PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher Please

David Cramer
01-24-2013, 10:04 PM
After reading many reviews, is there anyone on this board who can recommend a decent dishwasher that isn't going to breakdown within a year or two?

I've read dozens and dozens of reviews on the Sears website as well as Costco, etc.... I realize that there are both fake negative and positive reviews (shills), but geez my head hurts. Anyone with a good recommendation? Thanks:)

David

Stephen Cherry
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
I replaced a 25 year old machine with a whirpool-- not impressed. The old one got the dishes cleaner, and the silverware holder in the wirlpool opens up when you least want it to to let the silverware go flying everywhere. It was only about 400 dollars, so it was not an upscale one.

Shawn Pixley
01-24-2013, 10:34 PM
I like either the Bosch or Miele models. Low water consumption and extremely quiet.

Charles McKinley
01-24-2013, 11:16 PM
New rules go into effect in March I believe that will put strict water use and power consumption limits on them so choose quickly while you canget one that almost works.

Bruce Page
01-24-2013, 11:44 PM
I bought one of the higher end KitchenAid models 16 months ago. So far I have had no problems with it. It does an excellent job washing the dishes and is extremely quiet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues..

Jim Tobias
01-25-2013, 12:52 AM
We bought a Siemens about 3 years ago and love it. Quiet, gets dishes very clean.

Jim

Bob Rufener
01-25-2013, 2:54 AM
We've had two dishwashers in about 34 years. Both were Kitchenaids. No problems but maybe we were lucky. Don't go cheap on appliances as it probably will bite you in the end as they don't last.

George Bokros
01-25-2013, 7:09 AM
Got a Maytag two years ago for Christmas. Very quiet, gets dishes clean, no problems.

Bryan Cowing
01-25-2013, 7:49 AM
Bosch, not cheap, $1200. Very quiet, 3 yrs so far

Brian Tymchak
01-25-2013, 7:52 AM
We've had two dishwashers in about 34 years. Both were Kitchenaids. No problems but maybe we were lucky. Don't go cheap on appliances as it probably will bite you in the end as they don't last.

+1 on the Kitchenaid. I put one in when we moved in to our current house back in 2004. Not one issue to date. Seems very quiet to me but I can't compare to other models.

Jim Matthews
01-25-2013, 8:06 AM
I bought the Bosch Evolution (500 series) with the stainless steel liner and base pan from the Sears appliance outlet (http://www.searsoutlet.com/?sid=ISx20110411x000001&psid=44x1080394&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=sears%20appliance%20outlet&utm_campaign=Sears%20Outlet%20-%20Google%20-%20Brand%20Plus%20-%20Store%20-%20Test%20-%20National&gclid=CPab_unIg7UCFYs7MgodqkQARQ)nearby.

A scratch on the front saved me $300. The install was pretty straightforward, as there was an ancient Whirlpool to replace.
The new one is very quiet, and gets things VERY clean.

One note - the presoak fluid is not optional - that's how the newer models get things so clean, with less water.

Not only was the washer discounted, but I saved nearly $250 on the installation, doing it myself.
The only hassle was trotting the old one out to the transfer station.

Jerome Stanek
01-25-2013, 8:15 AM
Mine has worked very well for 42 years now and she still like to wash them. But finding a model like her is hard she has her quirks but I put up with them and usually we have a good conversation while she is doing them. Oh yeah we have an under counter unit that is 40 years old bot only gets used about once a year. Wife loves to do them by hand she says it calms her down.

Jeff Monson
01-25-2013, 8:44 AM
Don't buy Electrolux, we have had ours for 2 years. It has broken 2 times already, luckily I have been able to fix it myself. Its very quiet and washes dishes well....when its working.

Dick Latshaw
01-25-2013, 8:55 AM
We purchased a Bosch with stainless interior about a tear and a half ago. It's quiet and gets the dishes clean. No problems with it. It replaced a twelve year old Maytag. Would have gotten another Maytag if they had not become Whirlpool.

John Pratt
01-25-2013, 9:08 AM
We got the Kenmore Elite three years ago and I hate it. Spent the extra money for the so-called quality (about $1100) and the thing has been broken more times than I can remember. Even when working, I don't think it gets the dishes clean unless you prewash/rinse. Some of it may have to do with the removal of phosphates from the soap formulations, but I think I was taken on this particular machine. I don't understand the new rules for diswashers concerning water consumption. They already use limited water and probably less than doing them by hand. Although doing them by hand seems to be the way we do them most often anymore.

Jim O'Dell
01-25-2013, 10:41 AM
We bought an Amana about 4 or 5 years ago. Actually ordered it online and had delivered. IIRC it was about 500 bucks, give or take a few. Same model locally, and we looked all over, was about 100 to 150 more. It has the stainless interior, silverware buckets on the door, which LOML and I both prefer, and it is super quiet. We do rinse plates, pots and pans before running it. No idea how much/little water it uses, but it is an Energy Star compliant unit. Dishwashers are a lot like lawnmowers. Unless you end up with the really expensive units, they are pretty much all made by two manufacturers. Jim.

