PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Woodworking Show

Rich Riddle
01-24-2013, 2:20 PM
Are any of you going to the woodworking show in Kansas City this weekend? I am going into town to take my dad. Someone said they offer events for children as well. Do any of you know anything about that?

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/shows/kansascity.htm

Mike Campbell KS
01-24-2013, 2:31 PM
Craft Supply usually has a few midi lathes set up and anyone can turn a free pen. I've seen lots of kids do this. Be prepared for a long waiting list however.

Rich Riddle
01-24-2013, 2:42 PM
Craft Supply usually has a few midi lathes set up and anyone can turn a free pen. I've seen lots of kids do this. Be prepared for a long waiting list however.

Thanks Mike. We will be heading down there early Saturday from Overland Park. I'm not certain if the 10 year-old nephew will be joining us or not.

Roger Feeley
01-24-2013, 9:34 PM
If you do bring the 10 year old, there's not much downtown for entertainment. Some things that come to mind:
1. Alamo Draft House movie theater isn't far away. Sit in a comfy chair and let them deliver food and watch a movie.
2. Pop down to Crown Center and take the young one to Fritz's Train Restaurant. The food isn't much buy you just have to see how it's delivered. You order by phone and the food is delivered by overhead trains.
3. The World War I museum is terrific.
4. Science City at the KC Union Station isn't as good as the Exploratorium but it's the same sort of thing.
5. The toy and miniature museum near the country club plaza is a treasure. The toys are neat and you will be blown away by the miniature furniture.

Chuck Saunders
01-25-2013, 8:38 AM
The local Woodcraft and Overland Tool Co will be having specials at their stores as well this weekend as they will not be at the show.

Rich Riddle
01-25-2013, 8:43 AM
Guess folks might not understand what I am asking. I am asking if there are things for children to do at the show, not in the surrounding area. It looks like there might be one event with woodturning.

chris renfrew
01-25-2013, 1:46 PM
I went to this last year (when it was in Overland Park - where I live, btw). The lines were fairly long and there wasn't much to do for kids. Still, if they find this kind of thing interesting at all (or if they just like to do "whatever dad likes to do"), then they'll probably be entertained.

Ryan Hellmer
01-25-2013, 4:37 PM
I'll just say that the show is less of a show and more like a sidewalk sale. Even quite a few of the vendors are no longer providing the demonstrations they did a few years back. My first time was about 10 years ago (before the economy tanked and Amazon took over the world) and they had TONS of demonstrations. I hope that starts coming back. Really not much for kids/wives to do (although my wife got a big kick out of the carter demonstration where they cut a reindeer out of a tubafour). I'll be there and headed over to Overland tool tomorrow. Can't pass up the prospect of a deal...

Ryan

Chuck Saunders
01-25-2013, 9:10 PM
I went today. The pen turning is there, and the KC Woodturners Club has a good demo that kids like. There are a lot more presenters than in the past.