PDA

View Full Version : Double Edge Razor Question

Raymond Fries
01-24-2013, 8:09 PM
Based on feedback here on double edge razors we decided to switch from what we had been using to the old fashioned DE razors. I have purchased two from ebay. The first was a 1966 Gillette Slim which was very nice and with Feather blades is awesome.

The second was a 1960 Gillette Fatboy which is also nice. Both were advertised as Mint and Excellent respectively.

Here is the question:

The Fatboy seems to have a slight catch just as the doors start to close and the ad said:

Mechanical: Excellent
Silo Doors: Open and close as designed
TTO Knob: Smooth with tightening on the final portion of the turn as designed.
Adjustment Knob: Smooth turn and positive clicks

Does this sound right? Is this razor designed to seem to catch just as the doors start to close? The slim razor is very smooth from wide open to all the way closed. That is what is raising the question.
I am just concerned that if this is not the way it is supposed to operate, that it is getting ready to fail.

Please advise as I would like to return this if it appears that it might break.

Thanks for your comments.

David Weaver
01-24-2013, 8:48 PM
I don't have slim, but i have a super speed and a fat boy. Both of them operate smoothly. They are brass, though, right? can you see what might be causing the issue?. If the razor closes tight and stays tight, then it's really doing all you need it to do.

That said, fatboys aren't cheap unless they're beaters, if you're uncomfortable with it and still can't see what's wrong, then ask the seller if you could send it back. You can always ask on badgerandblade.org, too, that's a forum that's more DE focused. I only have 3 DEs, wish I could give you a better answer but I'm a daily straight razor shaver and don't pay much attention to the DEs unless i'm traveling.

Greg Portland
01-25-2013, 12:10 PM
I used a Fatboy before I got a Merkur and it did NOT have a catch. Something is wrong. I agree with David, go to one of the DE forums; there may be a simple cleaning or adjustment that will fix the problem.

Raymond Fries
01-25-2013, 7:28 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I am just going to return it and get another one. It was supposed to be excellent mechanical and just a little off on that part.