PDA

View Full Version : Advise on masking

Scott Alberts
01-24-2013, 1:47 PM
Hi all,
I'm new here, and have a brand new Epilog mini arriving soon. I'd like to get a head start on some supplies. I was wondering what you guys use for masking? (sticky paper? liquid mask?) I'm mostly going to be engraving on wood. Both finished and un-finished.

Thanks

Scott Alberts

Tim Bateson
01-24-2013, 2:41 PM
You'll have to try the various masking tapes available from some of the vendors to find what works for you. They have different adhesive levels. I do use that, but 75% of the time I use just plain old Blue painter's tape - I keep 3 different sizes hanging above the laser.

Michael Hunter
01-24-2013, 2:54 PM
Ordinary masking tapes are fine, but difficult to get in widths over about 2" (50mm).

Suppliers of vinyl for signs also sell "transfer tape", which is available in a whole range of widths.
Unfortunately there are two sorts - the sort you want is "paper-based" (the other sort is plastic) and looks like thin masking tape.

"Medium tack" is probably the best all-round solution.

For pre-finished wood, then light tack will work OK.
For raw wood (even when smoothly planed) you need at least medium tack or it will just fall off.
High tack never falls off, but is difficult to remove from small lettering etc.

I keep 6, 8 and 12" rolls, though I find the 6" does not get used much and I won't re-order when that has been used up.

PS Another name for transfer tape is "application tape".

Martin Boekers
01-24-2013, 2:57 PM
I find masking from sign and vinyl suppliers are cheaper than most laser vendors. Colored tape is nice to slightly
etch so you can see positioning better than the white tape.

Scott Alberts
01-24-2013, 3:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. Can anyone point me to a website that sells the transfer tape?

Mike Null
01-24-2013, 3:19 PM
Depending on where you are all sign supply distributors sell it.