PDA

View Full Version : Almost finished my articulating arm hollower

Mike D Harris
01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Since this was only possible because of everybody else that has posted their's on the internet, maybe this will pass some ideas forward. The only unique idea was to use the tool rest extension that came with my HF lathe as a secondary banjo so that I didn't need to bother with making one. I based this mainly on the design from "turning trees into toothpicks" website. However, to save cost I borrowed the idea from someobody else to use super oilite washers instead of thrust bearings. The main arm sections were from a rusty bar of 5/8" x 2" that I think was part of an old tractor hitch. I used a 3/4" shaft coupler welded to 3/4" black pipe for the tool handle. This allows the 3/4" tools to slide into the tool handle so that I can shorten the overall length of the tool when convenient. I also welded 2" of 3/4" drill rod to a 1/2" shaft coupler to make an adapter to use 1/2" tools. That way I can make some 1/2" tools which are cheaper than 3/4" and will also work in my bowl gouge handle.

So far so good. I haven't gotten around to finishing the laser mount, but a piece of electrical tape wrapped around it keeps the button pressed. :)

Eric Holmquist
01-25-2013, 8:09 PM
Looks like you are having fun making a great tool!

Harry Robinette
01-25-2013, 9:52 PM
Made mine last year,I think it was as much fun making as using. Well almost !!!!!

James Combs
01-26-2013, 11:24 AM
What I really, really like about is having the extended handle behind the final articulation section(one just before the tool holder section). That should almost give you the feeling of using a separate tool that is completely stable. I will be looking to add a similar extension to the back of the tool coupler on my Mini-Monster rig. The only cavet I see with it, is you got to watch pinching yourself between the extension and the final articulation section.

Richard Madden
01-26-2013, 8:43 PM
Looks good, Mike. If you find the laser vibrating in use, you might want to consider a piece of conduit over the all thread. Helped mine a lot.

Mike D Harris
01-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Pretty funny, I already put a metal curtain rod over the all thread to stop the vibration. :) I had intended to cut off the extended handle, but it is really nice to have it that long.