PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Band saw a question for owners

Sam Murdoch
01-24-2013, 6:45 PM
Does anyone own one of these G0555LX 14" Deluxe Band Saw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0555LX)

and would you recommend such a saw for resawing 5" wide x 6/4 cherry stock?

I am not looking for a saw to make veneer but something that is capable of the occasional thick board into thin boards without all kinds of run out - and then for more conventional band saw duty. I like the price and on the off chance that I won't win the one in the Creek giveaway I'm asking if I should consider other options. Like this one perhaps Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw 10-325 any comments?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Myk Rian
01-24-2013, 7:06 PM
Practically any 14" saw will re-saw 5" stock. But you have to know how to set it up.

Chris Vandiver
01-24-2013, 7:17 PM
I've seen this model up close http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-2-HP-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0457 and would recommend it over the smaller saw. More money but.......

Jim Finn
01-24-2013, 7:45 PM
I have a GO555 and use it exclusively for re-sawing 8" and 6" cedar and oak. Works well with a woodslicer blade. and a re-saw fence.

Sam Murdoch
01-24-2013, 8:03 PM
I've seen this model up close http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-2-HP-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0457 and would recommend it over the smaller saw. More money but.......

The extra HP is worth it - more power means a better cut along with the single piece frame?
I started out thinking that I couldn't get away with spending less than a grand but always hopeful:rolleyes:

But Jim you are saying that the smaller version is up to the job?

What does this mean - "We have a limited supply of stock that is CSA certified." - from the Grizzly web site?

Charlie Barnes
01-24-2013, 9:23 PM
The extra HP is worth it - more power means a better cut along with the single piece frame?
I started out thinking that I couldn't get away with spending less than a grand but always hopeful:rolleyes:

But Jim you are saying that the smaller version is up to the job?

What does this mean - "We have a limited supply of stock that is CSA certified." - from the Grizzly web site?

I have the regular G0555 and it does OK with some occasional resawing as you describe. I think I would want the extra HP if I was going to resaw a lot. Regaring CSA, I always considered it to be the Canadian version of UL. There's probably more to it than that, but you can get the idea. Grizzly might have changed suppliers for the motors and the new ones haven't been certified by CSA. I emphasize the "might" in this statement since this is just a guess.

Charlie

Noel Poore
01-24-2013, 10:31 PM
I've had the G0457 for about three years and am very pleased with it. I have never owned another band saw, but have successfully resawed stock up to 10 inches wide. Like another commenter said, you have to have it set up right. I like the fence, and use a double height feather board with wide stock. The first time I got it set up well, I was amazed at the smoothness of the cut. Just for fun I cut some 1/16 inch veneer and glued it down to some MDF as it are off the saw. I would have been happy to use that board in a piece of furniture. Like I said, I've never owned another bandsaw, so have no comparison to other saws, cheaper or more expensive, but for me, the G0457 does what I need and does it well.

Noel

Jim Rimmer
01-25-2013, 3:54 PM
I have the G0555X and it has resawed everything I've tried with no difficulty. (I don't have riser blocks) If this is your first bs I recommend Mark Duginski's book and a woodslicer blade.

Sam Murdoch
01-25-2013, 4:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I must admit Jim that I am leaning to the GO555X rather than the 1HP models or the bigger 2HP model. I just don't have room and the smaller footprint is important but I like the upgrade features on the 555X. Not my first bandsaw by far but when I down scaled from a full size shop 10 years ago I never could find room for a bandsaw. A potential upcoming project though is making a bandsaw idespensable. Who am I to argue :D - though I have no idea still as to how to fit one in. A mobile base will be essential. I would love to own a bandsaw again.

My big question is about Grizzly itself. In the old days - early/mid 80s Grizzly was a very undependable brand. Never new what level of quality you might get. This seems to have changed, based on what lots of you report. So I'm giving the company a re-look. No comments or comparison to the Rikon brand?

Prashun Patel
01-25-2013, 4:55 PM
I had a G0555 and now have a G0514x2. I can say that the G0555 was able to do what you're asking, but it was not as easy as with a larger saw. More HP has its place here.

One thing I did not like about that saw was its bearings.

If you can afford the $$ and the space, I say buy the biggest, baddest bandsaw you can afford. It just makes things so much easier.

Also, know that if you are cutting 6/4 cherry that is quite long, the added stability of a larger table on a beefier saw is nice to have - especially if you get the riser block and want to resaw thicker stuff.

Bryan Cramer
01-26-2013, 5:24 PM
I have the same saw. I recommend the G055 series as a beginner band saws. Get the G055 if you think you won't do much resawing and will not put a riser in it. Get the G055X if you want to do resawing and put a riser in it. I love my G055X. I did put the riser block in it and switched it to 220v. I can accurately saw 12" purple heart with it. I have cut every wood imaginable and it never stalled. The blade even tracks every straight! The balanced cast iron wheels make it a smooth running saw. The cast iron wheels also give more momentum then the aluminum ones. The tension is dead accurate, the fence is great, and the extra table is nice when curve cutting. I think that the G055 series is the best value saws around. You can't go wrong with either of them. I you want something more powerful and bigger go with a European saw.