PDA

View Full Version : Shop Made Blast Gates

Mark Duksta
05-01-2005, 1:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share some pictures of some blast gates I just completed. I took Terry Hatfields advice and drew a line that shows the gate in the fully closed position. Thanks for the idea Terry. I also included a removable "plug" so I could disasemble the gate if I should need to clean it. The plastic parts are glued in with polyurethane glue. I laquered the inside of the gate and the moving part of the gate, and I painted the outside.

Mark

Ken Garlock
05-01-2005, 3:29 PM
Very nice work, Mark. :) I notice two different colors of pipe, green for the tool, and white to the collector, as I read it. What are the sizes you used, and why the green pipe?

Do you have any ideas for automating the opening and closing of the gates? :cool:

Bart Leetch
05-01-2005, 4:02 PM
Thats the way I used to make my blast gates.

Now I make them so the slide goes all the way through the gate with a cleat on each end of the slide as a stop & a hole in the middle just push it open or push it close the cleat stops the gate with the hole aligned for full flow or completely closed. This leaves no place for chips to get stuck in so the gate is hard to close. I like to use melamine & wax it, it slides so easy.

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 5:22 PM
Great idea for the little "finger pulls" on the gates! Getting a good grip can come in handy. These gates look excellent!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-01-2005, 7:10 PM
Looks great! I recently built my first blast gate as well. For how simple they are, I doubt I will buy another.

Mark Duksta
05-01-2005, 8:19 PM
Very nice work, Mark. :) I notice two different colors of pipe, green for the tool, and white to the collector, as I read it. What are the sizes you used, and why the green pipe?

Do you have any ideas for automating the opening and closing of the gates? :cool:

I used 6" S&D pipe on one side and half of a coupler on the other. This allowed me to slide the pipe side straight into the WYE that comes off the main line. The coupler side will allow me to use a shopmade quick disconnect for some 6" flex. I don't plan to automate the opening and closing of the gates.

I would have made a slide-through gate that is self cleaning but the slide would have had to be about 15" long. I didn't have that much room. The gates are 8" X 8". There are pins on either side of the slide on the inside that prevent the slide from coming all the out. Now I have to begin connecting my machines.

Mark

Terry Hatfield
05-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Mark,

Those look great!!!!

Terry

Tom LaRussa
05-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Mark,

Those look great!!!!

Terry

Terry,

You figured out how to hook up a blast gate to a Bedrock yet? ;):p

Steve Clardy
05-04-2005, 9:55 AM
Terry,

Lol. He will eventually;) :)

Terry Hatfield
05-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Terry,

HA!!!!!!!!!! Not just yet. Still have to use a broom for those pesky plane shavins'. :D

t