PDA

View Full Version : The Electrical plate saga continues...... Color filling powder coated plates.

Delbert Rippetoe
01-24-2013, 9:05 PM
I received my order of electrical plates and I just engraved through the powder coating and it appears to be a very thin coating. In the past I have used photo resist tape and engraved through and then sandblasted and then painted. Some on here have said that the sandblast will not help, but it seems to, might be my imagination. Anyway, does anyone have some different experience with these. I think Mike may have suggested a paint used in modeling. Just trying to streamline this process and hopefully a little less messy than sandblasting. I have several of these to do so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rodne Gold
01-25-2013, 1:18 AM
Modelling paint will work , smear it on , scape off excess with the edge of a flat piece of card , let it dry .
Wrap a small wooden block or a square of acrylic with a THIN LINT FREE cloth (like thin t-shirt material , moisten (DO NOT DRENCH) with thinners and carefully use it to wipe away all the dried excess. Will work for thinner lines etc , but if you have large solid areas of shallow fill , it can scoop the fill from the inside of these areas , in that case , use methylated spirits (denatured methyl alcohol) instead of thinners. Requires more elbow grease to clean excess , but it wont scoop and it will still leave large area fills or thick letters with a nice glossy finish (thinners makes the surface of the fill matte)