PDA

View Full Version : Folding Lumber Racks

Mark Dorman
01-24-2013, 9:37 PM
Not exactly a Neander only project but this is where I hang out the most. I used two 24 x 96 sheets of 3/4 ply and made these lumber racks. The racks nest together to make good use of the sheet; then bolt together with some hinges and load em up.
I let my Workmate help on this project. I can attach a PDF if any one is intrested.

Jim Ritter
01-24-2013, 9:46 PM
Nice I might have to make a pair of those for storing spars temporarily after varnishing in the spring.
Jim

Mark Dorman
01-24-2013, 9:50 PM
I thought the same thing they would make good drying racks that would store easy. Could be thinner ply and more shelves too.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-24-2013, 9:52 PM
Nifty. I like that the rack is fold-able. I wish I had the room to store more wood, but something like this but smaller might be helpful for when I'm accumulating for a project, as I could store it away when not using it.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim Koepke
01-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Nice.

My first thought was you built one like mine.

It folded like a house of cards the first time lumber was loaded onto it. :eek:

Only kidding. Mine isn't finished yet.

jtk

Chris Griggs
01-25-2013, 5:57 AM
Not exactly a Neander only project....

There's a brace and some planes in the photo. Good enough. And all this time I thought my lumber was supposed to be strewn around, sitting on the basement floor and leaning up against random walls.

Nice rack!

Mark Dorman
01-25-2013, 7:53 AM
Nice.

My first thought was you built one like mine.

It folded like a house of cards the first time lumber was loaded onto it. :eek:

Only kidding. Mine isn't finished yet.

jtk

I wondered about the strength too Jim. I was going to run a heavy 6 foot long piano hinge; but the cost didn't work for me and so I tried the hinges in the pics. I bought another 50 board feet of red oak last night; so there is about 120 board feet on it. Seems to be holding up.