PDA

View Full Version : Cut Brass With Carbide Saw?

Derek Arita
01-24-2013, 10:45 PM
I have some 1/2" brass stock that I need to cut. Can I really cut it safely with a regular carbide miter saw blade? Will it harm the blade?

Dave Beauchesne
01-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Derek:

Some will say yes, but the better saw blade manufacturers make specific blades for non-ferrous metals and they work well.

Good luck!

Dave B

Rick Lizek
01-25-2013, 5:01 AM
The best blade is a triple chip grind with a negative hook which happens to be a standard blade on miter saws and radial arm saws. I've crosscut and ripped miles of brass, copper, aluminum, etc. up to two inches thick on a table saw when I was working as a Metalsmith.

William Adams
01-25-2013, 6:47 AM
One oft-repeated suggestion --- cut a block of paraffin wax first to lubricate the blade.

Another which may have merit --- enclose the motor section of the saw in a clear plastic bag to protect it from metal chips / dust.

HANK METZ
01-25-2013, 7:43 AM
As stated a triple chip negative hook blade will easily do it, but don't use that blade for anything else afterwards, so buy the cheapest one you can and also the smallest diameter that will do the job.

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Ole Anderson
01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Hey, what is the worst that could happen?

Seriously, many good answers above, triple chip, negative hook, wax on the blade. I found that if the gullets are too small, that they can fill with aluminum and you have to beat it out. But then I was using a "controlled cut" blade with maybe 20 teeth and very little gullet space. And frankly, it seemed that I could cut more aluminum with a blade before it dulled than when cutting wood, less abrasive.