PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0623X wont start - Broken Scoring Belt

Brent Ring
01-25-2013, 12:57 AM
Hello All,

Always when you need it, something breaks, right? :) I had started my saw tonight and it was running. I then turned it off, realizing I was not quite ready to make the cut. When I was finally ready, I went to turn it on and it would not start. Checked power and it was good. I opened the cabinet and noticed the scoring blade belt had broken and was hanging loose. I am wondering if there is a sensor on the scoring belt system that, when there is no tension on the belt, some kind of switch is tripped and wont allow the saw to start. I will call Grizzly tomorrow to order a replacement belt, but I need the saw before they can ship the parts and I am wondering if there is some way to make it go without the scoring system. Or am I off completely? The saw is about 18 months old.

Thanks in advance.

Brent

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2013, 1:21 AM
Hi Brent!

I looked at the manual for the G0623X. There is no sensor for the scoring belt that I can see. The blade guard has a height limit switch that is in series with the Emergency Off switch. Those two devices and the thermal overload button could cause the motor to not come on.

ed vitanovec
01-25-2013, 9:33 AM
Is the blade guard door closed? Also check the red stop buttons to make sure they are working, it takes a slight twist to make sure they aren't tripped and maybe they are sticking from dust build-up.

Brent Ring
01-25-2013, 1:00 PM
Ed and Ken,

Thanks for the responses. I am red in the face and maybe should take a week away from the saw for embarrassment! :eek:. I had some boards leaning up against the blade height handle, and moved them to the right, to adjust the blade height. When I did this, unbeknownst to me, they hit the red stop button on the right side of the case. I have never needed or used that button before, and so it was not something I expected to affect the saw. However, a call to Grizzly tech support got me looking at other things and I discovered that it had, in fact, been hit and once reset, I am back in action! Whew! I am trying to get a dining table finished for my oldest son before he moves to Minnesota here shortly, and was wondering how I was going to finish without my saw. I do still need to order a scoring blade belt, but at least all is working for me now. Thanks for the quick responses!

glenn bradley
01-25-2013, 1:03 PM
When I did this, unbeknownst to me, they hit the red stop button on the right side of the case.

That is great, and thank you for sharing. It always warms my heart when we can laugh at ourselves while simultaneously providing valuable info for others.

Jeremy Pense
01-25-2013, 4:05 PM
Sounds like a blessing in disguise regarding the scoring belt, dont you think? Makes one wonder just how long you had been working without it. Could you tell on your last cuts if it was operating or not? Just curious.

ed vitanovec
01-25-2013, 5:39 PM
I use that stop button as much as the one below the sliding table. I am glad that is all it was, mine has worked great and went through similar learning experiences with the safety switches. Show us a picture of your project when you compllete it.

Brent Ring
01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Jeremy, most of my work is solid work, so I dont use the scoring blade that much. But it was good to know and find out.

Erik Loza
01-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Brent, my suggestion: Always order at least two belts. Just good to have around and shipping will cost the same.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Steve Rozmiarek
01-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Brent, don't feel alone on pulling that. I did the same darn thing with my Felder combo. The planer/jointer has a kill switch that shuts down the whole machine. I couldn't get the saw to start, was on the phone with Felder tec when I noticed the kill switch was pushed. Maybe they were just being diplomatic, but he said that it wasn't the first call about the same thing.