seem to make a big difference so I am thinking lube too. thanks

Jim Reinhard
01-25-2013, 8:14 PM
Your table is probably out of square with the jack screws.Try loosening the table from the brackets below the table .Run it up and down a few times and then tighten them back up.