PDA

View Full Version : Chip-Bowl Handle needs a little somethin' somethin'

Brian Kent
01-24-2013, 8:53 PM
This is a Cocobolo 4-part handle for the center of a chip bowl. The design idea came as I looked at the hole at the bottom of the chip bowl and thought, I bet one of those center-handles might look nice so nobody notices the hole.

But I wasn't satisfied with some curvy-sided dowel. So I got the driest, chippiest piece of cocobolo I have ever seen, cut it in 4 parts, glued it up and started an inside-out turning. Did I mention the wood is dry and splintery and crackly?

After the first turning I turned around each bundle of polished wood and splinters, epoxied them together and started turning the outside of the handle. It was only about 95% done - about time for sanding to begin, when I carefully "gouged" the end of the spindle gouge between the blades. I thought I was supposed to do that since it is called a "gouge"! Did I mention the wood was a little dry and splintery?

So now I am just trying to figure out the finishing touch.

Maybe duct tape, a pint of epoxy, lighter fluid, a cocobolo tree.

What do those of you with more turning experience recommend as a "next step"?

Thom Sturgill
01-24-2013, 9:10 PM
When asked about fixing cracks in bowl, John Jordan remarked that a cracked bowl is a cracked bowl, burn it. Life is too short to turn crappy wood.

I suggest you chalk it up to experience and do another.

Roger Chandler
01-24-2013, 9:18 PM
Makes nice kindling....:eek:.....not trying to be disheartening, Brian, .......all of us have had those that went awry and frustrated us because of the effort we put into it..........just know this........it must be an unwritten rule or some law of turning physics......it always seems to happen when we were almost finished with a turning we were getting close to where we wanted it!

It is elation ending in near heartbreak..........someone told me once, and I have heard this piece of wisdom since a few times.......it is not like this stuff does not grow on trees........[meaning we will have another chance at it! ;) ] Still, its painful when it happens! I would recommend you chalk it up to experience and move to your next big idea in the adventure........nothing like an accomplishment to dim the painful memory and give you some braggin' rights! :D

Good luck and God speed! :)

Brian Kent
01-24-2013, 9:19 PM
I could grind flat spots on each piece and use them for board games. :)

Tim Leiter
01-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Deposit into file #13. I agree with the experts that have said "wood grows on trees" and I would endeavor to try again with better quality wood, ie., not extremely dry and chippy.
Life's too short to use up trying to fix it and make a silk purse out of a sows (broken) ear. lol. ;)
Tim.

David DeCristoforo
01-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Attach the pieces to a framed canvas. Endow it with a catchy title. Call it art. It will probably be the fastest selling piece you ever make! And don't forget the duct tape, epoxy and lighter fluid. If judiciously applied, those will only serve to enhance the value...

Aric Krueger
01-25-2013, 3:44 AM
I sometimes take a photo of "things that didn't work out the way I wanted" or "learning experiences" (OK...the file is actually called "failures"). I get satisfaction looking at them to see my skill progression and I show them to students/beginners as examples of what not to do and explain what went wrong. The pieces themselves end up in the wood stove.
I live in a small town. I am positive (maybe even a little proud of the idea) that I have the fanciest fire wood in town. ;)

Here's one I did a while back similar to yours. I was going for thin. It got a little too thin... :rolleyes:
(...trying to think ahead)
A file of photos such as this could also be useful to you in the future. If you should ever suffer the accusation that you are perfect, you can defend yourself with photographic evidence to the contrary that would provide enough reasonable doubt to a jury of your peers that they would have no choice but to exonerate you. :D

Allan Ferguson
01-25-2013, 11:01 AM
It pays to have a wood stove. Things like this do happen once in a while. Take heart and venture onward in quest of your goal and be happy none of your body parts are a reflection of this turning.

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2013, 3:41 PM
Brian I would start over. The time it takes you fix it you could turn another.

Brian Kent
01-25-2013, 4:31 PM
Yup. Just after this I got a request for a couple of rustic oak mugs to carry around he renaissance fair. The opposite end of finishing excellence!

charlie knighton
01-25-2013, 5:15 PM
Brian, the curve does not always go up, i like that you kept messing with it, sometimes you do not have to accomplish anything, enjoy your turning time, do not make it a job

robert baccus
01-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Do you have a mother in law and when is her birthday and the problem is--?

Brian Kent
01-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Do you have a mother in law and when is her birthday and the problem is--?

Where is that "like" button?

mark ravensdale
01-27-2013, 7:17 PM
Thom, you must NEVER burn any hardwood!, it was put on this earth for turning not for burning!!!:)
But seriously I try never to throw wood away even the most crappy pieces I seem to find a use for, it can just take a year or two before I find the right job!!!:p