PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 701 Mortiser

George Bokros
01-25-2013, 8:47 AM
I have a line on a used one with a set of six chisels (don't know brand of chisels yet) for $350. Looks good in picture but have not seen in person yet.

What do you think of the price. I found a new Powermatic for $499.

Thanks

George

Rich Riddle
01-25-2013, 9:22 AM
You can typically find Powermatic on sale 10% off a couple times a year, so figure that unit is worth $450 new. I pay approximately 40% to 65% for a used tool in good condition and well-maintained. That would give you a range of $180 to $300 just for the mortiser. Then calculate the price of the bits dependent on their condition.

I don't buy tools in poor condition. I also won't purchase tools used in production or ones a contractor/tradesman even gave a glance. You can't easily or inexpensively fix an abused tool.

Despite giving a simple price range, there are many unaddressed variables here. How old is the used mortiser? How was it used? A hobbyist or production, etc.? In what condition is the older unit? What is the brand name of chisels? In what condition are the chisels? Would you really be using six different sizes of chisels? Good chisels can be quite expensive. Grizzly sells some Japanese chisels that are really good quality.

Mike Heidrick
01-25-2013, 1:34 PM
The 701 I had came with a cone sharpener too wich makes even chiwan chisels servaceable. I liked it. Only reason I sodl it was we got $899 Jet floor mortisers for $300 that year with the combined WMH sales and $100 rebtes. I sold the 701 for $375. It is one of teh best benchtop models out there. WMH even sells a riser for it. I loved the T track base with the roller guides. $300 is a good price for one in great shape. A used one would be much better than a new delta benchtop IMO.