Greg Portland
01-25-2013, 12:15 PM
I like either the Bosch or Miele models. Low water consumption and extremely quiet.
Agreed. These are expensive though. Another option would be to get a cheaper unit with a long warranty and expect breakdowns.

David Weaver
01-25-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't buy into the expensive = reliable stuff. Expensive does equal more pretty.

Some old lady had our house before we moved in. She got one of the plain white whirlpool dishwashers, and we have it still working. I can only vouch for it being at least 8 years old. It's not that quiet, but it's not loud like the old dishwashers. I'd bet it was probably $350.

Clark Howard has discussed his conversations with appliance manufacturers and they've commented on the same about appliances, if there is any trend, it's that the higher cost appliances are generally less reliable (whether it's volume, or just more engineering attention to the higher volume low cost options).

My wife runs the dishwasher about 4 times a week. I always wash the dishes by hand if I do them. If you're going to run water over the dishes or scrape them off into the trash before you put them in the dishwasher, might as well just let them soak instead and wash them off quickly.

Mike Cutler
01-25-2013, 2:11 PM
David

We bought an ASKO about a year or so ago, and so far so good.
We looked at pretty much everything that was out there and chose between the Bosch and the ASKO. The ASKO heats it's own water,and was a little less$$$ than the Bosch. It's also bigger inside than the Bosch's, but not by much.
We found that dishwasher pricing fell into 2 groups. Those with plastic internals, and those with metal internals, racks, sprayers, stainless steel cases, etc. Ours, as with the comparable Boschs', was almost all metal inside with the exception of the silverware and strainer basket, and the soap dispenser. The Miele's were all metal too.
Be warned though; A complete cycle is over 2 hours with ours, because it has to heat it's own water.

John Lohmann
01-25-2013, 2:47 PM
Got a kitchenaid superba sitting in my basement for 4 years, only worked well for 4 years, bought whirlpool gold, seems okay, kitchenaid quieter, insulation was 1" thicker

David Weaver
01-25-2013, 2:51 PM
David

We bought an ASKO about a year or so ago, and so far so good.
We looked at pretty much everything that was out there and chose between the Bosch and the ASKO. The ASKO heats it's own water,and was a little less$$$ than the Bosch. It's also bigger inside than the Bosch's, but not by much.
We found that dishwasher pricing fell into 2 groups. Those with plastic internals, and those with metal internals, racks, sprayers, stainless steel cases, etc. Ours, as with the comparable Boschs', was almost all metal inside with the exception of the silverware and strainer basket, and the soap dispenser. The Miele's were all metal too.
Be warned though; A complete cycle is over 2 hours with ours, because it has to heat it's own water.

I thought most of them heated water now. Do you mean it only takes in cold water?

Mike Cutler
01-25-2013, 3:22 PM
David

Yes, It only has a cold water hookup.

Dave Ogren
01-27-2013, 1:38 PM
+1 on the Kitchen-Aid. I did my homework and it was the most highly recommended. I am very pleased, would do it again, but I am positive that I won't have to.

Myk Rian
01-27-2013, 2:02 PM
We have a Maytag EQ plus. It's lasted 15+ years, and runs like it'll last another 15.

Ruperto Mendiones
01-27-2013, 2:24 PM
Bosch. I've had 3 over 25 years. The last one has had no repairs and it is 5 yr old.

Dick Latshaw
01-27-2013, 10:19 PM
We have a Maytag EQ plus. It's lasted 15+ years, and runs like it'll last another 15.

Ya, but, Maytag isn't Maytag any more. Sold out to Whirlpool, and now made in China.

Brian Libby
01-28-2013, 7:02 AM
Bosch-highest rated for several years and they are very quite

David Cramer
01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks to all the replies. Still trying to figure it all out as the replacement part is a tick over $180 and the dishwasher costed $900 7 years ago this April. I've replaced 3 other things, but nothing this expensive. We'll see:)

Much appreciation,

David

Don Morris
01-31-2013, 1:25 PM
We replaced ours recently and after doing much research and talking to repair people, the consensus was that with the new electronics, they are all about in the same boat. There is no one brand that is going to flat out out perform all the others in every area without some problem in an area where the others have an advantage. i.e. Maytag was great, but if you happened to let a metal something get into the flow, it could damage the entire motor. Other brands, didn't have that problem, but were less effective in other areas. No "reviews of" were consistently all good or all bad. We settled on a GE Monogram. It seems to be just fine. My sister-in-laws relative owns an appliance store in the Chicagoland area. They bought a Bosch. They're not happy with it. You put your money down and say a prayer. Some win, some lose.